Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Cutting strawberries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting strawberries

Allie really likes strawberries, but she doesn't trust herself with cutting them with a knife. I'd like to get something good and inexpensive, perhaps something I can find on Amazon with some points, that I can use. Can some people here give the best recommendation on what I can get to get the most out of my buck since I'm unknowledgeable in this area?

I don't know anything about this either, not exactly smart for me to be using a knife. I can tell you one thing, don't buy the Eggstractor.

Comment

amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/MSC-Simply-Sli...awberry+slicer

reviews:
      ===
      I used to use any manner of objects to slice strawberries...other than a knife. If you'll read my banana slicer review, you'll understand that such weaponry isn't allowed to me as per terms of my probation.

Items I've used:

1. Karate - this worked well enough for the really huge strawberries...but rather than coming up with sliced berries, I'd say they were more like halved berries. It also gave me sweet, juicy, red hands as karate chops are similar to blunt force trauma if you're a strawberry...not a very clean cut at all.

b. Paper - I figured if paper can cut a finger, it should sure as hell be able to handle a damn strawberry. Well...all of those tiny seeds act as a sort of strawberry armor and the paper dulled immediately. Also, on occassions I was able to avoid any seeds, the paper would become soggy and I'd have paper goop in my berry bowl when all was said and done. Sure, that's extra fiber for one's diet, but personally, I'm very, VERY regular without it.

III. Hammer - I do not recommend using hammers to slice strawberries. I've tried multiple sizes and styles and had the following results...

- ballpeen hammer - the smaller size of the striking portion of a ballpeen hammer seemed like a legit option on larger berries. I ended up smashing a hole in the center of the berry and ended up with what one might describe as a donut-looking strawberry and quite a mess. A lot of the berry was turned into mush.

- Rubber Mallet - this didn't work at all, unless you like your sliced strawberries on the really pulpy and juicy side.

Comment

Use an egg slicer like everyone else.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
          Allie really likes strawberries, but she doesn't trust herself with cutting them with a knife. I'd like to get something good and inexpensive, perhaps something I can find on Amazon with some points, that I can use. Can some people here give the best recommendation on what I can get to get the most out of my buck since I'm unknowledgeable in this area?
          I've found that my teeth work nicely for dividing up strawberries into bite-sized pieces.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            I've found that my teeth work nicely for dividing up strawberries into bite-sized pieces.
            Some people have sensitive teeth.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
              Some people have sensitive teeth.
              In that case, go with the rubber mallet.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                Use an egg slicer like everyone else.
                Yikes, that's BRILLIANT!
                Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment