Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Noncompliance Kneecaps New Zealand's Gun Control Scheme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    The same media outlet wrote several different versions of the same article which it released over the course of the weekend as the buyback progressed. I think the 169 number was from halfway through the first day. Here's a later one, Government's first gun buy-back scheme secures banned weapons worth $1 million, which cites the number of guns collected as "over 500". So they seem about on track for their estimate of buying back $200m worth of weapons over the course of 258 such buy-back events over the next 3 months.

The media here is very right-wing for the most part, and numerous people in the media hate the current center/left government. If there's anything bad to report about what the government's doing, they will.
    500 guns is still nothing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      So, basically an exact opposite of the US.
      Remember Starlight thinks Stalin is "right-wing"

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        I think he's trying to walk that back just a smidge.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It isn't so much that he thinks Stalin was right-wing, as he apparently defines authoritarianism and dictatorships as right-wing. Good to know that leftists can't be authoritarian, I guess.
          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
            A point not worth making because...
            No, no, no. I'm not going to let you pull the same cheap stunt twice.

MM said:
            But if you look at the 30-years before and the 30-years after, the death toll from mass killings is roughly same, and your rates of violent crime, homicide, and suicide are higher now than before the ban.

And you clumsily attempted to change it to deaths caused exclusively by firearms.
            Demonstrably false. “In Australia we went from 614 firearm deaths in 1990 to 274 in 2016. That’s a fall from 3.4 deaths per 100,000 people to 1 per 100,000 in 2016,”

And now you are trying to do it again.

The fact is that the homicide rate has essentially remained the same from what it was before the ban. That is what you are so desperately trying to distract attention from and, as I noted
            Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            All they care about is that those being killed aren't dying by gun violence. They don't seem to be concerned about those killed by other means. Apparently it makes them less dead or something.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I think he's trying to walk that back just a smidge.
              I'd like to see that since he doubled down defending the claim when he was initially called out on it.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I have Rogue's brain in a jar on my bookshelf - it's at LEAST as big as a ping pong ball.
                And I want it back! I'm having to make do with yours which is marble-size

Comment

500 guns is still nothing.
                  And as Raph has noted the actual number was about half of that since a couple hundred of the items turned in weren't firearms but parts.

So in effect the number turned in was half of nothing

These dismal results goes a long way in explaining why the MSM dropped this like a hot rock.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                    It isn't so much that he thinks Stalin was right-wing, as he apparently defines authoritarianism and dictatorships as right-wing. Good to know that leftists can't be authoritarian, I guess.
                    He has explicitly declared that Stalin was a right-winger on more than one occasion

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      And as Raph has noted the actual number was about half of that since a couple hundred of the items turned in weren't firearms but parts.

So in effect the number turned in was half of nothing

These dismal results goes a long way in explaining why the MSM dropped this like a hot rock.
                      They were talking about two different articles. The first article Starlight posted during the buyback said 200+ guns and 200+ parts. But the article after the buyback that Starlight linked to when he talked about 500 guns did say 540 guns and 500+ parts were turned in.

Comment

They were talking about two different articles. The first article Starlight posted during the buyback said 200+ guns and 200+ parts. But the article after the buyback that Starlight linked to when he talked about 500 guns did say 540 guns and 500+ parts were turned in.
                        The Stuff article is the only one I can find that mentions 500 guns. The NZ Herald, RadioNZ, and NewsHub all have articles referring to the lower amount.
                        Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                        1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                        -Ben Witherington III

Comment

• Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                          The Stuff article is the only one I can find that mentions 500 guns. The NZ Herald, RadioNZ, and NewsHub all have articles referring to the lower amount.
                          Maybe it was "ministerially speaking"..... Pastor looks over the crowd of 34 people.... "So glad to see HUNDREDS of you this morning....."
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Maybe it was "ministerially speaking"..... Pastor looks over the crowd of 34 people.... "So glad to see HUNDREDS of you this morning....."
                            Sounds like a Democrat political rally.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                              That is what I found as well.

Now the question is, did starlight pick a source that had latter figures than everyone else, or did starlight cherry pick the only source that gave a higher (though still ridiculously low) number.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                That is what I found as well.

Now the question is, did starlight pick a source that had latter figures than everyone else, or did starlight cherry pick the only source that gave a higher (though still ridiculously low) number.
                                well since his MO is to cherry pick I go with the 2nd option.

Comment