Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Noncompliance Kneecaps New Zealand's Gun Control Scheme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    It is always a plus to know what you are arguing about.
    Well, I was also aiming for semi-automatics that could easily be converted into automatic weapons. So, if you agreed that the first is hard to acquire, then the second too should be hard to acquire. I suspect that the second is actually quite easy to do - with the whole Nevada attack. So, that was my aim with the good.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      AR-15s are not "automatic weapons" they are semi-automatic. You don't seem to know the difference, which makes your opinion regarding guns less than useful in a gun control debate. An AR-15 is operationally no different than any hunting rifle, it just looks scarier.

And just for your info:
      An Automatic weapon would be one where when you hold down the trigger, it just keeps shooting - a machine gun for example. A semi-auto requires you to press the trigger for each shot.
      I know the difference in so far as it is not hard to convert a semi-automatic into something similar to automatic. Or at least, sufficiently automatic to give rise to its use in mass shootings.

Most people own guns for sport and self-protection. Protection against muggers, burglars, home invaders, and so on.
      Although it significantly raises the stakes, and the risks involved.

But I know, I have no problem with that sentiment - it is not a cultural thing where I am from, so I see it as strange that anyone would do so, however, I understand that some people grow up with a different culture. I live somewhere where I see no reason to even have a gun for self-defence. I personally do not believe that it would make the world safer if everyone had guns on them all the time, it just creates an atmosphere of distrust and risk if someone said something about someone and they got angry, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Zara View Post
        Well, I was also aiming for semi-automatics that could easily be converted into automatic weapons. So, if you agreed that the first is hard to acquire, then the second too should be hard to acquire. I suspect that the second is actually quite easy to do - with the whole Nevada attack. So, that was my aim with the good.
        It's as easy to manufacture a fully automatic firearm from scratch[1] as it is to convert a firearm to automatic[2]. So I guess we should just ban metallurgy altogether.

1. As tribal Afghans have been doing in mountain villages for generations using low-tech techniques such as the lost wax casting method.

2. Even bolt actions and revolvers can be made to fire fully automatic if you know how. And it is mind-numbingly easy to do.
        Last edited by rogue06; 07-09-2019, 07:30 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It's as easy to manufacture a fully automatic firearm from scratch[1] as it is to convert a firearm to automatic[2]. So I guess we should just ban metallurgy altogether.
          It seems to me that acquiring a gun of sufficient quality to use in a terrorist attack in Europe is not that easy, but I could be wrong.

Comment

I know the difference in so far as it is not hard to convert a semi-automatic into something similar to automatic. Or at least, sufficiently automatic to give rise to its use in mass shootings.
            bump stocks? Then make those illegal. Not the guns. Other than that you need a machine shop and some skill to make a semi-auto into a full auto. And the result would likely blow up in your face after a few shots.

Although it significantly raises the stakes, and the risks involved.
            What? The risks and stakes of NOT having a gun when you are being beaten, robbed or invaded in your home are a lot higher than if you have a gun to defend yourself with.

But I know, I have no problem with that sentiment - it is not a cultural thing where I am from, so I see it as strange that anyone would do so, however, I understand that some people grow up with a different culture. I live somewhere where I see no reason to even have a gun for self-defence. I personally do not believe that it would make the world safer if everyone had guns on them all the time, it just creates an atmosphere of distrust and risk if someone said something about someone and they got angry, etc.
            You don't have to carry a gun or even like guns, but what gives you the right to tell others what they can and can't do? 99.99% of gun owners will never use their guns offensively or for a crime. Banning guns because a small minority misuses them would be like banning cars because some people drive drunk and kill people. You are punishing the innocent.

And criminals will get guns if they want them. Or now they can even 3D print them. So banning guns will only take them away from lawful owners.

Comment

bump stocks? Then make those illegal.
              Yeah, even a leather belt could be used as a "bump stock".
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

It seems to me that acquiring a gun of sufficient quality to use in a terrorist attack in Europe is not that easy, but I could be wrong.
                The last I checked France has some very stringent gun control laws in effect which did nothing to deter the mass shootings in Paris in 2015 where 137 were killed and 352 wounded.

And back in April of 2002, despite some of the toughest gun control laws in the western world, Germany[1] experienced a mass shooting at the Johann Gutenberg secondary school in Erfurt, Germany (part of the former East Germany) where 17 were killed (including 12 teachers) and 6 wounded before the killer, who was expelled from the school shot himself, committing suicide. Anti-gun groups quickly tried to put the blame on illegal gun smuggling flooding Europe with weapons out of the Balkans region, but this was not the case. The 19-year-old shooter patiently applied for his permit (in a country where the waiting period is commonly a year long) and obtained his weapons legally before he went on his revenge-fueled murder rampage.

