View Poll Results: Are you tired of Political Correctness?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Don't care one way or the other

1 4.55%
  • I'm really tired of Political Correctness

19 86.36%
  • Political Correctness is a good thing!

2 9.09%
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Americans Strongly Dislike PC Culture

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    How is that not providing the equivalent of the common excuse "Everyone else was doing it!" ?

My point about the culture is not to say that what is right or wrong is defined by what most people were doing. It is to say we have to measure their moral actions against the moral standards of the day. Against what people were taught and what they believed, at the time, to be right and wrong.

Jim
    I'm confused...You actually thought that OBP was excusing sex with slaves because he pointed out that it was relatively common among slave holders? I can't think of anyone in the modern world (outside of perhaps the most depraved racists or something), never mind a fellow Christian you've gotten to know for quite some time, would actually excuse that sort of behavior.

I think sometimes people are too quick to read into other peoples words when all they're simply doing is dropping some factoid or something. I've seen this sort of response to some of my posts in other forums (and at least once in real life) where people will be like, "WHY ARE YOU SUPPORTING THIS!!??," and I'm like..."uh, I'm not. Nothing in what I said could lead anyone to believe I'm supporting it. I'm just throwing in an interesting trivia bit, or providing greater context."

2. Amen ke7ejx, Cow Poke, NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    I'm confused...You actually thought that OBP was excusing sex with slaves because he pointed out that it was relatively common among slave holders? I can't think of anyone in the modern world (outside of perhaps the most depraved racists or something), never mind a fellow Christian you've gotten to know for quite some time, would actually excuse that sort of behavior.

I think sometimes people are too quick to read into other peoples words when all they're simply doing is dropping some factoid or something. I've seen this sort of response to some of my posts in other forums (and at least once in real life) where people will be like, "WHY ARE YOU SUPPORTING THIS!!??," and I'm like..."uh, I'm not. Nothing in what I said could lead anyone to believe I'm supporting it. I'm just throwing in an interesting trivia bit, or providing greater context."
    Can we not go off the deep end here? The comment of mine that is being addressed is the idea that we can't hold people accountable for today's moral standards in a time when they simply didn't exist. In that context, jefferson holding slaves is not the same in the same moral context as someone in and around the time of the civil war holding slaves. But then jefferson having sex with slaves was mentioned.

So I'm not accusing OBP of anything. But I am saying that to say 'It was common at the time' functions as an excuse. So all I'm doing is making the point that it's commonality does not function as an excuse even though that is a potential implication of that statement. I'm not saying anything about what OBP's motive was in making the comment. And no, I don't think OBP thinks sex with slaves is OK. I'm just saying that the fact it was common doesn't mean Jefferson can't be held accountable for knowing it was wrong, because sex with anyone other than your wife was a very bad thing at the time he did it - socially, morally. However, holding slaves didn't rise to that level. Slavery was accepted in the time, and there was, AFAIK, no social or moral code in that culture that was being broken by holding them.

Jim
    OK - maybe there are 'some' friends

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Can we not go off the deep end here? The comment of mine that is being addressed is the idea that we can't hold people accountable for today's moral standards in a time when they simply didn't exist. In that context, jefferson holding slaves is not the same in the same moral context as someone in and around the time of the civil war holding slaves. But then jefferson having sex with slaves was mentioned.

So I'm not accusing OBP of anything. But I am saying that to say 'It was common at the time' functions as an excuse. So all I'm doing is making the point that it's commonality does not function as an excuse even though that is a potential implication of that statement. I'm not saying anything about what OBP's motive was in making the comment. And no, I don't think OBP thinks sex with slaves is OK. I'm just saying that the fact it was common doesn't mean Jefferson can't be held accountable for knowing it was wrong, because sex with anyone other than your wife was a very bad thing at the time he did it - socially, morally. However, holding slaves didn't rise to that level. Slavery was accepted in the time, and there was, AFAIK, no social or moral code in that culture that was being broken by holding them.

Jim
    It seems to me that you should have read enough of OBP's posts by now to know that he's a little smarter than that; That he's not saying that just because slave holders often used their slaves for sex, that it was acceptable (even within the era), or that Jefferson shouldn't be held accountable. I think you have to read into OBP's post to get that out of it. A plain reading of his post merely shows him stating an objective factoid about the common practices of slave holders.

5. Amen Cow Poke, One Bad Pig amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    They say they hate it, but yet they give into it. Politicians and government officials pander to it. Corporations bend the knee to this powerful force of the minority. It's weird.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    They say they hate it, but yet they give into it. Politicians and government officials pander to it. Corporations bend the knee to this powerful force of the minority. It's weird.
    My conclusions from this thread is that hardly anybody actually opposes it in practice, and that at least the way it has been defined in this thread, PC is probably not even a bad thing.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    My conclusions from this thread is that hardly anybody actually opposes it in practice, and that at least the way it has been defined in this thread, PC is probably not even a bad thing.
    I think that would be impossible to claim since none of us, even as Christians, agree about everything all the time, much LESS Christians and non-Christians. It's as bad as the nebulous and meaningless term "hate speech." PC, like hate speech, is simply speech I (predominantly the political left) don't like and have the authority and/or influence to make you stop saying it. And you do realize that in today's cultural and political climate, PC is the major factor (other than spiritual forces) that cultivates animosity towards Christianity?
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    In my former life as local news videographer, it used to amaze me how a single viewer calling in a complaint, no matter how petty, would compel the news director to change the offending matter.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    So much so that the term itself has come to represent the extreme version of itself.
    I think this is the key.... "Political Correctness" as it may have started our originally has moved so far to the extreme that -- yeah, what Sparko said. He is not entirely 100% wrong again.
    I have called you my friends.... Jesus
    Jn 15:15

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I think that would be impossible to claim since none of us, even as Christians, agree about everything all the time, much LESS Christians and non-Christians. It's as bad as the nebulous and meaningless term "hate speech." PC, like hate speech, is simply speech I (predominantly the political left) don't like and have the authority and/or influence to make you stop saying it. And you do realize that in today's cultural and political climate, PC is the major factor (other than spiritual forces) that cultivates animosity towards Christianity?
    Going by the definition provided in post 61, I don't see what redeeming value anybody would find in the sort of speech PC culture discourages, jeremiads aside.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Going by the definition provided in post 61, I don't see what redeeming value anybody would find in the sort of speech PC culture discourages, jeremiads aside.
    The "sort of speech" PC culture discourages is so nebulous and everchanging that you're never really sure which words are allowed to use, and which are forbidden. And then there's the professional victims and people being vicariously offended on the behalf of other that will use any excuse what so ever to find a way to take offense at your words, no matter how innocuous.

13. Amen Cerebrum123, NorrinRadd, One Bad Pig amen'd this post.