Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Homosexuality a "worse sin" than other sins?

Professor and Chaplain Littlejoe's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    No. Not at all. Eli was never condemned in Scripture as a glutton - because although Scripture clearly states he was fat - he WASN'T a glutton.

Overeating isn't gluttony - it's not even inherently wasteful since the body stores what it doesn't use. Gluttony is almost absent in modern times, at least in the West. Bulimia is its closest cousin.

Gluttony is the act of deliberately vomiting a meal for the purpose of making room to continue to eat more. It's associated with feasting - gluttons would divest themselves in between courses so the could continue to sample the delicacies.

In modern times, the eight course meal is rarely served - and it pales in comparison to the number of courses and dishes that were served at feasts in antiquity and into the medieval period. A four remove feast, commonly reenacted in the SCA, can have ten to twelve dishes - NOT counting the bread course. It's tiny compared to feasts from period - some of up to twelve removes. I attended one such reenactment - believe me, no one ate the whole thing.
    While it's certainly true that fat ≠ gluttony, assigning it to ONLY overeating followed by vomiting is equally not correct. That certainly qualifies, but the very definition of gluttony is overindulging, overeating, over-drinking (drunkenness).
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlejoe View Post
    While it's certainly true that fat ≠ gluttony, assigning it to ONLY overeating followed by vomiting is equally not correct. That certainly qualifies, but the very definition of gluttony is overindulging, overeating, over-drinking (drunkenness).
    Modern definition, maybe, but that's not how the term was originally defined, nor how it has been historically understood. Overindulging is often unwise - but is not itself sin.

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Modern definition, maybe, but that's not how the term was originally defined, nor how it has been historically understood. Overindulging is often unwise - but is not itself sin.
    I suspect you're making the mistake of assuming that the Hebrew definition of gluttony (from well before the Roman empire existed) is equivalent to overeating + vomiting so more can be eaten - a practice I only recall explicitly linked to said Roman empire. If you're looking for 'historical understanding', gluttony has been linked with overindulging since at least the dawn of the monastic era (late 3rd/early 4th century).
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Are you talking about the English word, "glutton," or the Greek "phagos"? Or is the same true of both?
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    I suspect you're making the mistake of assuming that the Hebrew definition of gluttony (from well before the Roman empire existed) is equivalent to overeating + vomiting so more can be eaten - a practice I only recall explicitly linked to said Roman empire. If you're looking for 'historical understanding', gluttony has been linked with overindulging since at least the dawn of the monastic era (late 3rd/early 4th century).
    Do we know which idea the authors of Scripture had in mind in using the Greek "phagos"?
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    Do we know which idea the authors of Scripture had in mind in using the Greek "phagos"?
    It's somewhat immaterial, IMO, since Proverbs, et al. rather predate Greek.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I view homosexuality as part of "sexual immorality" which the bible condemns in various places. I don't think it is any better or worse than any other sexual immorality. I do think that adding pride to the mix makes it worse because you are encouraging others to sin with you by claiming it is "good" and not a sin.

And as far as gluttony goes, I think all Americans and Europeans could be accused of that by those in the third world who have to scrape for scraps. But I view gluttony as someone who takes undue pleasure in eating. Eating past just getting nourishment and overdoing it, just like an alcoholic overdoes drinking. I am not talking an occasional dinner out, or a Baptist church pot-luck picnic once in a while. I am talking about making a lifestyle of it. That is gluttony. When food takes precedent over your life, like booze does to an alcoholic.

I myself am overweight. Partly because of genetics, partly because of age and some medications. I don't overeat most of the time, I try to eat healthy because of high cholesterol and diabetes, but I can't seem to lose any weight. I am sure most people looking at me would think "glutton" - but I don't revel in food, taking undue pleasure in stuffing my face. I actually see food as an enemy sometimes, keeping me from losing weight. Unlike an alcoholic, you can't abstain from food.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    As I understand it, the concept of vomitoriums, and/or overeating + vomiting is a bit of a myth for the Romans as well.

I can't seem to find anything in the Old Testament commentaries I've read that indicate that Biblical gluttony included overeating and vomiting, though to be fair, commentaries are rarely exhaustive on the use of single words/phrases. It's very possible that there's a monograph that deals with the subject.

The passages that Littlejoe cites in post #22 are interesting. English Bibles translate a couple different Hebrew words into glutton/gluttony. So, for instance, the Deuteronomy passage translates the Hebrew word zalal/zalel to glutton, but that's a pretty loose translation of the word which literally means "to shake", but probably in context means something closer to "squanderer." The Proverbs passages are a translation of the phrase ba'al nepeš which roughly means something like "man of big appetite" where nepeš is the Hebrew word for throat or gullet. The context of Old Testament warnings seem less to do with overeating as we understand it, and more to do with (at least in Proverbs 23) polite rules for eating in the company of rulers, and (in most other passages) wasteful eating. Ancient Israel obviously didn't have a McDonalds on the corner of every block, and overeating was a concern, not necessarily because of any physical issues, but because you'd be eating into shared and limited resources.

The Bible has other passages on excessive behavior, over-indulging just for the sake of over-indulging, and making pleasure an idol, but it doesn't seem to me it necessarily has in mind the preacher who relishes the idea of the church BBQ and bake sale. But yeah, anything done in excess can be sinful, whether it's too much eating or watching too much TV or what have you.

9. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    anything done in excess can be sinful, whether it's too much eating or watching too much TV or what have you.
    ...But not spending too much time on theologyweb, right? right?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    ...But not spending too much time on theologyweb, right? right?
    No, that's especially sinful.