So of course German tightened their already strict gun control laws even more after Erfurt, such as raising the legal age for owning firearms from 18 to 21. But that didn't stop a 17 year old under psychiatric care from going to Albertville Secondary School in Winnenden, a town near Stuttgart and killing 16, almost exclusively girls and female teachers, at his former school.

The point is even with the strictest laws in place we still see these sort of shootings. And the very fact that prison guards at even some of the toughest penitentiaries regularly confiscate firearms from the inmates tends to demonstrate that if someone really wants a gun they can get one even in the face of the most stringent of prohibitions.

1. At the time only 15,000 private citizens are allowed to own a firearm out of a population of 80,000,000 – 1 in 5333.3 or less than 0.0002% of Germans

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  Yeah, even a leather belt could be used as a "bump stock".
                  A good shooter can shoot a revolver as fast as an auto if he practices enough.

Comment

bump stocks? Then make those illegal. Not the guns. Other than that you need a machine shop and some skill to make a semi-auto into a full auto. And the result would likely blow up in your face after a few shots.
                    Then I made a mistake about the difference between the weapon types. My limit was the type of weapon that can result in a Christchurch style mass shooting. I understood that he had in someway violated the law, with modifications to the weapon, but that that violation was so easy that the distinction between two weapons classes (for the semi-automatic) for license holders was effectively irrelevant. Banning the whole weapon was seen as the only way to prevent future incidents of a similar type by a weapon for a layman.

What? The risks and stakes of NOT having a gun when you are being beaten, robbed or invaded in your home are a lot higher than if you have a gun to defend yourself with.
                    The risks (for my status) are almost zero here for all of those crimes. However, I continue to find it hard to imagine myself safer with a gun if both parties are armed. Most crime here does not involve a firearm.

You don't have to carry a gun or even like guns, but what gives you the right to tell others what they can and can't do? 99.99% of gun owners will never use their guns offensively or for a crime. Banning guns because a small minority misuses them would be like banning cars because some people drive drunk and kill people. You are punishing the innocent.

And criminals will get guns if they want them. Or now they can even 3D print them. So banning guns will only take them away from lawful owners.
                    Again, not all guns - just the type used in mass shooting like in Christchurch. Regarding the situation, I know plenty of people that are ok with the changes (although they have reservations), that enjoy hunting etc, while one is pissed because they are an enthusiast.

I assume we agree that people shouldn't have access to RPGs or F35s as an extreme example. This is just reducing the boundary a bit further on weapons - in a context that might not be applicable elsewhere.

I know most people are law abiding.

3D printing is an interesting problem.

Comment

A good shooter can shoot a revolver as fast as an auto if he practices enough.

Firing fast and firing accurately are two different things as those who "fanned" their single-shot revolvers back in the old days found out. Bump stocks also tend to destroy the ability to aim as well -- although that doesn't much matter if you're firing into a packed crowd.

Comment

It really is a game changer.

Comment

The last I checked France has some very stringent gun control laws in effect which did nothing to deter the mass shootings in Paris in 2015 where 137 were killed and 352 wounded.

And back in April of 2002, despite some of the toughest gun control laws in the western world, Germany[1] experienced a mass shooting at the Johann Gutenberg secondary school in Erfurt, Germany (part of the former East Germany) where 17 were killed (including 12 teachers) and 6 wounded before the killer, who was expelled from the school shot himself, committing suicide. Anti-gun groups quickly tried to put the blame on illegal gun smuggling flooding Europe with weapons out of the Balkans region, but this was not the case. The 19-year-old shooter patiently applied for his permit (in a country where the waiting period is commonly a year long) and obtained his weapons legally before he went on his revenge-fueled murder rampage.

So of course German tightened their already strict gun control laws even more after Erfurt, such as raising the legal age for owning firearms from 18 to 21. But that didn't stop a 17 year old under psychiatric care from going to Albertville Secondary School in Winnenden, a town near Stuttgart and killing 16, almost exclusively girls and female teachers, at his former school.

The point is even with the strictest laws in place we still see these sort of shootings. And the very fact that prison guards at even some of the toughest penitentiaries regularly confiscate firearms from the inmates tends to demonstrate that if someone really wants a gun they can get one even in the face of the most stringent of prohibitions.

1. At the time only 15,000 private citizens are allowed to own a firearm out of a population of 80,000,000 – 1 in 5333.3 or less than 0.0002% of Germans
                          Yes, a number of incidents on a relatively high population. The US by comparison of school shootings? There is no perfect system. I do not want to live in a police state. Germany is not a police state, if you've lived there. However, guns are a no-no by-and-large. If you talk to the average German, they aren't particularly sore about that - it's not part of the culture to have guns. I do not say that the US has to change its culture, just that it's not clear that the current policy is in the best interest of people's safety.

