Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The relationship between the brain, mind, thoughts, and consciousness.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anomaly View Post
    So be it. I rest my case; your reply is consistent with Eagleman's and scores of others who fall under the umbrella of theological Materialism as a religious [value] construct, all of which are predicted responses within the hypothesis of value mechanics.

Good luck in your search for truth Shunyadragon, God bless.
    Hint: I am not egocentric enough to search for Truth.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Okay, but I think you're deceiving yourself in your assumption that methodological naturalism "deals only with the science of our physical existence." We are not beings who can switch off our intuitive and prescriptive side to set our brains to rationalize in purely mechanistic ways re scientific pursuits.
      Unless you are suggesting that "our intuitive and prescriptive side” arises naturally from the material world, they cannot we examined via “methodological naturalism” if only because, by definition, methodological naturalism operates on the assumption that nothing supernatural exists.

The pledging allegiance to science is, despite your objection, not a foolish accusation at all. I watched a TED talk today by David Eagleman a neuroscientist at Stanford who coined the phrase Possibilism, the position that replaces "agnostic" with what he feels is a more positive approach to the God question. He feels that we should consider the question of whether God exists from the standpoint of our current knowledge, hence, because we can't with current scientific knowledge rule God out, God must be at least a possibility.
      Fairies or leprechauns must also be a possibility too, but a highly improbable one.
      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

So be it. I rest my case; your reply is consistent with Eagleman's and scores of others who fall under the umbrella of theological Materialism as a religious [value] construct, all of which are predicted responses within the hypothesis of value mechanics.

Good luck in your search for truth Shunyadragon, God bless.
        Hilarious. Isolation is how you deal with a fundamentalist like Shun-ya.

Comment

Originally posted by Zara View Post
          Hilarious. Isolation is how you deal with a fundamentalist like Shun-ya.
          explain fundamentalist in terms of what I have posted
          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
            I don't think anyone here denies that there is a relationship.

The questions of interest are: Just what is the nature of that relationship? What exactly is the mind? Can consciousness be explained at all by science (this is the hard problem)?

The answers to those questions are largely philosophical, not 'scientific'. The scientific research you're presenting makes a number of assumptions about the metaphysics of the mind and related matters, so it's not actually going to answer the questions people are actually interested in.

But it's your thread, fire away posting research that overlooks the questions of actual interest.

Until we've settled the metaphysical questions around the hard problem, we can't make any coherent sense of any research. Depending on what the answer to the problem is, it may not even be relevant at all.
            I've given up trying to have discussions with Shunyadragon. He has trouble comprehending what he reads and then tries to hide his miscomprehension by stubbornly digging in deeper into his mistaken position and repeating mantra-like the shreds of scientific data he's copied and pasted that usually don't even apply to the matter at hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim B. View Post
              I've given up trying to have discussions with Shunyadragon. He has trouble comprehending what he reads and then tries to hide his miscomprehension by stubbornly digging in deeper into his mistaken position and repeating mantra-like the shreds of scientific data he's copied and pasted that usually don't even apply to the matter at hand.
              Yep...
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                Yep...
                Just because you have trouble understanding shunya’s arguments does not necessarily mean that the fault is his. I find most of what he contributes makes perfect sense. I suggest the miscomprehension problem is yours.
                “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment