Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Christians and Trump--two perspectives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm tired of Christians hating me for daring to be against Trump's immorality.

Comment

• Christians are supposed to be opposed to immorality.

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        I have a hard time believing that many evangelical Trump voters do not actually support him because there has been zero attempt to put forth an alternative in the primaries (there are a few primary candidates so far, but none who would be appealing to evangelicals). When I previously brought this up, the line has been that it is not normal for incumbents to be primaried, however, no less a person than Ronald Reagan challenged an incumbent president in the primaries.

In any event, state GOPs are starting to cancel their primaries to protect Trump anyway.
        Reagan challenged Ford - are you kidding me? Ford's pardon of Nixon made him toxic even in his own party which was in large part why Ford was even vulnerable in the primaries. Picking one of histories most exceptional primaries (in more ways than one) as an example of "See? They did it!" is nonsensical. At least apples and oranges are both fruit - you'd have us believe we should expect cattle from this tree.

Normally, running against your party's incumbent is done to garner name recognition and support for a later, serious run. Cancelling primaries where the expense outweighs the benefit has precedent - in both parties - and we're seeing the usual suspects. Despite the more colorful claims, Trump has no serious challengers at this point. Nor would the states in question make any difference in 'noise' or outcome - I can't recall the last time a Kansas primary was more than a footnote in national news.

It IS unusual to see four cancel in the same election cycle, I grant - but none of them are states Trump would need to have canceled to 'protect' himself if he had a serious challenger - which he doesn't.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy View Post
          I'm tired of Christians hating me for daring to be against Trump's immorality.
          For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

It must be tiring to be so righteous that you can't allow others to be flawed. Perfection is only obtained by a few...I'm so glad you're already there...

Yeah, you should just talk to Adrift, he's a good guy and he doesn't like Trump either (neither do I but, it looks like it some of you because I won't go into hysterics every time he hiccups....)

Oxmixmudd is a lot like you, you to should get along swimmingly.

Have a blessed day brother!
          "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

• I don't think this "brother" will accept anything less than "I HATE TRUMP".

He's very much like some of our anti-Christian bigots who are not here for fellowship, but to make false accusations and sew discord among the brethren. Kind of a litmus test -- "if you don't hate Trump as much as I do, you're not really a Christian".
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm tired of Christians hating me for daring to be against Trump's immorality.
              We're tired of your self righteous indignation when no one accepts your two year old level rationale.

I'm tired of pro-abortion supporters masquerading as evangelical Christians - and don't bother denying it. Only pro-aborts like you want to take down Trump, knowing he's appointing conservatives to the judiciary - and the High Court itself.

Christians are supposed to be opposed to immorality.
              Christians shouldn't support child murder. But you do.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I want to know I'm not the only Christian who isn't all in for Trump.
                You're not the only Christian who isn't all in for Trump.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                  You're not the only Christian who isn't all in for Trump.
                  I'm also not "all in for Trump" -- I just don't hate the guy, and I do believe in praying for him.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    I'm also not "all in for Trump" -- I just don't hate the guy, and I do believe in praying for him.
                    And I don't believe anybody here hates Timothy just because he hates Trump.

Comment

12,019 lies since taking office.
                      Timothy, just so you know, it is really not appropriate here to keep quoting the same thing over and over and giving a different answer. Quote once and make all your points in that one post.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Yeah, as far as Christians go, I'd wager that most of the forum is not "all in for Trump." I can think of maybe 2 or 3 forum members who are, or who are at least more in for Trump than not.

I get the feeling that the majority tolerate him (in some cases, barely) as an ends to a means.

And then there are the few of us who find him repugnant, wanted nothing to do with him from the start, didn't vote for him, and think the ends are unlikely to justify the means. But even there there seems to be a couple a camps: Those who desire to weigh those breaking news reports of a new juicy scandal or major controversy, and get a better idea of the lay of the land, and those who jump in feet first and let each fresh controversy or rumor of a scandal fuel their hatred of the guy. Unfortunately, it often seems that if you're not willing to jump in feet first with that crowd then they think you're against them, and that isn't the case either. I've been accused of being pro-Trump on Reddit a few times merely because I've said things like "well, hold on for a second, let's get some facts first before we grab that noose."

As I've said before, I've never in all of my life seen reactions this strong to a president. It's the strangest thing. And I was part of anarchist punk scene.

Comment

Yeah, as far as Christians go, I'd wager that most of the forum is not "all in for Trump." I can think of maybe 2 or 3 forum members who are, or who are at least more in for Trump than not.

I get the feeling that the majority tolerate him (in some cases, barely) as an ends to a means.

And then there are the few of us who find him repugnant, wanted nothing to do with him from the start, didn't vote for him, and think the ends are unlikely to justify the means. But even there there seems to be a couple a camps: Those who desire to weigh those breaking news reports of a new juicy scandal or major controversy, and get a better idea of the lay of the land, and those who jump in feet first and let each fresh controversy or rumor of a scandal fuel their hatred of the guy. Unfortunately, it often seems that if you're not willing to jump in feet first with that crowd then they think you're against them, and that isn't the case either. I've been accused of being pro-Trump on Reddit a few times merely because I've said things like "well, hold on for a second, let's get some facts first before we grab that noose."

As I've said before, I've never in all of my life seen reactions this strong to a president. It's the strangest thing. And I was part of anarchist punk scene.
                          Yes, sir -- Trump does enough stupid and disgusting stuff that we really don't have to make up or exaggerate things --- so let's just roll with the facts, and understand that both sides are going to go to great lengths to defend or attack him.

It's sad to me that Christians allow politics to divide them (us) when there are so many more important eternal things --- and I believe Satan is eating this up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                            Only pro-aborts like you want to take down Trump, knowing he's appointing conservatives to the judiciary - and the High Court itself.

I think this is unfair. This logic assumes that support or opposition for a candidate equates to full opposition or support for their slate of policies. Personally, I think Trump is unfit for office, is likely mentally deteriorating, and for the good of the republic should be replaced, preferrably via primary challenge... But I would have no time for being slandered as "pro abort".
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Yeah, as far as Christians go, I'd wager that most of the forum is not "all in for Trump." I can think of maybe 2 or 3 forum members who are, or who are at least more in for Trump than not. .
                              I think it's more than that. Look at the vigor with which his blasphemy about being compared to the second coming of Christ was defended on here by several posters. (Dr. Michael Brown, who acknowledged he will continue to vote for Trump, pointed out that the biblical response to being compared to a god is to rend one's clothing and set the record straight.) If you don't really support Trump that much, why would you stick your neck out on a a Christian forum for that one?
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Whenever someone refuses to answer a simple question, it reveals something about that person.
                                Be careful where you're going. Jesus often refused to give simple answers to questions.

Comment