Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Noncompliance Kneecaps New Zealand's Gun Control Scheme

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    It's essentially an admission that he's not confident he can hold his own around here.
    Let's see you provide the premisses that necessarily lead to that conclusion.
    "This is why in my debates with atheists and agnostics I always try to treat them with charity and civility and not engage in name-calling or insults or even just interruptions. I think that is uncivil discourse." - Dr. William Lane Craig.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Atheist Pope View Post
    Yes. TWeb's password recovery feature doesn't appear to be functioning properly, so I can't access my Starlight account, and have no interest in any permanent return to the site anyway. But I spotted I had made this parody account for a joke post once, so thought I'd use it for this thread.
    00000000000000ab000-00ax.jpg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

3. Amen Adrift, RumTumTugger, Raphael, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    Great to see you again. I haven't been here much recently. Partly because you haven't.
    And you just happened to return at exactly the same time he returned.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

5. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Starlight probably did not use the same password for the account all the time...
    "This is why in my debates with atheists and agnostics I always try to treat them with charity and civility and not engage in name-calling or insults or even just interruptions. I think that is uncivil discourse." - Dr. William Lane Craig.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Starlight you will be getting an email from Mossy at your email listed on your Atheist Pope account. Respond to it and we will get this straightened out.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    Great to see you again. I haven't been here much recently. Partly because you haven't.
    Thanks, but responses in this thread plus behind-the-scenes are reminding me why I left. I really only returned for this thread to correct the woeful misinformation about my country's gun buyback.

Rogue, the two accounts had different passwords. Furthermore TWeb's password recovery feature worked for one account and not the other, seems like a weird bug.

Raphael, further to our discussion, I would argue that voting should not really be based on whether one 'likes' the politicians in a party or whether one thinks they are 'good people' and that doing so is close to as bad as voting based on leadership-cult. Politicians aren't people you have a beer with or whom you're voting to socialize with. They're people enacting policies. Any person should cast their vote, IMO, primarily based on the policies they think that party would enact. IMO any feelings about personalities etc should be very much secondary to the legislation that's being passed. That said, I'll admit that I've personally been lucky enough that the parties I've voted for (Green in the last decade) have had MPs who were inoffensive, so I didn't have to ever hold my nose at the people while I voted for their party on policy.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Article from a couple of hours into the first buy-back event seems positive...

Long queues at Government's first gun buy-back event:
    Acting Canterbury District Commander Mike Johnson said police were "really pleased" with the turnout.

"Police recognise that this is a big change for the law abiding firearms community and we are hearing really positive feedback from people as they come through today that they are finding the process works well for them."

Ray Berard, who moved to New Zealand from Canada 25 years ago, said he "almost" got what he paid for his AR15 because he had kept it in good condition... He believed there was no need for military-style firearms in modern society... "[You can] do a lot of damage to a lot of people ... if you're mentally unwell and you have a weapon that can shoot 100 rounds a minute. How do you police that?"

Recreational hunter Nathan Dougherty said he felt good about the buy-back "because it's the right thing to do"... "At some stage the community has to say there is a risk where these weapons shouldn't be held and let's take them all out ... I'm really OK with that. [The March terror attack was] such a terrible thing to happen that we all need to play a part in making society a little bit safer. We give up something but we make each other safer."...

A competition and recreational shooter, who was second through the door and asked not to be named, said the buy back had gone "really well". He believed he had received a fair price for his mint condition, Russian-made AK47, which he had customised and used to shoot wallabies. "Some of my friends said it would a debacle and I wouldn't get a fair price but I think the price was good enough. I'm not going to buy another gun. I've still got two in my safe anyway."

All of the gun-owners they interviewed seemed to be happy with the price they were being paid for the weapons, even those who had been initially worried about this (which makes me wonder as a tax-payer if the govt is paying too much for them). Apparently this first buy-back event runs all weekend.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    Thanks, but responses in this thread plus behind-the-scenes are reminding me why I left. I really only returned for this thread to correct the woeful misinformation about my country's gun buyback.
    Less than a week to find a thread that directly mentions you? Looks like you've been floating around TWeb longer than you're letting on. What's the saying around here? "You can check out any time you like, But you can never leave!" Contrary to your declarations, you're not going anywhere anytime soon.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    Less than a week to find a thread that directly mentions you? Looks like you've been floating around TWeb longer than you're letting on. What's the saying around here? "You can check out any time you like, But you can never leave!" Contrary to your declarations, you're not going anywhere anytime soon.
    And that's a good thing, right?

Welcome back Star.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    And that's a good thing, right?

Welcome back Star.
    Let there be Starlight.

13. Amen Tassman amen'd this post.