Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Noncompliance Kneecaps New Zealand's Gun Control Scheme

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphael View Post
    might have something to do with the fact that Winston is a lying, thieving, traitor. (not to mention drunkard). Shane Jones is a bully boy. Tracey Martin does just plain nasty as her default response to anything. Ron Mark is a [censored].
    I've met Tracey Martin in person. She seemed nice. I thought at the time, if NZF hadn't turned me off them for life due to other failings, I would consider voting for them because she seemed sensible. Sad to hear she's nasty in general.

Because the time frame was set by our Glorious Leader.
    I strongly dislike cults of leadership. Unfortunately in all countries people tend to vote based on the party leader. It was painful under Key and it's painful under Jacinda.

And I think you are not comprehending how much I despise our Coalition of Losers.
    Hmm, it's clear you dislike them. I find it hard to fathom entirely why. I can see why someone might think the ACT MP is a bit of a joke. I can see why someone might have strong opinions of the personal failings of NZF above - Winston is generally the most personally polarizing politician in NZ, and Shane Jones has a bad record. I can see why someone might think many / most of the National MPs are jerks and idiots as they range from utter dufuses like Gerry Brownlee, to front-stabbers like Judith Collins, to random nutters like Jami-Lee Ross, to the ever-ineffectual Simon Bridges. But in the Labour and Green parties there's really just not as many horrible personalities or idiotic people... the Green party are a bunch of well-intentioned do-gooders who seem not only competent at science and economics but good at using them to inform their policies, and Labour seem like a bunch of well-intentioned but dithering centrists who are never quite sure if they want to be National-lite with their policies or Green-lite, and for a while everyone in Labour wanted to be the leader of their party but they seem to have sorted themselves out now. And while Labour does occasionally seem to feature some underwhelming ministerial performances like any government does, neither Labour nor the Greens seem to have the sort of cut-throat polarizing extremist in-it-for-myself personalities that are standard-issue in National and NZF. So I don't think your dislike of them is rational.

Most people I've talked (and I know people on both sides of the political spectrum who are gun owners) think that it's a stupid law.
    I don't have a lot of sympathy because I don't ever seem to see gun owners being helpful on the issue. There never seems to be "oh, here's a idea for what you can do to save lives!" It's always "No! Terrible idea! Don't do that law! It will be terrible!" It's a bunch of people who have screamed 'wolf' for the past 2 decades anytime any piece of gun legislation has ever been talked about, and never ever ever offered any actual useful constructive idea of their own into the public sphere. So when they cry wolf now, everyone ignores them, and if as a result they get hurt, they've only got themselves to blame.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphael View Post
    erm, we don't actually know how many guns are in NZ. We don't register guns. We register the owners.
    I was merely correcting the cited information. I agree that the 1.5M is probably a guess, given the registration situation.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Hey, welcome back!

An alt for Starlight?

4. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post

An alt for Starlight?
    That's my guess!
    DuckDuckGo - Privacy Simplified

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    An alt for Starlight?
    Yes. TWeb's password recovery feature doesn't appear to be functioning properly, so I can't access my Starlight account, and have no interest in any permanent return to the site anyway. But I spotted I had made this parody account for a joke post once, so thought I'd use it for this thread.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Atheist Poop View Post
    I spotted I had made this parody account for a joke post once...
    And how did that differ from your usual contributions?
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Atheist Pope View Post
    Yes. TWeb's password recovery feature doesn't appear to be functioning properly, so I can't access my Starlight account, and have no interest in any permanent return to the site anyway. But I spotted I had made this parody account for a joke post once, so thought I'd use it for this thread.
    Contrary to and in violation of Tweb's rules, I might add...

We highly discourage the use of multiple registered screen names to any one single member, unless approved by an administrator. Screen names may be transferred and changed but we will request that the member choose only 1 name to post with, all other aliases will be removed. Members failing to follow this protocol may be banned without notice. Members who register a new screen name to avoid a ban, moderation or other restriction on their primary account may have their new and primary accounts banned permanently.

9. Amen mossrose amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Atheist Pope View Post
    Great to see you again. I haven't been here much recently. Partly because you haven't.
    "That is the little thing, the small thing, which Trump demands of his followers: To call hot cold. To call black white. To call wrong right." Michael Gerson

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    Great to see you again. I haven't been here much recently. Partly because you haven't.
    Awwwww, that's so precious.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Awwwww, that's so precious.
    It's essentially an admission that he's not confident he can hold his own around here.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

13. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.