Announcement

Collapse

World History 201 Guidelines

Welcome to World History 201.

Find out if Caesar crossed the Rubicon or threw a dollar across it.

This is the forum where world history, in general, can be discussed. Since the WH201, like the other fora in the World History department, is not limited to participation along lines of theology, all may post here.

Please keep the Campus Decorum in mind when posting here--while 'belief' restrictions are not in place, common decency is.

The Tweb rules are in force . . . we're watching you.
Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Who Cracked Enigma?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Cracked Enigma?

OK, just got done watching The Imitation Game, starring Benedict Cumberbatch, about his work in cracking the enigma machine.

Couple of things real quick -- this is NOT a thread about homosexuality. That was obviously a major point of the film, and even if PARTLY true, the way Turing was treated was horrible. I'm going to ask that we skip that part - this is NOT a thread about homosexuality. Got that?

The problem is that I had done a college paper a number of years ago on this, and was fascinated by the work the Polish mathematicians had done, and Alan Turing wasn't in the picture. Could well be because he was a homosexual, I don't know, but that's for another thread. The fact is that I was left with the impression that the Poles were the brains behind cracking enigma.

Obviously, Turing played a MAJOR role in cracking enigma, and it was fascinating watching how that all played out.

So, in doing some factchecking, I find...

Polish codebreakers 'cracked Enigma before Alan Turing

Knowing how Hollywood likes to embellish certain themes, I'm really curious about the truth.

Would the Poles have cracked Enigma without Turing?
    Would Turing have cracked Enigma without the Poles?
    Did it have to be a joint effort?

Again - NOT a thread about homosexuality - apparently, Turing was one, was treated very badly, and ended up committing suicide. I'm extremely sad about that.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    OK, just got done watching The Imitation Game, starring Benedict Cumberbatch, about his work in cracking the enigma machine.
    I want to know what role Cumberbatch played in cracking Enigma.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Smarty britches.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Would the Poles have cracked Enigma without Turing?
        Would Turing have cracked Enigma without the Poles?
        Did it have to be a joint effort?

Again - NOT a thread about homosexuality - apparently, Turing was one, was treated very badly, and ended up committing suicide. I'm extremely sad about that.
        1) Yes, probably. Polish intelligence had "acquired" (read: stolen) a three-rotor Enigma from a German diplomatic pouch at some point in the early 1930s. They took it apart, photographed every single piece of it, then made an exact replica. Before Poland surrendered in November 1939, Polish officers brought it to the UK. If you had a working Enigma machine, you could use it to model what happened when you used different rotor settings. It also helped that the Royal Navy had captured an intact set of Kriegsmarine codebooks and an Enigma from U-110 in November of 1941.

The issue with the three-rotor Enigma, however, was that the Nazis switched to a four-rotor Enigma in early 1942, which eliminated ULTRA's ability to read the Enigma codes for several months.

2) Yes, though it would've taken a much longer period of time. What the Imitation Game left out is how important the replica proved and how the fortunes of war played an incredibly important role in breaking the Enigma code.

3) Not necessarily, but the Polish role shouldn't be underestimated.

Comment

Originally posted by psstein View Post
          1) Yes, probably. Polish intelligence had "acquired" (read: stolen) a three-rotor Enigma from a German diplomatic pouch at some point in the early 1930s. They took it apart, photographed every single piece of it, then made an exact replica. Before Poland surrendered in November 1939, Polish officers brought it to the UK. If you had a working Enigma machine, you could use it to model what happened when you used different rotor settings. It also helped that the Royal Navy had captured an intact set of Kriegsmarine codebooks and an Enigma from U-110 in November of 1941.

The issue with the three-rotor Enigma, however, was that the Nazis switched to a four-rotor Enigma in early 1942, which eliminated ULTRA's ability to read the Enigma codes for several months.

2) Yes, though it would've taken a much longer period of time. What the Imitation Game left out is how important the replica proved and how the fortunes of war played an incredibly important role in breaking the Enigma code.

3) Not necessarily, but the Polish role shouldn't be underestimated.
          Thanks - that's pretty much what I've thought.

Comment

Huh. All this time I was sure it was Batman who cracked E. Nygma.

Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
              Huh. All this time I was sure it was Batman who cracked E. Nygma.

It was Egghead that he cracked.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                It was me. I broke the code. Give ME the credit!

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X