Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Americans Strongly Dislike PC Culture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I think condemning Andrew Jackson is easier than condemning Jefferson (well, not in a theological sense. All Christians should condemn Jefferson for cutting up the Bible and taking out all the supernatural parts) because the Trail of Tears was widely recognized as wrong even at that time, and Jackson ignored the Supreme Court telling him he could not send the Indians on their way (a lack of respect for the rule of law).
    That is, indeed, quite problematic for me.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Jefferson. Isn't he that black guy who moved on up to the East Side?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Jefferson. Isn't he that black guy who moved on up to the East Side?
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Jefferson. Isn't he that black guy who moved on up to the East Side?
          Jefferson was the guy who liked his slaves... if ya know what I mean...
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Jefferson was a guy who liked his slaves... if ya know what I mean...
            Fixed that for you. What Jefferson did was quite common (and has no doubt been common throughout the history of slavery - the Romans certainly had no compunctions about the practice).
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              Fixed that for you. What Jefferson did was quite common (and has no doubt been common throughout the history of slavery - the Romans certainly had no compunctions about the practice).
              I'm still a bit amused how Jefferson's white ancestors got their noses out of joint when his black ancestors wanted their claim to fame as being descendants of Thomas Jefferson.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                I'm still a bit amused how Jefferson's white ancestors got their noses out of joint when his black ancestors wanted their claim to fame as being descendants of Thomas Jefferson.
                It hearkens back to a time when legitimacy mattered.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

It was common but still completely wrong by objective standards.
                  "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
                    Well, yes.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
                      Thank you, Major Obvious.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Thank you, Major Obvious.
                        He seems to be on a kick trying to derail every thread he posts in to a different topic. He was trying to derail the Toxic Masculinity thread onto "kids in cages" and this one onto "subjective v objective morality" - just ignore the troll

Comment

He seems to be on a kick trying to derail every thread he posts in to a different topic. He was trying to derail the Toxic Masculinity thread onto "kids in cages" and this one onto "subjective v objective morality" - just ignore the troll
                          Troll? Do YOU see a Troll? I don't see a Troll! But I DID tot I taw a PUDDYTAT!!!!

Comment

I don't think that can be excused. That would not have been actually accepted by the culture of the time. People might have looked the other way, but it would have been considered wrong, whereas having the slaves would not have been.

Jim
                            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                              I don't think that can be excused. That would not have been actually accepted by the culture of the time. People might have looked the other way, but it would have been considered wrong, whereas having the slaves would not have been.

Jim
                              I'm not sure I want to ask where you got the idea I'm trying to excuse his behavior.

sigpic

Comment

I'm not sure I want to ask where you got the idea I'm trying to excuse his behavior.
                                Originally posted by One Bad Pig
                                What Jefferson did was quite common (and has no doubt been common throughout the history of slavery - the Romans certainly had no compunctions about the practice).
                                How is that not providing the equivalent of the common excuse "Everyone else was doing it!" ?

My point about the culture is not to say that what is right or wrong is defined by what most people were doing. It is to say we have to measure their moral actions against the moral standards of the day. Against what people were taught and what they believed, at the time, to be right and wrong.

Jim
                                Last edited by oxmixmudd; 07-12-2019, 01:03 PM.
                                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment