Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Are Christians Permitted to Eat Unclean Animals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    They didn't. Sure they could convert but that is speaking of individuals, I was speaking of nations. The gentile nations did not belong to the old covenant.

The new covenant relies on Jesus' fullfilment of the law and his taking the punishment we deserve and our receiving his righteousness, not our keeping the law (which we can't do) -- you might want to read Romans and Hebrews again.
    The Bible supports none of these claims. He fulfilled the law to show us it could be done and to enable us to do so, since the law is life. And we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us, especially keep His law. You might want to actually read the Bible.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darfius View Post
      The text does not say the law was only for the Jews. That is your eisegesis. It says that only the Jews understood the condemnation that came via the law. In fact, Paul says there "is an advantage to being a Jew", because:

Scripture Verse: Romans 3

What advantage, then, is there in being a Jew, or what value is there in circumcision? 2 Much in every way! First of all, the Jews have been entrusted with the very words of God.

© Copyright Original Source

Words which you seek to nullify. And by the way, many Egyptians joined the Mosaic covenant:

Scripture Verse: Exodus 12

37 The Israelites journeyed from Rameses to Sukkoth. There were about six hundred thousand men on foot, besides women and children. 38 Many other people went up with them, and also large droves of livestock, both flocks and herds.

There's no need for me to "envision" anything. It's in writing. I do not eat pork, for example, or indeed any unclean animal.
      I missed your counterargument to Rom 3:19-20. How are Paul's words implying that I was putting my own ideas into the interpretation.

No one said that the Jews didn't have benefits before Christ came. So what is your point about Rom 3:1-2?

And so what about Egyptians having joined the Mosaic covenant. I'm not sure how your remark nullifies my argument. Maybe you are using the exceptions to obscure the issues.

Do you have any other ways you obey the Jewish laws beyond pork?
      Last edited by mikewhitney; 07-23-2019, 02:43 PM.

Comment

The Bible supports none of these claims. He fulfilled the law to show us it could be done and to enable us to do so, since the law is life. And we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us, especially keep His law. You might want to actually read the Bible.
        The bible clearly lays out all of it in Romans and some in Hebrews. I can't help it if you are an illiterate legalistic moron.

Comment

• Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
          I missed your counterargument to Rom 3:19-20. How are Paul's words implying that I was putting my own ideas into the interpretation.
          Nowhere does Paul say the law was only for the Jews. That is what you are saying Paul said. Paul actually said that the message of condemnation the law brings was peculiar to the Jews.

No one said that the Jews didn't have benefits before Christ came. So what is your point about Rom 3:1-2?
          Paul said the advantages of being Jew existed at his time, which was after Christ came. Learn to read. Not reading things into the text that you want to be there will help.

And so what about Egyptians having joined the Mosaic covenant. I'm not sure how your remark nullifies my argument. Maybe you are using the exceptions to obscure the issues.
          You asked if Moses asked the Egyptians to join the covenant. He did. Don't backpedal in public, it looks ridiculous. Just admit you were wrong.

Do you have any other ways you obey the Jewish laws beyond pork?
          How is that relevant to whether or not we are obligated to follow the law? Do you even logic, bro?

Comment

The bible clearly lays out all of it in Romans and some in Hebrews. I can't help it if you are an illiterate legalistic moron.
            haha. you're such a lazy debater. that's probably why the idea of actually doing what God says to do is so horrifying to you.

Comment

Nowhere does Paul say the law was only for the Jews. That is what you are saying Paul said. Paul actually said that the message of condemnation the law brings was peculiar to the Jews.

Paul said the advantages of being Jew existed at his time, which was after Christ came. Learn to read. Not reading things into the text that you want to be there will help.

You asked if Moses asked the Egyptians to join the covenant. He did. Don't backpedal in public, it looks ridiculous. Just admit you were wrong.

How is that relevant to whether or not we are obligated to follow the law? Do you even logic, bro?
              Thanks. I have a glimpse into the thinking of Darfius.

Comment

haha. you're such a lazy debater. that's probably why the idea of actually doing what God says to do is so horrifying to you.
                Well I am not going to quote entire chapters of Romans to you when you can easily read them yourself but apparently choose not to. The whole point of the first few chapters of Romans is that we are all sinners, that nobody could follow the law, that in place of the law we have faith in Jesus who fulfilled the law and the new law of faith saves us because we are imputed with the righteousness of Jesus and that those who work for salvation are doomed.

Comment

Well I am not going to quote entire chapters of Romans to you when you can easily read them yourself but apparently choose not to. The whole point of the first few chapters of Romans is that we are all sinners, that nobody could follow the law, the in place of the law we have faith in Jesus who fulfilled the law and the new law of faith saves us because we are imputed with the righteousness of Jesus and that those who work for salvation are doomed.
                  Yea it doesn't say that, other than that we are all sinners and that no one could keep the law perfectly before Christ. Your interpretation makes it so that Jesus came to save us from God, which is not only ridiculous, but blasphemous.

Comment

Yea it doesn't say that, other than that we are all sinners and that no one could keep the law perfectly before Christ. Your interpretation makes it so that Jesus came to save us from God, which is not only ridiculous, but blasphemous.
                    Ah. Now Paul's gospel is blasphemous. Is that the argument you wish to make?

"Who warned you to flee from the wrath to come?"

Comment

God isn't the cause of our damnation, we are. God just provides a way we can be saved, since no one is righteous enough to do it on their own, except Christ.

I feel sorry for you Darfy. You must live in constant fear knowing that you are failing to keep the Law and are doomed. Seems like a very stressful way to live. No wonder you act so hateful to everyone.

Comment

Ah. Now Paul's gospel is blasphemous. Is that the argument you wish to make?

"Who warned you to flee from the wrath to come?"
                        You are not preaching Paul's gospel, but a different one. And John was talking to the Pharisees, who were creatures of wrath. But the Bible says Jesus came to save us from our sins themselves, the acts, not the punishment for said acts. You are confusing one of the results for the objective. Presumably because you are a creature of fear and "fear has to do with punishment" (1 John).

Comment

God isn't the cause of our damnation, we are. God just provides a way we can be saved, since no one is righteous enough to do it on their own, except Christ.
                          And those Christ enables by His Spirit. You keep leaving out that part. He is both the author and the perfecter of our faith. You can't perfect something that either exists or doesn't. But if it is a process, then you can perfect it.

I feel sorry for you Darfy. You must live in constant fear knowing that you are failing to keep the Law and are doomed. Seems like a very stressful way to live. No wonder you act so hateful to everyone.
                          As I mentioned, fear has to do with punishment. I no longer feared God in the sense of His wrath when I came to understand the depth of His love for me as expressed most fully in Christ. I fear failing Him, of course, just as I fear failing everyone I love, but that is a holy fear and the end of wisdom. Fear of the former sort is only the beginning of wisdom.

I don't act hateful towards people, only towards the sin they cling to and identify so closely with that they consider my hate directed towards them. It must be tough to live in a world where you think God murdered His son to "save" you from His inability to forgive you.

Comment

You are not preaching Paul's gospel, but a different one. And John was talking to the Pharisees, who were creatures of wrath. But the Bible says Jesus came to save us from our sins themselves, the acts, not the punishment for said acts. You are confusing one of the results for the objective. Presumably because you are a creature of fear and "fear has to do with punishment" (1 John).
                            I'm sorry. I was not the one who said Paul was blasphemous. This was your choosing.

I just can't find correlation of your law-focused doctrines with that of Jesus or Paul. You are holding to a minority position which seems to first assume that the letter of the law is still an obligation on followers of Christ. I'm curious how you even got into this mode of thinking. the whole letter of Galatians was to prevent the Galatian Christians from taking on an obligation to the law, as if this were required of followers of Christ. Nowhere does Paul tell the Gentiles to follow the law..

In Romans, Paul was telling the people not to take on the law, for wrath comes with the law (Rom 4:15) and the law was for Jews (Rom 3:19-20). The Romans had mostly dropped away from following Jewish laws and culture, but Paul never told them to do the law.

Comment

I'm sorry. I was not the one who said Paul was blasphemous. This was your choosing.

I just can't find correlation of your law-focused doctrines with that of Jesus or Paul. You are holding to a minority position which seems to first assume that the letter of the law is still an obligation on followers of Christ. I'm curious how you even got into this mode of thinking. the whole letter of Galatians was to prevent the Galatian Christians from taking on an obligation to the law, as if this were required of followers of Christ. Nowhere does Paul tell the Gentiles to follow the law..

In Romans, Paul was telling the people not to take on the law, for wrath comes with the law (Rom 4:15) and the law was for Jews (Rom 3:19-20). The Romans had mostly dropped away from following Jewish laws and culture, but Paul never told them to do the law.
                              Reconcile these verses for us:

Scripture Verse: Galatians 5

2 Mark my words! I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all. 3 Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law.

and:

Scripture Verse: Acts 16

3 Paul wanted to take him along on the journey, so he circumcised him because of the Jews who lived in that area, for they all knew that his father was a Greek.

Comment

Reconcile these verses for us:

Scripture Verse: Galatians 5

2 Mark my words! I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all. 3 Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law.

and:

Scripture Verse: Acts 16

3 Paul wanted to take him along on the journey, so he circumcised him because of the Jews who lived in that area, for they all knew that his father was a Greek.

Very good.

If the Galatians as seeking to be circumcised in order to fall prey to the false gospel being preached, they are seeking entrance into the full Jewish law. They thought that circumcision was required for justification. This was an idea pushed by people trying to disrupt the Christians.

If someone is not being circumcised with the assumption that it is required for the gospel, then circumcision has no relevance. It was okay to be circumcised if it is not thought to be required for justification with God. They were doing it for reaching Jews with the gospel work.

Jews basically remained obligated to the law until the temple fell. But we also find in Acts 21:17ff that many Jews who followed Christ had become zealous for the law. James warned Paul of the apparent dangers of being around these Jews without doing some purification rights in order to appease these Jews.
                                Last edited by mikewhitney; 07-23-2019, 06:03 PM.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X