Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should You Live Together Before Marriage?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    What is sad is it seems a growing trend among the younger generation is to live together have kids and never bother to get married. I know two couples in the 20's that are doing that, and one just broke up after 10 years and just "went their own ways" - luckily they didn't have kids. But it's like they don't think there is any reason to get married any more.
    The mentality is, "why bother? We're just going to divorce eventually anyway". There are fewer and fewer examples of healthy relationships for them to emulate, and so the more bad relationships there are, the more widespread they become. It's a feedback loop of the worst kind.
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

2. Amen One Bad Pig, Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I'm wondering how accurate it can be - I mean -- how many couples will admit to a government agency or survey that they're living together? Not because they see any kind of stigma to it, but that they might think it's none of the government's business?
    I don't remember exactly how the survey works, but I think part of the resulting report is just compiled lists of records anyway and charting trends, like the average age at first marriage, what percentage of all marriages are interracial, etc.. I don't think everyone whose records are in the results are surveyed. Besides, most people nowadays are proud of the fact that they're super modern and progressive and can throw away people as easily as a used napkin.
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

4. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaFille View Post
    I don't remember exactly how the survey works, but I think part of the resulting report is just compiled lists of records anyway and charting trends, like the average age at first marriage, what percentage of all marriages are interracial, etc.. I don't think everyone whose records are in the results are surveyed. Besides, most people nowadays are proud of the fact that they're super modern and progressive and can throw away people as easily as a used napkin.
    Yeah, I think this kind of information is going to become more and more useless, as the younger kids don't have home phones, permanent addresses, don't like responding to surveys, etc.... Kinda like how political polling can be so wrong!
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Yeah, I think this kind of information is going to become more and more useless, as the younger kids don't have home phones, permanent addresses, don't like responding to surveys, etc.... Kinda like how political polling can be so wrong!
    Political polling is starting to rely on cell phones and texting now but it has to be harder to target since so many people have cell phones with area codes that don't reflect their current locations. (Like my phone has an area code halfway across the country.)
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

Department Head Apologiaphoenix's Avatar
    Faith
    Trinitarian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWall View Post
    So how do we show people that marriage is worth anything? I mean it seems marriage has a serious PR issue
    We live it well and like CP said, it takes work. Allie and I have had a number of tough struggles already, but I follow the mentality of Fireproof. Never leave your partner behind.

8. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Political polling is starting to rely on cell phones and texting now but it has to be harder to target since so many people have cell phones with area codes that don't reflect their current locations. (Like my phone has an area code halfway across the country.)
    Not only that, but many of us cell phone users are more likely to not answer a call we don't recognize or want, or send it to voicemail.

If you're home, and the phone rings, you're more likely to be able to take the call.
    When you're away from home, and the cell phone rings, I think you're less likely to be able to take the call -- you're driving, in a meeting, eating lunch, talking to friends, playing games on your phone...
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.