I remain surprised by the relatively low incidence of terrorist attacks in Europe, given the vast numbers of terrorists and their interest in terror. The number of school shootings remains low compared to US school shootings, particularly across Europe as a whole.
                          Last edited by Zara; 07-09-2019, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Then I made a mistake about the difference between the weapon types. My limit was the type of weapon that can result in a Christchurch style mass shooting. I understood that he had in someway violated the law, with modifications to the weapon, but that that violation was so easy that the distinction between two weapons classes (for the semi-automatic) for license holders was effectively irrelevant. Banning the whole weapon was seen as the only way to prevent future incidents of a similar type by a weapon for a layman.

The risks (for my status) are almost zero here for all of those crimes. However, I continue to find it hard to imagine myself safer with a gun if both parties are armed. Most crime here does not involve a firearm.
                            The risks of me being invaded here in the USA, or robbed are pretty low too, but that doesn't mean actually zero. Same with you in NZ.
                            And I assume it varies with location. People living in a large city are more at risk from personal crimes than someone living in the country. Just because you feel safe from such crime doesn't mean that others will feel the same. And even if a burglar doesn't have a gun he can still kill you using a bat or knife, so I would rather have a gun to protect myself because I want the advantage in any such situation.

Again, not all guns - just the type used in mass shooting like in Christchurch. Regarding the situation, I know plenty of people that are ok with the changes (although they have reservations), that enjoy hunting etc, while one is pissed because they are an enthusiast.
                            But the NZ ban is not just for AR-15s (the gun used in Christchurch I believe) It is for nearly all semi-automatic guns, and even shotguns. And even for the semi-auto pistols that are allowed they are limiting the magazines to 5 shots. When you are nervous and shooting at someone trying to kill you, you want as many bullets as you can have because you are likely to miss even at a close range.

I assume we agree that people shouldn't have access to RPGs or F35s as an extreme example. This is just reducing the boundary a bit further on weapons - in a context that might not be applicable elsewhere.

I know most people are law abiding.

Why shouldn't people have access to RPGs, etc? Most people are law abiding and won't use them to kill anyone. And even for crooks they are a bit cumbersome to carry around to use. Just license them.

"Just reducing the boundary a bit further" is the excuse the government keeps on using till it has all guns out of the hands of all citizens. Except for the crooks who will still get them if they want them.

Like boiling a frog. Just keep turning up the heat a little at a time.

Comment

Yes, a number of incidents on a relatively high population.
                              In societies with gun control laws even more stringent that what you appear to be advocating for. And don't forget how firearms still make their way into prisons (or are constructed by the prisoners), which aren't high population.

Moreover, folks with murderous intent always seem to find a way and it doesn't seem to matter if they live in a place with strict or lax gun control laws, or in an open society or police state.

Here is a short list I put together after the Christchurch mosque shootings of mass killings taking place in this century that didn't involve firearms:
                              • 9/11, USA 2001 (2996 killed and 8900 wounded): hijacked planes using box cutters
                              • Bali, Indonesia 2002 (202 killed and 209 wounded): bombings
                              • Madrid, Spain 2004 (191 killed and 1876 wounded): bombings
                              • London, England 2005 (56 killed and 784 wounded): bombings
                              • Mumbai, India 2006 (209 killed and 714 wounded): bombings
                              • Al-Adnaniyah and Al-Qataniyah, Iraq 2007 (520 killed and approximately 1500 wounded): bombings
                              • Kahtaniya and Jazeera, Iraq 2007 (2996 killed with an unknown number wounded): suicide bombings
                              • Kashgar, China 2008 (16 killed with an unknown number wounded): truck ramming, thrown explosives and machetes
                              • Akihabara shopping quarter Tokyo, Japan 2008 (7 killed and 10 wounded): truck ramming and knife stabbings
                              • Nanping, China 2010 (8 killed and 5 wounded): stabbings
                              • Changsha, China 2011 (5 killed and 5 wounded): truck ramming
                              • Ürümqi, China 2014 (43 killed and over 90 wounded): SUV ramming and explosives thrown from vehicle
                              • Kunming, China 2014 (35 killed and 143 wounded): stabbings
                              • Russian Metrojet Flight 9268, over the Sinai 2015 (224 killed): bombing
                              • Sadr City, Iraq 2015 (215 killed): bombing
                              • Nice, France 2015 (86 killed and 458 wounded): truck ramming
                              • Sagamihara, Japan 2016 (19 killed and 26 wounded): stabbings
                              • Baghdad, Iraq 2016 (324 killed and 225 wounded): bombings and arson
                              • Berlin, Germany 2016 (12 dead and 56 wounded): truck ramming

Almost all of the worst massacres involving firearms were done by paramilitary groups conducting raids on villages and camps -- things no form of gun control could prevent.

Comment

And even for the semi-auto pistols that are allowed they are limiting the magazines to 5 shots.
                                Leave it to roguetech to find a way around large capacity magazine bans

Introducing our 30 shot revolver:

Comment