Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Noncompliance Kneecaps New Zealand's Gun Control Scheme

Child of the One True King Raphael's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    They were talking about two different articles. The first article Starlight posted during the buyback said 200+ guns and 200+ parts. But the article after the buyback that Starlight linked to when he talked about 500 guns did say 540 guns and 500+ parts were turned in.
    The Stuff article is the only one I can find that mentions 500 guns. The NZ Herald, RadioNZ, and NewsHub all have articles referring to the lower amount.
    TheologyWeb Needs YOU! - Please Help Us Upgrade Tweb! Click here for more info

"If you can ever make any major religion look absolutely ludicrous, chances are you haven't understood it"
    -Ravi Zacharias, The New Age: A foreign bird with a local walk

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphael View Post
    The Stuff article is the only one I can find that mentions 500 guns. The NZ Herald, RadioNZ, and NewsHub all have articles referring to the lower amount.
    Maybe it was "ministerially speaking"..... Pastor looks over the crowd of 34 people.... "So glad to see HUNDREDS of you this morning....."
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Maybe it was "ministerially speaking"..... Pastor looks over the crowd of 34 people.... "So glad to see HUNDREDS of you this morning....."
    Sounds like a Democrat political rally.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphael View Post
    That is what I found as well.

Now the question is, did starlight pick a source that had latter figures than everyone else, or did starlight cherry pick the only source that gave a higher (though still ridiculously low) number.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

5. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Department Head
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    That is what I found as well.

Now the question is, did starlight pick a source that had latter figures than everyone else, or did starlight cherry pick the only source that gave a higher (though still ridiculously low) number.
    well since his MO is to cherry pick I go with the 2nd option.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    No, no, no. I'm not going to let you pull the same cheap stunt twice.
    You clipped the very point being made, that’s the “cheap stunt”. I said that this was a “point not worth making because MM excluded the “outlier”, as he called it, of the Port Arthur massacre and with it the potential for further mass shootings”.

This is the topic, not “killings” per se.

What the Australian government did was respond to the Port Arthur mass shooting in 1996 by buying-back and banning firearms. And there have been NO mass shootings in Australia since.

NZ is sensibly respoding to its mass shooting in Christchurch the same way. Something the US, with its monthly mass shootings could well learn from:

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...nes-full-data/
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    You clipped the very point being made, that’s the “cheap stunt”. I said that this was a “point not worth making because MM excluded the “outlier”, as he called it, of the Port Arthur massacre and with it the potential for further mass shootings”.

This is the topic, not “killings” per se.

What the Australian government did was respond to the Port Arthur mass shooting in 1996 by buying-back and banning firearms. And there have been NO mass shootings in Australia since.

NZ is sensibly respoding to its mass shooting in Christchurch the same way. Something the US, with its monthly mass shootings could well learn from:

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...nes-full-data/
    He was talking about the homicide rate in Australia since Port Arthur and how it has not dropped so it matters not a whit whether or not he considers it an outlier.

And "Mother Jones"? Really?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    He was talking about the homicide rate in Australia since Port Arthur and how it has not dropped so it matters not a whit whether or not he considers it an outlier.
    No, he’s actually talking about the homicide rate before and after the gun ban and claiming it made no difference. But he like you is missing the point. The firearms ban was in reaction to the mass shooting in which 35 people were killed and 23 wounded in Port Arthur, with the intention that such a mass shooting never occur in Australia again.

And it hasn’t.

In short, the firearms ban succeeded in its intention. Similarly, the same will no doubt apply in NZ also.

And "Mother Jones"? Really?
    Perhaps you would prefer The Guardian, same figures but with nice graphs? “Mass shootings in the US: there have been 1,624 in 1,870 days. No other developed nation comes close to the rate of US gun violence."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...s-gun-violence
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    No, he’s actually talking about the homicide rate before and after the gun ban and claiming it made no difference.
    Umm, that is what I said.
    But he like you is missing the point. The firearms ban was in reaction to the mass shooting in which 35 people were killed and 23 wounded in Port Arthur, with the intention that such a mass shooting never occur in Australia again.
    His and my point is that while it may have decreased the number of firearms-related homicide, folks just found other ways to kill each other since the homicide rate did not drop. That is what you keep trying to distract and deflect attention from.

And your cavalier dismissive attitude toward those killed by means other than by someone using a firearm is blatantly obvious for all to see. All you care about are those killed by a gun. It is crystal clear that all that matters to you is what was used by the killer to commit homicide with and if it isn't a gun then it doesn't matter.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Tassman: "Stop proving me wrong you guys!!! "