Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Noncompliance Kneecaps New Zealand's Gun Control Scheme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Zero View Post
    B-but, is where MM is pulling his statistics from...
    Official Australian crime stats:

https://thefederalist.com/2015/09/03...n-ban-conceit/
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      The murder rate in Australia fell from 1.7 per 100,000 in 1996 to 0.9 per 100,000 in 2018 - official statistics.
      Last edited by Zara; 07-22-2019, 08:47 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zara View Post
        The murder rate in Australia fell from 1.7 per 100,000 in 1996 to 0.9 per 100,000 in 2018 - official statistics.
        Murder rates have been falling in the US too.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Zero View Post
          Yes... violent crime rates sharply spiked after the gun ban and slowly fell over a 20-year period until they settled down to slightly higher than pre-ban levels. So... yay?

Comment

So how did The Federalist become official Australian crime stats? You are pointing to an article, not to stats. In the article you point to, there is a statement about the Australian government’s own statistics. If you had cared to actually look at it, you would find the interesting "Page not found" message.
            "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
              So how did The Federalist become official Australian crime stats?
              They're quoting official Australian crime stats, you dip wad (as if you didn't know. )

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                Murder rates have been falling in the US too.
                With a dramatic drop in homicides involving firearms -- while simultaneously the number of guns in private hands has skyrocketed.

Go figure.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

They're quoting official Australian crime stats, you dip wad (as if you didn't know. )
                  Nope. There is general statement on how things devolopped in what appears to be an opinion based article. And when you want to go to the source you get the "page not found" message.
                  "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Yes... violent crime rates sharply spiked after the gun ban and slowly fell over a 20-year period until they settled down to slightly higher than pre-ban levels. So... yay?
                    No, they settled down to half those of the pre-ban period by 2018. That is a HUGE reduction - half the number of people murdered. They also did not 'sharply spike', 'total homicide and related offences' (including attempted murder and manslaughter) were the highest in 1996, at 5.8 per 100,000, in 1999 they stood at 5.1, falling to 3.8 per 100,000 by 2005. At no point was that statistic higher than prior to the ban.

Why not quote me some more biased sources where the link to the official statistics is broken.

Comment

No, they settled down to half those of the pre-ban period by 2018. That is a HUGE reduction - half the number of people murdered. They also did not 'sharply spike', 'total homicide and related offences' (including attempted murder and manslaughter) were the highest in 1996, at 5.8 per 100,000, in 1999 they stood at 5.1, falling to 3.8 per 100,000 by 2005. At no point was that statistic higher than prior to the ban.

Why not quote me some more biased sources where the link to the official statistics is broken.
                      Can you explain why you’re ignoring the fact that the US has also enjoyed drops in homicides, despite taking an opposite approach to guns?
                      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                        Can you explain why you’re ignoring the fact that the US has also enjoyed drops in homicides, despite taking an opposite approach to guns?
                        End of the crack epidemic, where murder was fueled by guns and crack. Completely unrelated to more guns. Meanwhile, the murder rate in the US remains 5x that of most developed countries - can you explain that?
                        Last edited by Zara; 07-22-2019, 09:19 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                          And yet, in Australia where guns are banned, the number of gun-related deaths is 1.04 per thousand whereas in the USA, where gun ownership is common, the number of gun related deaths is 19.51 per thousand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ted_death_rate

In short, “US homicide rates were 7.0 times higher than in other high-income countries…”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26551975

The figures speak for themselves.

um that is per 100,000, not per 1,000, and the homicides were 4.46 per 100K

But again, you ignore all other homicides and the fact that most of Australia is rural and you have hardly any large cities with gangs.

Comment

End of the crack epidemic, where murder was fueled by guns and crack. Completely unrelated to more guns. Meanwhile, the murder rate in the US remains 5x that of most developed countries - can you explain that?
                            Wealth and power attracting criminal elements. Did you know that most US homicides are related to drugs, in some way?
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Where are you getting that from? Any sources? Because crack is still a big problem and really has nothing to do with guns any more than any other drugs. And again, that would be criminals who are using the guns they probably bought illegally. Which they would do even if you outlawed guns. Do you think outlaws will just stop using guns if they are outlawed?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                Where are you getting that from? Any sources? Because crack is still a big problem and really has nothing to do with guns any more than any other drugs. And again, that would be criminals who are using the guns they probably bought illegally. Which they would do even if you outlawed guns. Do you think outlaws will just stop using guns if they are outlawed?
                                I thought it was more or less common knowledge that the crack epidemic was at its height in the 80s.

Comment