Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Happy 4th of July

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    Sorry if I took your thread in a direction you didn't want, Leon. I'll sign-off. Feel free to ask the mods to delete my posts, if you feel that would be appropriate.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      Because I don't believe $92M in tax payer dollars should be spent on an ego-driven campaign rally.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38146[/ATTACH]

Happy birthday, America

You cannot go away fast enough, Trump!
      Is that a still from the 1783 film Top Musket?

Comment

Because I don't believe $92M in tax payer dollars should be spent on an ego-driven campaign rally.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38146[/ATTACH]

Happy birthday, America

You cannot go away fast enough, Trump!
        Seems that many of those who didn't give their review of the parade well before it took place (like CNN) were pleasantly shocked by it in that Trump really kept politics out of it for the most part. And that includes a significant portion of what constitutes the TDS brigade. Slate for one said it was pretty good[1] and "was fairly tame":

Credit where it’s due: The president did not go full authoritarian on the National Mall on Thursday.

At his “Salute to America” event, Donald Trump did not reference his reelection campaign; condemn undocumented immigrants; describe journalists as enemies of the people; or attack Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer, or Bette Midler while standing on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial flanked by the Joint Chiefs of Staff and some of the world’s deadliest military hardware. Yes, this is a low standard, but the president has not always shown the same level of restraint in military settings.

Except for a few brief mentions of border security and the defeat of ISIS, there was almost no discussion of current events, debates, or controversies. The first half of the speech, delivered through a drizzle, though not the downpour that organizers feared and critics hoped would wash out the event, was fairly tame, patriotic boilerplate. It consisted mostly of Trump ticking off references to relatively uncontroversial people and events from “one of the greatest stories ever told, the story of America.” The Revolutionary War, Lewis and Clark, rock ’n’ roll, the Wright brothers, and the Super Bowl all got name-checked. (In what may or may not have been an intentional call back to one of his more bizarre utterances, Trump added some particular emphasis when saluting “Frederick Douglass, the great Frederick Douglass.”)* There were State of the Union–style callouts to distinguished guests, including Apollo 11 mission controller Gene Kranz and civil rights movement veteran and conservative activist Clarence Henderson.

And this was after running multiple stories about how Trump was going to ruin everything.

1. The story was either yanked or the title was changed since it disappeared since the 5th when I read it.
        Last edited by rogue06; 07-06-2019, 01:24 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Click to play...

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
            Hope you all had a good one. I mostly just worked. Finishing up a lot of tasks. Will take some summer vacation later this month.
            For me, it was a hard day of housework - but it so paid off this morning!

Of course, now I've become cleaning obsessive and will probably kill myself, or my back, whichever wears out first!
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Click to play...
              Um, okay...

150622171715-01-confederate-flag-original-super-169.jpgSecond Confederate flag.jpg3rd-confederate-flag-std.jpg
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                Of course, now I've become cleaning obsessive and will probably kill myself, or my back, whichever wears out first!
                I went Marie Kondo on my apartment this saturday.

Comment

My sister and brother-in-law went to the National Mall, as they have for the past 10 years, and said it was the best fireworks display by far they have seen there.
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                    My sister and brother-in-law went to the National Mall, as they have for the past 10 years, and said it was the best fireworks display by far they have seen there.
                    Oh I'm sure it was...
                    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Oh I'm sure it was...
                      I went the first or second summer I was in the area, and tbh wasn't especially impressed.

I didn't get to see any fireworks this year, since they were held at my vacationing spot the night before and I didn't take the time off from work it would have required to see them.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

How bad was the weather in DC, anyway? It was pretty miserable down here in NC that night, though the local display still managed to run.
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                          How bad was the weather in DC, anyway? It was pretty miserable down here in NC that night, though the local display still managed to run.
                          Apparently fairly miserable (I left DC about 7 AM on the 4th), but they managed to find a decent-ish period for Trump's speech and the flyovers, and were able to put on the fireworks display.
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment