Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Christians and Trump--two perspectives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Timothy View Post
    You can't even answer a simple question
    Though I understand the heart of it, for a lot of people it wasn't a simple question.

The three options Christians seemed to have had was vote for Hillary, who appeared to be a greater evil. Vote for Trump, who appeared to be a lesser evil. Vote for no one, or vote for a third party candidate which practically equaled the same thing.

Choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil, but of course, the issue here then is that the greater evil may win out by default. So some Christians see the whole thing as strategizing for the greater good.

In my opinion, when a Christian is confronted with the moral dilemma of choosing between two evils, one greater, one lesser, then best recourse is to take oneself out of the equation. Short term plans for what may seem like a win right now tend to have long term consequences, and I'm concerned that the long term consequences of voting a man like Trump into power will hurt the Christian witness to future generations.

BUT, I sympathize with those who thought they were choosing a lesser evil for the sake of the greater good. I don't think they were right, but I get their motivation, and I know for many the decision was a tough one. Maybe Christians on both sides of the anti/pro-Trump debate could use a bit more charity and sympathy for their fellow siblings in Christ.

Comment

I don't know how to use the new tweb format. I joined tweb on 2003, I think. I have a unique view of hell. I've been on the biblical languages forum. I haven't been around in a while, due to depression about where the Church is at politically these days. If you don't remember me, I remember you and your little rolling pin.
      I'm discouraged by trump support in church. I don't know what to do, and nobody cares. They just want unconditional trump support from everyone.
      Your username is familiar to me. But I am not sure if I knew you that well to know how you stand regarding your faith.

I think you are painting here with too broad a brush. Most, if not all of the Christians here at Tweb do not like how Trump behaves, as has been made clear from numerous threads. They found him to be the lesser of the evils at the time of the election.

I personally have no real dog in the fight as I am not an American, but it bothers me when you use the terms you are using to basically do as CP said, accusing the brethren.

You have to make a distinction between probably many Christians, some of whom you may know personally, who give Trump a pass on everything he does, and those who would like to see him left alone by the media and the Democrats to get on with leading his country. Who voted for him in order to keep some semblance of sanity in the politics of the country.

So you need to be careful when you judge your brethren. Not every Christian voted for Trump, and I know some of them on this site. None of the Christians here support his lack of morality, and have said so many times.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Thanks, Adrift, for an excellent summary of the issue. You described it pretty much as I see it.
        "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

• Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
          Thanks, Adrift, for an excellent summary of the issue. You described it pretty much as I see it.
          I agree.
          And Mossrose, I understand what you are saying. But in my church those who give full throated trump approval far outnumber those who don't agree with his immoral actions. There are only 2 in my church who don't venerate trump. My wife and myself. We sit in a sea of trumphats. I had to leave out of disgust.

Comment

• One day, I got to church early. Opened the front door and the first thing I saw was Trump's name. Someone put their red hat on the coat rack so the first thing a person saw when entering Christ's church was Trump's name. As if he saved us. I didn't want to touch the filthy hat, but I didn't think that the Church should promote Trump worship. So I gingerly turned the idol around so Trump's name was toward the wall. At least we wouldn't give the impression that the Church is a Trump rally.
            The next week the hat was back the same as before.

Comment

• At our church we have a prayer team. If anyone needs prayer they can pray with the team after worship.
              The Sunday before election day I went up to the man on the prayer team. I told him that I was troubled about the election, there was nobody that I could vote for in good conscience. He said, "don't worry, just think about how great it will be if Trump gets elected".

Comment

• I went to my pastor and said "I'm discouraged by the trump support in church."
                He said "I know how you feel, I felt the same when Obama was elected."

Comment

I agree.
                  And Mossrose, I understand what you are saying. But in my church those who give full throated trump approval far outnumber those who don't agree with his immoral actions. There are only 2 in my church who don't venerate trump. My wife and myself. We sit in a sea of trumphats. I had to leave out of disgust.

As I said, there is a huge difference, then, between what you have personally experienced and what the majority of Christians here at Tweb are saying. So please use do not accuse every Christian that you meet of being a Trump supporter.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Timothy,

I actively campaigned against Trump in the primaries. No one in my family voted for him in the primaries. But, when faced with Hillary or Trump, I almost literally held my nose and voted for him. Since he has been POTUS, I have not approved of a lot of his tweets, and statements, but, I don't know of any immoral act he has done since becoming president.

1) What immoral acts do you think he has done in the last 3 years since being elected?

2) I assume you do not believe the reports of his (possible) conversion to Christianity?
                    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                      As I said, there is a huge difference, then, between what you have personally experienced and what the majority of Christians here at Tweb are saying. So please use do not accuse every Christian that you meet of being a Trump supporter.
                      Okay.
                      Can you tell me who to talk to who is not a Trump supporter? Or am I really the only one?

Comment

• Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                        Timothy,

I actively campaigned against Trump in the primaries. No one in my family voted for him in the primaries. But, when faced with Hillary or Trump, I almost literally held my nose and voted for him. Since he has been POTUS, I have not approved of a lot of his tweets, and statements, but, I don't know of any immoral act he has done since becoming president.

1) What immoral acts do you think he has done in the last 3 years since being elected?

2) I assume you do not believe the reports of his (possible) conversion to Christianity?
                        Don't do this, please.
                        I would tell you the latest outrageous act and you would say fake news, all in the past, not a pastor.

I don't need that. You either have eyes to see or you don't.

Comment

Okay.
                          Can you tell me who to talk to who is not a Trump supporter? Or am I really the only one?
                          There are a number of us on the forum. What do you want to talk about?

Comment

Don't do this, please.
                            I would tell you the latest outrageous act and you would say fake news, all in the past, not a pastor.

I don't need that. You either have eyes to see or you don't.
                            Whatever dude. Who's not answering honestly now?

If you don't know, then just say so...
                            "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

• Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                              Whatever dude. Who's not answering honestly now?

If you don't know, then just say so...
                              Okay. Conspired with Ukraine to get political dirt on opponents. Start with today's news and work back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                                There are a number of us on the forum. What do you want to talk about?
                                I want to know I'm not the only Christian who isn't all in for Trump.

Comment