Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Soccer Pay Equality News -- Ready for Babylon Bee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soccer Pay Equality News -- Ready for Babylon Bee

The male pro soccer players have decided to cut their own pay so that equity is established with the women.

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
    The male pro soccer players have decided to cut their own pay so that equity is established with the women.
    I think the NBA will soon follow for the WBA...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
      Um, but the women were making proportionally more than the men...
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
        Um, but the women were making proportionally more than the men...
        What? Why use facts to explain things?

Comment

I can't tell whether or not this is satire. Is this really happening?
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            I can't tell whether or not this is satire. Is this really happening?
            I tried to show it was satire via the reference to the Babylon Bee within the title.

Comment

Men taking pay cuts would ordinarily be a tip off, but nowadays news and satire are indistinguishable.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

And this is why I have ask if the OP was satire or factual, because the following is NOT satire:

No funds for you, Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV) told FIFA on Tuesday. The Democrat has introduced legislation that would withhold federal funding from the men's World Cup in 2026 until the U.S. women's national team gets paid as much as their male counterparts.

The 2026 World Cup is expected to be hosted by Canada, Mexico and the United States as part of a joint bid and will need federal funding. That's not going to happen until the female players' demands are met, said Manchin. He presented his bill on Tuesday after reading a concerned letter from the women’s soccer coach at West Virginia University, Nikki Izzo-Brown.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortne...-more-n2549825

The women's argument is, essentially, we've won more international titles than the men, so we should be paid at least as much.

Nevermind that the men's soccer field is larger and far more competitive. The US women's soccer team is the best in the world, but if they were to play the best men's soccer team, they'd be demolished. Heck, they would probably be demolished by the second string. So comparing number of titles won is a worthless metric.

Comment

Nevermind that the men's soccer field is larger and far more competitive. The US women's soccer team is the best in the world, but if they were to play the best men's soccer team, they'd be demolished. Heck, they would probably be demolished by the second string. So comparing number of titles won is a worthless metric.
                  The question is how much revenue does men's soccer produce during the year as opposed to women's? It is probably not even close. Besides these ladies need to find a good husband and have some babies...
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I can't find it but I read one article (on a conservative blog, no less) that argued that if payouts were tied strictly to revenue generated, the women's team might actually make more because the men's team is so bad, whereas the women's team brings in very high ratings.

If the men's team actually seriously contended for a World Cup, their revenue would likely leave the women in the dust.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                      The question is how much revenue does men's soccer produce during the year as opposed to women's? It is probably not even close. Besides these ladies need to find a good husband and have some babies...
                      A high number of them are, well, how do I put this delicately...
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                        I can't find it but I read one article (on a conservative blog, no less) that argued that if payouts were tied strictly to revenue generated, the women's team might actually make more because the men's team is so bad, whereas the women's team brings in very high ratings.

If the men's team actually seriously contended for a World Cup, their revenue would likely leave the women in the dust.
                        How about all the men players decide they're really women, and they'll never lose again.

Comment

And this is why I have ask if the OP was satire or factual, because the following is NOT satire:

No funds for you, Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV) told FIFA on Tuesday. The Democrat has introduced legislation that would withhold federal funding from the men's World Cup in 2026 until the U.S. women's national team gets paid as much as their male counterparts.

The 2026 World Cup is expected to be hosted by Canada, Mexico and the United States as part of a joint bid and will need federal funding. That's not going to happen until the female players' demands are met, said Manchin. He presented his bill on Tuesday after reading a concerned letter from the women’s soccer coach at West Virginia University, Nikki Izzo-Brown.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortne...-more-n2549825

The women's argument is, essentially, we've won more international titles than the men, so we should be paid at least as much.

Defunding funding of sports by the federal government? One idea that sounds great. Just remove the conditional portion of the code.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            The women's World Cup doesn't generate nearly the revenue; women players actually earn a significantly larger slice of the pie than men.
                            Source: Nate Jackson

Matt Walsh explains, “FIFA, the international soccer organization, will give about $400 million to male players in the World Cup, while female players will make around $30 million.” That sounds bad, but not when revenue is factored in. The Women’s World Cup earned in the neighborhood of $130 million. That’s great, but the 2018 Men’s World Cup brought in more than $6 billion. So the women’s slice of the pie (23% of revenue) is far larger than the men’s (7%), relative to the whole. But Rapinoe wants that $30 million for the women to be quadrupled to $120 million. How about quadrupling revenue first?

Why so much more money for the men? More viewers. Rich Lowry notes, “The women’s tournament this year may have had about a billion viewers across all platforms, nothing to sneeze at. But the 2018 men’s World Cup had more than a billion viewers just for the final game.”

© Copyright Original Source

Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Of course it's society's fault for not watching women's sports as ravenously as men's, so I think we owe it to them...

Comment