Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Americans Strongly Dislike PC Culture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    So this happened...

California city votes to ban gendered words as 'manhole' becomes 'maintenance hole'

A California city voted to ban some gender-specific words in its city code and replace them with gender-neutral options.

Berkeley's municipal code will no longer feature words like "manhole" and "manpower," and instead say, "maintenance hole" and "human effort" or "workforce." The measure passed unanimously Tuesday and replaces more than two dozen terms.

Gender-specific references to job titles, like "policeman" and "craftsmen," will also be changed in the code, to "police officer" and "craftspeople" or "artisans."

"Sorority" and "fraternity" would change to "collegiate Greek system residence." And the use of gendered pronouns, like "he" and "she," would be replaced with specific titles, like "the attorney" or "the candidate."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...le/1764901001/

"human effort" -- I wonder if they noticed the word "man" in "human" or did it slip their notice? Should be hupeople.
    That's one small step for a person - one giant leap for personhood.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      That's one small step for a person - one giant leap for personhood.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        Ya just can't win!!!!

That's one small step for an Earthling - one giant leap for peopledom.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Meanwhile...

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Ya just can't win!!!!

That's one small step for an Earthling - one giant leap for peopledom dumb people.
            FIFY n/c

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
              So what will they do if people don't follow their insane dictates?
              It is just the language they use in their government papers, laws, etc.

...All of the citizens of Berkeley are probably using the PC version already, seeing they are all leftist tools.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Meanwhile...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38441[/ATTACH]
                they can't do that since the singular of People is Person which has a mention of male offspring.

Comment

• Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                  they can't do that since the singular of People is Person which has a mention of male offspring.
                  DANG, It's like God set up the whole world for men and women!

Comment

It is just the language they use in their government papers, laws, etc.
                    When I used to do a lot of mission work in Haiti, French was the official language - so government documents had to be in French.
                    The people, however, spoke Creole.
                    Then there were the tourists and missionaries who largely spoke English.

The Baptist Church in Cap Hatien, therefore, had THREE Church services on Sunday morning - the same pastor doing the same sermon first in Creole, then in English, then in French.

Comment

Ya just can't win!!!!

That's one small step for an Earthling - one giant leap for peopledom.
                      can't use people that since person is the singular form of it

Comment

• Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                        can't use people that since person is the singular form of it
                        "thingamajigs?"

Comment

When I used to do a lot of mission work in Haiti, French was the official language - so government documents had to be in French.
                          The people, however, spoke Creole.
                          Then there were the tourists and missionaries who largely spoke English.

The Baptist Church in Cap Hatien, therefore, had THREE Church services on Sunday morning - the same pastor doing the same sermon first in Creole, then in English, then in French.
                          When I was in Haiti (around the same time you were) it seemed most folks know French even if they commonly spoke Creole. The same went for Belize[1]. Most everyone knew English although they generally spoke Creole.

1. I was in-country right before their independence as well as immediate after. Missed the celebration.

Comment

When I was in Haiti (around the same time you were) it seemed most folks know French even if they commonly spoke Creole. The same went for Belize[1]. Most everyone knew English although they generally spoke Creole.

1. I was in-country right before their independence as well as immediate after. Missed the celebration.
                            Pretty much English is one of the languages spoken in almost every country.

...Even on every planet throughout the galaxy!

Comment

Yes, I had two semesters of French, so I was pretty comfortable figuring out what they were saying even when they spoke Creole.

I was in Haiti toward the end of Baby Doc's reign, and we were beginning to think we might not be able to leave... tensions were running high! Our bus (an old school bus) was headed to the airport, when we were suddenly surrounded by soldiers in jeeps with machine guns mounted on them. I could SEE the airport from where we were, but we were commanded to "stay here". There was some commotion, some excited yelling on the radios, then the soldiers ordered us to "stay here" and they went zooming off somewhere. Our bus driver slammed it into first gear, raced to the airport where our DC-3 was already spooled up ready to go, and we ran through 'customs*' without even slowing down, climbed** aboard the DC-3, and were off to Florida!

When we got to our Hotel in Florida that night, we watched the looting and rioting in Cap Haitien, where we had just been!

*'customs' consisted of a kind of a car port with a couple of 6 foot foldable tables, and a couple tonton marcout dudes (who, thankfully, were not on post) checking luggage
                              ** literally "climbed" aboard -- DC-3 is quite the tail dragger.

dc3-plane-feature.jpg

Comment

So this happened...

California city votes to ban gendered words as 'manhole' becomes 'maintenance hole'

A California city voted to ban some gender-specific words in its city code and replace them with gender-neutral options.

Berkeley's municipal code will no longer feature words like "manhole" and "manpower," and instead say, "maintenance hole" and "human effort" or "workforce." The measure passed unanimously Tuesday and replaces more than two dozen terms.

Gender-specific references to job titles, like "policeman" and "craftsmen," will also be changed in the code, to "police officer" and "craftspeople" or "artisans."

"Sorority" and "fraternity" would change to "collegiate Greek system residence." And the use of gendered pronouns, like "he" and "she," would be replaced with specific titles, like "the attorney" or "the candidate."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...le/1764901001/

"human effort" -- I wonder if they noticed the word "man" in "human" or did it slip their notice? Should be hupeople.
                                00000000000000ab000-00aab.jpg

Comment