Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Is Homosexuality a "worse sin" than other sins?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian3 View Post
    That's argument by weblink, my friend, and is not allowed.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I use The Jewish Study Bible, featuring The Jewish Publication Society. Which one do you use?

I also like Rashi's comments. He did not have one for Leviticus 18:22.

I found this:

Analysis of Leviticus 18:22
    "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination." 2

In transliterated Hebrew, the verse is written: "V'et zachar lo tishkav mishk'vey eeshah toeyvah hee."

The first part of this verse is literally translated as "And with a male you shall not lay lyings of a woman"

The Net Bible® translation 3 inserts two words to produce "And with a male you shall not lay [as the] lyings of a woman." A man must not have sexual intercourse with another man as he would normally have with a woman. i.e. anal intercourse between two men is not permitted. From this literal, word for word translation, they produce a smoother English version: "You must not have sexual intercourse with a male as one has sexual intercourse with a woman."

An alternative translation would insert a different pair of words to produce: "And with a male you shall not lay [in the] lyings of a woman." That is, two men must not engage in sexual behavior on a woman's bed. Presumably, they must go elsewhere to have sex; a woman's bed was sacred and was to be reserved for opposite-gender sexual behavior.
    C3, Might I suggest, since we are "New Testament Christians", that you spend a little more time with the New Testament view on this?

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I use The Jewish Study Bible, featuring The Jewish Publication Society.
    Ah. That its first edition seems to have borrowed extensively from the New Oxford Annotated Study Bible tells me all I need to know about the gist of its notes.
    Which one do you use?
    I have a Stone Artscroll Tanakh.
    I also like Rashi's comments. He did not have one for Leviticus 18:22.
    Okay?
    I found this:

Analysis of Leviticus 18:22
    "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination." 2

In transliterated Hebrew, the verse is written: "V'et zachar lo tishkav mishk'vey eeshah toeyvah hee."

The first part of this verse is literally translated as "And with a male you shall not lay lyings of a woman"

The Net Bible® translation 3 inserts two words to produce "And with a male you shall not lay [as the] lyings of a woman." A man must not have sexual intercourse with another man as he would normally have with a woman. i.e. anal intercourse between two men is not permitted. From this literal, word for word translation, they produce a smoother English version: "You must not have sexual intercourse with a male as one has sexual intercourse with a woman."

An alternative translation would insert a different pair of words to produce: "And with a male you shall not lay [in the] lyings of a woman." That is, two men must not engage in sexual behavior on a woman's bed. Presumably, they must go elsewhere to have sex; a woman's bed was sacred and was to be reserved for opposite-gender sexual behavior.
    By an internet search, presumably. Using something without attribution is called plagiarism, and is not proper. The "alternative translation" proffered by your source is patently absurd; I'm sorta impressed anyone can assert it with a straight face.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

4. Amen Teallaura, NorrinRadd, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    He said a committed loving relationship, not a sexual one.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It's irritating how modern people read sex into everything. David and Jonathan, Naomi and Ruth (daughter and mother-in-law, even), and Ruth sleeping at the feet of Boaz. It says something about their own warped sex drives. It's like the people who write "shipping" fan fiction where they write sexual scenarios involving characters from shows. The implicit assumption is that any person is a potential sex partner.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    It's irritating how modern people read sex into everything. David and Jonathan, Naomi and Ruth (daughter and mother-in-law, even), and Ruth sleeping at the feet of Boaz. It says something about their own warped sex drives. It's like the people who write "shipping" fan fiction where they write sexual scenarios involving characters from shows. The implicit assumption is that any person is a potential sex partner.
    You can get a large audience together for a strip-tease actthat is, to watch a girl undress on the stage. Now suppose you came to a country where you could fill a theater by simply bringing a covered plate on to the stage and then slowly lifting the cover so as to let every one see, just before the lights went out, that it contained a mutton chop or a bit of bacon, would you not think that in that country something had gone wrong with the appetite for food? And would not anyone who had grown up in a different world think there was something equally queer about the state of the sex instinct among us? CS Lewis
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    You can get a large audience together for a strip-tease actthat is, to watch a girl undress on the stage. Now suppose you came to a country where you could fill a theater by simply bringing a covered plate on to the stage and then slowly lifting the cover so as to let every one see, just before the lights went out, that it contained a mutton chop or a bit of bacon, would you not think that in that country something had gone wrong with the appetite for food? And would not anyone who had grown up in a different world think there was something equally queer about the state of the sex instinct among us? CS Lewis
    bacon.jpg

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    OK, it would work for bacon!
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    OK, it would work for bacon!
    But I think that's illegal in 47 states.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    But I think that's illegal in 47 states.
    No doubt, it is too much for a good man to resist!