Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Christians and Trump--two perspectives

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Christians and Trump--two perspectives

I briefly thought about posting this in Civics, but...nah.

These are from a site called Sharper Iron that I lurk at on occasion. From their "About" section:

Source: Sharper Iron About

Thanks for stopping by, and thanks for your interest in SharperIron. SI is a site hosted by people of historic fundamentalist conviction (See “Fundamentalist?!” It may not be what you think).

Our aim is to provide a place where Christians can interact thoughtfully and respectfully on a wide range of topics, including our articles and the news items and blog samples we post daily.

© Copyright Original Source

Two of the site regulars posted these articles. I share them for your reading pleasure and--hopefully--edification.

Source: SI, first article

Donald Trump has a long history of sexual immorality. A serial husband with several divorces, he has a reputation for womanizing. His integrity as a businessman is questionable, given his habit of ignoring debts and using bankruptcy as a business strategy. His speech is provocative and he is careless with the truth. Combine this with an over-sized ego and Trump is not the kind of person Christians respect. It’s no wonder some think Christians are hypocrites to support Trump. In many ways, Donald Trump is as un-Christian as it’s possible to be.

Source

Source: SI, second article

I agree with much of what [the author] had to say on the topic yesterday, particularly the negative assessments of President Trump’s character and behavior. I agree also that some of the President’s policies have been helpful to the nation and sensible in the eyes of conservatives. I concede, too, that in an election, deciding what candidate to support can be difficult—especially if we only consider those who have a chance of winning. If we accept that constriction, we’re stuck with what the parties decide to offer us.

Those are the primary points of agreement. Philosophically, I’m sure we agree on much as well. Most of the controversy among conservative Christians has to do with how to apply principles we share. Still, these principles are often not articulated in the more Trump-friendly perspectives I hear from fellow-Christians. I believe that if these truths are more front-of-mind, they’ll have more influence on how we evaluate presidents and make electoral choices.

Source
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Professor and Chaplain Littlejoe's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Donald Trump was a rich heathen most of his life....and may very well still be. But, he claims to have converted, Franklin Graham, Billy Graham's son says he accepted Christ so, how should we evaluate those claims? As a baby Christian, new to the faith, most of my activities would have gotten me shamed or condemned most likely. Even today, I occasionally consume alcohol...for many Christians, this is a big no no and calls my faith into question. But, the thing I've learned is that whether you're saved by the blood of Christ has never been, and will never be about your behavior, it's always been about faith. Does Trump have faith? I don't know, but his detractors can't know for sure either. Trump doesn't have the luxury of learning what it's like to be Christian in a church, with a Bible believing support group. I think it's unfair at this point to say one way or the other. Meanwhile, he's trying to make good on his campaign promises, (whether you agree with them or not, it's still unusual) and the US economy is humming along nicely.
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

3. Amen Teallaura, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I think the way he has made serious attempts to keep his promises speaks well of him. What he did in the past is either between him and God or as far from him as the east is from the west - and I am not privy to know which. He's been a much better president than I'd thought he could be.

5. Amen RumTumTugger, NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlejoe View Post
    Donald Trump was a rich heathen most of his life....and may very well still be. But, he claims to have converted, Franklin Graham, Billy Graham's son says he accepted Christ ...
    Has Trump himself actually claimed to have converted? I've heard others -- Franklin Graham, as you note, and a few more -- make that claim on his behalf, but I've not seen or heard him directly make the claim.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

7. Amen Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    Has Trump himself actually claimed to have converted? I've heard others -- Franklin Graham, as you note, and a few more -- make that claim on his behalf, but I've not seen or heard him directly make the claim.
    Interesting question, actually...I don't think I've seen him make the claim, either. (Not that I've looked)
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    He is probably a young Christian. I actually think that if that's so, it's best for him to not make public proclamations of faith.

Professor and Chaplain Littlejoe's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymologist View Post
    Interesting question, actually...I don't think I've seen him make the claim, either. (Not that I've looked)
    Well, I don't know if he used the term converted exactly but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36qhTfCWdiw

At the 6:08 Trump says: "....I'm a very good Christian..." and says, it again at 6:20

I admit I was going off of reports like the one from Franklin Graham and James Dobson. This article from Belief net claims to quote Donald Trump in his book Great Again:
    “I think people are shocked when they find out that I am Christian, that I am a religious person,” Trump wrote in “Great Again,” a book published during the presidential campaign. “They see me with all the surroundings of wealth, so they sometimes don’t associate that with being religious. That’s not accurate.”

https://www.beliefnet.com/news/polit...Ov83UjsK1hW.99
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

11. Amen Teallaura, NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The first source failed to give an alternative to voting for Trump. The other option was not to vote until an ideal Christian becomes a candidate -- or a viable candidate

13. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    This kinda reminds me of the whole "Did Buttigieg actually, himself, claim to be a practicing Christian"?
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    This kinda reminds me of the whole "Did Buttigieg actually, himself, claim to be a practicing Christian"?
    A bit. I only participated lightly in that thread. My main issue in that thread was Buttgiggy criticizing the Christianity of others, such as Pence. He has certainly been *regarded* as a "Christian," at least in the sense of someone who attends church and is comfortable with "Christianese." Whatever else is true about Trump, I think it is clear he is not conversant with "Christianese."
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."