Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 201

Thread: Noncompliance Kneecaps New Zealand's Gun Control Scheme

  1. #51
    tWebber Mountain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    15,966
    Amen (Given)
    5522
    Amen (Received)
    5513
    Quote Originally Posted by Zara View Post
    So, nuclear arms?
    So, a straw man?
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God


    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

  2. #52
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Faith
    Unspecified
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    136
    Amen (Given)
    0
    Amen (Received)
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    So, a straw man?
    Is it? You appear to have some standard of what is and is not allowed. I assume nuclear weapons are not allowed? I don't see how this is a straw man.

  3. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.
  4. #53
    tWebber Mountain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    15,966
    Amen (Given)
    5522
    Amen (Received)
    5513
    Quote Originally Posted by Zara View Post
    Is it?
    Yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zara View Post
    You appear to have some standard of what is and is not allowed. I assume nuclear weapons are not allowed? I don't see how this is a straw man.
    If you can give me a good reason why you think the average person should be allowed to possess something like a nuclear weapon then make your case.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God


    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

  5. #54
    tWebber Mountain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    15,966
    Amen (Given)
    5522
    Amen (Received)
    5513
    Quote Originally Posted by Zara View Post
    The constitutional right to bear "ANY arms"?

    You made the case, I am questioning its merit. The proviso to the case then seems to be "a good reason why"? But it also appears to be a "good reason why not".

    Which is the reason we would limit access to nuclear weapons, rather than a good reason why, it's a good reason, why not?
    So what you're saying is that you can't make a case for the possession of nuclear weapons in private hands.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God


    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

  6. #55
    tWebber Mountain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    15,966
    Amen (Given)
    5522
    Amen (Received)
    5513
    Quote Originally Posted by Zara View Post
    Your claim didn't need a case to be made. You've changed the goal posts. Which is fine, but it wasn't obvious from your statement. Or the second amendment itself.

    Who are you to decide what I in my freedom decide is a good reason for me to have one?

    Fyi, I don't want one.
    I haven't moved the goal posts. You've just been unable to score a goal.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God


    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

  7. #56
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Faith
    Unspecified
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    136
    Amen (Given)
    0
    Amen (Received)
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    I haven't moved the goal posts. You've just been unable to score a goal.
    I concede the point. And will leave the thread.

  8. #57
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    48,074
    Amen (Given)
    4781
    Amen (Received)
    21277
    Quote Originally Posted by Zara View Post
    But if you have a gun, then they too will come with a gun, now its a gun fight. Gun fights tend to end badly. I really don't see it as improving safety. Law enforcement current comes down very hard on armed offenders. So hard, that people tend to not use guns unless they're particularly feral. In which case it tends to be gang related - and not affecting people not involved in organised crime.
    1. How would they know whether you have a gun or not? If they have access to a gun they will bring it regardless. If they don't, I still want to have one to protect myself. 2. No criminal expects to get caught and would think "Gee I better not bring a gun because they will be harsher on me"





    I think they want to prevent a high bullet magazines. Again, this seems justified. There are very few situations in which it is required - now people will need to reload more often.
    And could possibly die while having to reload. No, I want the largest magazine I can get. My current gun has a 17 cartridge capacity. You don't know how many people you will be facing during a break in, nor how well you can shoot in a stressful situation.

    Weapons are deterrents. Actually shooting people tends to be a very much last last resort, and basically never happens in New Zealand anyway. It's usually the armed offenders squad that deals with armed people.
    You don't actually seem to know much about guns, Zara. If you have to point a gun at someone you need to be ready and willing to use it. It isn't a 'deterrent' - it is self-defense and your life is on the line. You also don't shoot to wound (as I have heard others say) you shoot to kill.



    Again, I don't see a need to have an armed citizenry.
    As someone who seems not to know much about guns, that opinion doesn't really mean that much. And I am not mocking you or being derisive. I just mean that if you want your opinion to matter it needs to be informed.


    People like to hunt, sport and defend themselves with weapons. While I can understand why some government say no to some of that, I can also see why it's not the end of the world for that to be an option. Therefore I would not vote to take away those privileges. However, here weapons are a privilege, not a right.
    In the USA they are a right. And I would argue that protecting your life is a human right everywhere. And a gun is an effective way to protect your life. Therefore they should be available to anyone who wants to protect their life.

  9. #58
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    48,074
    Amen (Given)
    4781
    Amen (Received)
    21277
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Yes.


    If you can give me a good reason why you think the average person should be allowed to possess something like a nuclear weapon then make your case.
    A nuclear weapon is not a defensive or a personal weapon. It is a weapon of mass offensiveness and destruction which would kill you as well as everyone around you.

  10. #59
    tWebber Mountain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    15,966
    Amen (Given)
    5522
    Amen (Received)
    5513
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    A nuclear weapon is not a defensive or a personal weapon. It is a weapon of mass offensiveness and destruction which would kill you as well as everyone around you.
    Exactly. There is no good argument for private ownership of nuclear weapons even if you interpret the 2nd Amendment as broadly as possible.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God


    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

  11. #60
    Child of the One True King Raphael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Middle Earth, New Zealand
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,164
    Amen (Given)
    2625
    Amen (Received)
    3001
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Exactly. There is no good argument for private ownership of nuclear weapons even if you interpret the 2nd Amendment as broadly as possible.
    that really depends on exactly how annoying your neighbours are....
    TheologyWeb Needs YOU! - Please Help Us Upgrade Tweb! Click here for more info


    "If you can ever make any major religion look absolutely ludicrous, chances are you haven't understood it"
    -Ravi Zacharias, The New Age: A foreign bird with a local walk

    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

    "...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

  12. Amen Zymologist, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •