Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Kids In Cages...

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Yeah...not so much. Look - an expert is more likely to have a correct opinion, by virtue of the fact that they are an expert. I grant you that. But that doesn't mean any of us should simply blindly accept what an expert says because they are an expert. Rogue's and Seer's response boiled down to "who are you to question an expert?" Who I am is a rational, thinking human being who can do some research, evaluate arguments, and weigh them on their merits. I've put forward my reasons for my immigration positions and the wall. If someone wants to tackle the issues raised, I'm happy to discuss. If they just want to declare that "experts disagree with me," then they haven't made an argument; they've just observed a situation. I already know I disagree with a few experts. That doesn't advance the discussion, IMO.

And I am way past repeating myself, so I'll leave the last word on "experts" to y'all. If anyone wants to discuss the actual issues, I'm happy to engage.
    It must be difficult for those who do not realise the fallacy to know what to think when two experts disagree.
    "This is why in my debates with atheists and agnostics I always try to treat them with charity and civility and not engage in name-calling or insults or even just interruptions. I think that is uncivil discourse." - Dr. William Lane Craig.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    Whether or not an eleven foot ladder beats a ten foot fence depends on how you plan to get down the other side. With a twenty foot wall you're courting a world of pain if you jump...
    Well these guys thought they could drive over it, but they got stuck.

3. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

I wonder if they said the Spanish version of "Hey, bubba - hold my beer and watch THIS!"
    I have called you my friends.... Jesus
    Jn 15:15

6. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    It must be difficult for those who do not realise the fallacy to know what to think when two experts disagree.
    In my experience, they simply choose the "expert" that aligns with their pre-existing POV and discount the expertise of the other person. I've seen it over and over again, from both directions.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So basically we should just ignore your personal opinion because you have absolutely no expertise or knowledge of the situation, or of walls and are just an arm-chair pontificator spouting off nonsense? OK!
    You can ignore anything you wish. If you wish to discuss the specific arguments made, I'm happy to engage.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

9. Amen Charles amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    In my experience, they simply choose the "expert" that aligns with their pre-existing POV and discount the expertise of the other person. I've seen it over and over again, from both directions.
    Good to know you're above that sort of thing, seeing as you don't bow down to experts and all. I'm sure we'll all remember this post next time you cite one for whatever point you're trying to prove.

11. Amen Teallaura, NorrinRadd, Cow Poke, Sparko amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    Whether or not an eleven foot ladder beats a ten foot fence depends on how you plan to get down the other side. With a twenty foot wall you're courting a world of pain if you jump...
    Especially with those punji sticks I'm putting at the base.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

13. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    invalid value
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    That rhetoric is precisely how innocent people end up getting beaten. Look at Antifa in Portland, who seem to think everybody is a tool of fascism.
    So, while your President is putting children into concentration camps, so many that they cannot lay down on the floor to sleep, you are complaining about anti-fascism?
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” ― Anne Lamott
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by firstfloor View Post
    So, while your President is putting children into concentration camps, so many that they cannot lay down on the floor to sleep, you are complaining about anti-fascism?
    Hey troll, you ever hear of a concentration camp where people line up to break into? Or one where you can leave by simply saying you want to go home?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

16. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.