View Poll Results: Are you tired of Political Correctness?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Don't care one way or the other

2 8.70%
  • I'm really tired of Political Correctness

19 82.61%
  • Political Correctness is a good thing!

2 8.70%
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Americans Strongly Dislike PC Culture

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Fixed that for you. What Jefferson did was quite common (and has no doubt been common throughout the history of slavery - the Romans certainly had no compunctions about the practice).
    I'm still a bit amused how Jefferson's white ancestors got their noses out of joint when his black ancestors wanted their claim to fame as being descendants of Thomas Jefferson.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    I'm still a bit amused how Jefferson's white ancestors got their noses out of joint when his black ancestors wanted their claim to fame as being descendants of Thomas Jefferson.
    It hearkens back to a time when legitimacy mattered.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Fixed that for you. What Jefferson did was quite common (and has no doubt been common throughout the history of slavery - the Romans certainly had no compunctions about the practice).
    It was common but still completely wrong by objective standards.
    "This is why in my debates with atheists and agnostics I always try to treat them with charity and civility and not engage in name-calling or insults or even just interruptions. I think that is uncivil discourse." - Dr. William Lane Craig.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    Well, yes.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    Thank you, Major Obvious.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Thank you, Major Obvious.
    He seems to be on a kick trying to derail every thread he posts in to a different topic. He was trying to derail the Toxic Masculinity thread onto "kids in cages" and this one onto "subjective v objective morality" - just ignore the troll

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    He seems to be on a kick trying to derail every thread he posts in to a different topic. He was trying to derail the Toxic Masculinity thread onto "kids in cages" and this one onto "subjective v objective morality" - just ignore the troll
    Troll? Do YOU see a Troll? I don't see a Troll! But I DID tot I taw a PUDDYTAT!!!!
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I don't think that can be excused. That would not have been actually accepted by the culture of the time. People might have looked the other way, but it would have been considered wrong, whereas having the slaves would not have been.

Jim
    OK - maybe there are 'some' friends

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    I don't think that can be excused. That would not have been actually accepted by the culture of the time. People might have looked the other way, but it would have been considered wrong, whereas having the slaves would not have been.

Jim
    I'm not sure I want to ask where you got the idea I'm trying to excuse his behavior.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm not sure I want to ask where you got the idea I'm trying to excuse his behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig
    What Jefferson did was quite common (and has no doubt been common throughout the history of slavery - the Romans certainly had no compunctions about the practice).
    How is that not providing the equivalent of the common excuse "Everyone else was doing it!" ?

My point about the culture is not to say that what is right or wrong is defined by what most people were doing. It is to say we have to measure their moral actions against the moral standards of the day. Against what people were taught and what they believed, at the time, to be right and wrong.

Jim
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 07-12-2019 at 11:03 AM.
    OK - maybe there are 'some' friends