Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Americans Strongly Dislike PC Culture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    The only event I am aware of is when Doubting John made a mocking remark about Nick's autism.

But still, he wasn't banned was he?
    He was before my time. I'm lucky in that way
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      Anyways, I don't think I"m making my point very clear. PC "culture", like in the OP, isn't so much about making laws and formal rules, but rather about making it socially unacceptable to say certain things. And all I'm saying is that even here, it's not socially acceptable to say certain things. If somebody came on here saying words like "cripple", they wouldn't be very popular.

Whether or not this actually violates TWeb rules has nothing to do with what I'm saying.
      It depends on the individual. As many of the mods know, I use forearm (or "polio") crutches to get around. I often describe myself as a cripple because I find it better to face reality than not.
      I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

Originally posted by ke7ejx View Post
        In the summer my mahogany hair color tends to turn a deep auburn though I'm nowhere near your gingerness. I also have a stepfather. So... sharesies?
        My wife and I and first daughter all have (had) dark brown hair, but my youngest daughter was born with flaming red hair! When my wife would spend time in the sun, her hair would acquire some definite red highlights (so I'm told).

In much of our family tree, there is pretty much always a redhead in each family - the Scot/Irish thing.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by ke7ejx View Post
          It depends on the individual. As many of the mods know, I use forearm (or "polio") crutches to get around. I often describe myself as a cripple because I find it better to face reality than not.
          And if someone were to mock you for your disability, you know we would all be up in arms defending you. But it wouldn't be because of "political correctness" but out of love.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            I am literally a red-headed stepchild.
            Well then I am the gray-headed stepchild of the family! double

Comment

And if someone were to mock you for your disability, you know we would all be up in arms defending you. But it wouldn't be because of "political correctness" but out of love.
              I know it well, Sparkles.
              I am Punkinhead.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                My wife and I and first daughter all have (had) dark brown hair, but my youngest daughter was born with flaming red hair! When my wife would spend time in the sun, her hair would acquire some definite red highlights (so I'm told).

In much of our family tree, there is pretty much always a redhead in each family - the Scot/Irish thing.
                Yup. I come from a pretty Irish family.
                I am Punkinhead.

Comment

While I know PC goes to far in this regard, isn't some of what it is about exactly what you are talking about, just applied to everyone rather than just those close to us? IOW, not calling someone a term that has disdain in it or that minimizes or dismisses them is just a generally appropriate thing to do in a civilized society - no?

Jim
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    "Furriners" is a cutsie way of referring to persons who are foreign to the US of A.
                    Ooooh. I was connecting it back to 4Chan, and thought it was a nickname for Furries or something (those weirdos who dress up in the cartoon animal costumes). "Foreigners" makes more sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                      While I know PC goes to far in this regard, isn't some of what it is about exactly what you are talking about, just applied to everyone rather than just those close to us? IOW, not calling someone a term that has disdain in it or that minimizes or dismisses them is just a generally appropriate thing to do in a civilized society - no?

Jim
                      as the definition I posted says, PC takes it to extreme measures. To the point of ridiculousness. To the point where you are afraid to speak without causing someone offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                        Ooooh. I was connecting it back to 4Chan, and thought it was a nickname for Furries or something (those weirdos who dress up in the cartoon animal costumes). "Foreigners" makes more sense.
                        It's the way Texans refer to them thar people in that ferrin country immediately to our East.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          as the definition I posted says, PC takes it to extreme measures. To the point of ridiculousness. To the point where you are afraid to speak without causing someone offense.
                          That was a decent definition, and should be used as an example of what it is we're discussing.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            He was laughing because someone used "it's" where "its" was proper, and Leonhard's response contained the exact opposite issue.
                            Wow. I totally didn't catch that at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              It's the way Texans refer to them thar people in that ferrin country immediately to our East.
                              Louisiana?

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                He was laughing because someone used "it's" where "its" was proper, and Leonhard's response contained the exact opposite issue.
                                Yeah - I don't get laughing at people for stuff like that. Spell checkers sometimes get it wrong and insert or delete the apostrophe, "'" is a small character and easily missed if the font is small, and sometimes you go back to correct and change the sentence structure and you go from possessive to contraction and miss it.

It really is not an indication of stupidity. It could indicate dyslexia, bad eyesight, poor quality monitor, intermittent faulty keyboard, posting not in one's native language, or a host of other issues that have nothing directly to do with intelligence.

And in the case of JimL, who is routinely pasted, he may just get a kick out of watching you guys go nutso when he does is - sorta like kicking an ant-hill.

Jim
                                Last edited by oxmixmudd; 07-08-2019, 12:26 PM.
                                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment