Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Americans Strongly Dislike PC Culture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Americans Strongly Dislike PC Culture

Americans Strongly Dislike PC Culture

On social media, the country seems to divide into two neat camps: Call them the woke and the resentful. Team Resentment is manned—pun very much intended—by people who are predominantly old and almost exclusively white. Team Woke is young, likely to be female, and predominantly black, brown, or Asian (though white “allies” do their dutiful part). These teams are roughly equal in number, and they disagree most vehemently, as well as most routinely, about the catchall known as political correctness.

Reality is nothing like this. As scholars Stephen Hawkins, Daniel Yudkin, Miriam Juan-Torres, and Tim Dixon argue in a report published Wednesday, “Hidden Tribes: A Study of America’s Polarized Landscape,” most Americans don’t fit into either of these camps. They also share more common ground than the daily fights on social media might suggest—including a general aversion to PC culture.

The study was written by More in Common, an organization founded in memory of Jo Cox, the British MP who was murdered in the run-up to the Brexit referendum. It is based on a nationally representative poll with 8,000 respondents, 30 one-hour interviews, and six focus groups conducted from December 2017 to September 2018.

If you look at what Americans have to say on issues such as immigration, the extent of white privilege, and the prevalence of sexual harassment, the authors argue, seven distinct clusters emerge: progressive activists, traditional liberals, passive liberals, the politically disengaged, moderates, traditional conservatives, and devoted conservatives.

According to the report, 25 percent of Americans are traditional or devoted conservatives, and their views are far outside the American mainstream. Some 8 percent of Americans are progressive activists, and their views are even less typical. By contrast, the two-thirds of Americans who don’t belong to either extreme constitute an “exhausted majority.” Their members “share a sense of fatigue with our polarized national conversation, a willingness to be flexible in their political viewpoints, and a lack of voice in the national conversation.”

Most members of the “exhausted majority,” and then some, dislike political correctness. Among the general population, a full 80 percent believe that “political correctness is a problem in our country.” Even young people are uncomfortable with it, including 74 percent ages 24 to 29, and 79 percent under age 24. On this particular issue, the woke are in a clear minority across all ages.

Youth isn’t a good proxy for support of political correctness—and it turns out race isn’t, either.

Whites are ever so slightly less likely than average to believe that political correctness is a problem in the country: 79 percent of them share this sentiment. Instead, it is Asians (82 percent), Hispanics (87 percent), and American Indians (88 percent) who are most likely to oppose political correctness. As one 40-year-old American Indian in Oklahoma said in his focus group, according to the report:

It seems like everyday you wake up something has changed … Do you say Jew? Or Jewish? Is it a black guy? African-American? … You are on your toes because you never know what to say. So political correctness in that sense is scary.

So, are you part of the majority tired of political correctness?
    Don't care one way or the other
    8.70%
    I'm really tired of Political Correctness
    82.61%
    Political Correctness is a good thing!
    8.70%
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I voted, but it probably doesn't count, because I'm not American.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      I voted, but it probably doesn't count, because I'm not American.

But you're one of us, so...
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm a proud member of the PC Master Race....

...Oh wait, you were talking about the other kind of PC?

Comment

PC stands for Protestant Christian, right?
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Political Correctness is a loaded term. It basically means "speech regulation that I don't like".

There's "Political Correctness" on this forum, there are certain words that can't be said, discussions that can't be had, images that can't be linked to etc. If you want a free speech forum go to 4chan, there you'll find pedophilia cartoons, industrial accidents gloried in, hyper explicit racism, and so forth. Anything less than that could in some fashion be considered "Politically Correct"

So while I get that Conservatives have gripes about some toxic Leftists deeming some things microaggressions, or threatening people for not using a preferred pronoun, we shouldn't forget that there was a time when the Moral Majority wanted to regulate all manner of things and whether they could be shown in television.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
              Political Correctness is a loaded term. It basically means "speech regulation that I don't like".

There's "Political Correctness" on this forum, there are certain words that can't be said, discussions that can't be had, images that can't be linked to etc. If you want a free speech forum go to 4chan, there you'll find pedophilia cartoons, industrial accidents gloried in, hyper explicit racism, and so forth. Anything less than that could in some fashion be considered "Politically Correct"

So while I get that Conservatives have gripes about some toxic Leftists deeming some things microaggressions, or threatening people for not using a preferred pronoun, we shouldn't forget that there was a time when the Moral Majority wanted to regulate all manner of things and whether they could be shown in television.
              Right, many people claim to be for absolute freedom of speech. Few are in practice, and those who are I generally don't want to be around.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                Right, many people claim to be for absolute freedom of speech. Few are in practice, and those who are I generally don't want to be around.
                I'm certainly not for total freedom of speech. But I think we can get downright nutty with the limitations, and I think that's what this topic is all about.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  I'm certainly not for total freedom of speech. But I think we can get downright nutty with the limitations, and I think that's what this topic is all about.
                  You'll get no disagreement from me that 'political correctness' is a bad thing, whether it is practiced overtly as on the left, or implicitly as it is on the right. Free speech itself has somewhat been perverted. It's not really about being able to put a crucifix in pee and call it 'art'. It's about the ability to speak the truth, or more importantly what one believes to be the truth, about a politician or the government without reprisal from the same or those that stand with that person or that implement that government.

Free speech, as originally envisioned, is endangered from all sides by 'political correctness'.

Jim
                  Last edited by oxmixmudd; 07-06-2019, 05:32 PM.
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

If you go on places like Reddit and 4chan, there are plenty of people who are passionate about freedom of speech/PC culture, and they like to go out of their way to push as many of those buttons as possible, to the point where freedom of speech becomes almost associated with the freedom to promote racism, pedophilia, and bullying. I think this is a big reason why some people who are generally reasonable still conclude that PC culture is generally a good thing.

Comment

I'm in favor of total freedom. Yes, you absolutely should have the right to yell, "Fire!" in a crowded theater, but you should also be punished if it results in a panicked stampede. In that case, the crime is creating a panic and not "abusing" free speech. In other words, punish the result and not the means.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

The way I see it freedom of speach implies that you have the freedom and knowledge to understand what you are saying.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          I'm in favor of total freedom. Yes, you absolutely should have the right to yell, "Fire!" in a crowded theater, but you should also be punished if it results in a panicked stampede. In that case, the crime is creating a panic and not "abusing" free speech. In other words, punish the result and not the means.
                          Problem is, if there's a stampede, plenty of other people are going to bear the consequences besides yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            Problem is, if there's a stampede, plenty of other people are going to bear the consequences besides yourself.
                            Yep. And a lot of money wasted trying to create and litigate an ad hoc charge to cover the wrong done.

Jim
                            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              The reason that exception is the classic one is that the result is pretty reliably predictable. There is no legitimate reason to yell FIRE in a crowded theater, unless there's a fire.

Comment