Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Noncompliance Kneecaps New Zealand's Gun Control Scheme

Noncompliance Kneecaps New Zealand's Gun Control Scheme

The Kiwis are rebelling?

Once again, responding to a horrendous crime by inflicting knee-jerk, authoritarian restrictions on innocent people proves to be an ineffective means of convincing people to obey. Specifically, New Zealand's government—which also stepped up censorship and domestic surveillance after bloody attacks on two Christchurch mosques earlier this year—is running into stiff resistance to new gun rules from firearms owners who are slow to surrender now-prohibited weapons and will probably never turn them in.

Officials should have seen it coming.

"Police are anticipating a number of people with banned firearms in their possession won't surrender them," Stuff reported at the end of May, based on internal government documents.

As of last week, only around 700 weapons had been turned over. There are an estimated 1.5 million guns—with an unknown number subject to the new prohibition on semiautomatic firearms—in the country overall.

Traditionally relaxed in its approach to firearms regulation, and enjoying a low crime rate, New Zealand has no firearms registration rule. That means authorities have no easy way of knowing what guns are in circulation or who owns them.

"These weapons are unlikely to be confiscated by police because they don't know of their existence," Philippa Yasbek of Gun Control NZ admitted. "These will become black-market weapons if their owners choose not to comply with the law and become criminals instead."

Yasbek's organization advocates registering all guns in private hands. But that won't help with gathering guns already in the possession of owners appalled by the government's attack on the rights of innocent people—government attacks, it's worth noting, that come in response to the crimes of one man who explicitly anticipated just such a response.

"I chose firearms for the affect it would have on social discourse," the killer wrote in a document he released to explain his crimes. "The gun owners of New Zealand are a beaten, miserable bunch of baby boomers, who have long since given up the fight. When was the last time they won increased rights? Their loss was inevitable. I just accelerated things a bit."

Politicians fulfilled the murderer's predictions with panic-driven legislation.

That gun owners would, in large numbers, defy restrictions should have been anticipated by anybody who knows the history of government attempts to disarm their subjects—or who just glanced across the Tasman Sea to Australia.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    This is Exhibit A in why mass gun confiscation simply isn't going to happen in the US. It didn't work there, where ownership rates are lower and the gun culture that exists in the US doesn't exist. Even if some future government tried it... good luck going anywhere with it.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

3. Amen Cow Poke, Teallaura, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    This is Exhibit A in why mass gun confiscation simply isn't going to happen in the US. It didn't work there, where ownership rates are lower and the gun culture that exists in the US doesn't exist. Even if some future government tried it... good luck going anywhere with it.
    It's not necessarily about getting all unlawful guns (although that would be ideal), it's about making it very hard to get the type of guns that can result in a mass shooting like in Christchurch. Australia passed similar laws two decades ago, which have been successful, and today the number of mass shootings is almost non-existent, and usually family related when it does happen: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_la...s_in_Australia

The terrorist probably came to NZ because of easy access to firearms. Which is something the government, with the support of most of the populace, has endeavored to change. If Australia is anything to go by, it will be largely successful, particularly if good law abiding conservative people, do not break the law.
    Last edited by Zara; 07-08-2019 at 05:26 PM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    A good example of why we don't want gun registration in the USA.

Wow, 700 out of 1.5 Million? It's almost as if New Zealanders don't agree with their government or something.

Hopefully NZ will take notice of the mass objection and repeal their idiotic ban.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post

Wow, 700 out of 1.5 Million? It's almost as if New Zealanders don't agree with their government or something.

Hopefully NZ will take notice of the mass objection and repeal their idiotic ban.
    I wonder how starlight is taking the news that his country is chock-full of crazed right-wing gun nuts.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

7. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    I wonder how starlight is taking the news that his country is chock-full of crazed right-wing gun nuts.
    Not through surprise, I'm sure. If you're that far to the left, everybody is right wing.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

9. Amen Sparko, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Not through surprise, I'm sure. If you're that far to the left, everybody is right wing.
    Yeah when you call Joseph Stalin a right-winger and then double and triple down trying to defend it

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    I posted this with him in mind.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post

700 targeted weapons out of an unknown number of targeted weapons. There are 1.5 million guns overall - but they are not all banned.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Child of the One True King Raphael's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    700 targeted weapons out of an unknown number of targeted weapons. There are 1.5 million guns overall - but they are not all banned.
    erm, we don't actually know how many guns are in NZ. We don't register guns. We register the owners.
    TheologyWeb Needs YOU! - Please Help Us Upgrade Tweb! Click here for more info

"If you can ever make any major religion look absolutely ludicrous, chances are you haven't understood it"
    -Ravi Zacharias, The New Age: A foreign bird with a local walk

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III