Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Tommy Robinson: Free Speech Issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tommy Robinson: Free Speech Issue?

Do any Brits here know what this is about? What exactly did he do wrong?

Ugly scenes as furious Tommy Robinson supporters riot outside Parliament and burn EU flags after the EDL founder was jailed for nine months for contempt

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ld-Bailey.html
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Is he that comedian who posted a joke to social media that the British government decided was inappropriate?
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Quick overview from Wikipedia:

Source: Tommy Robinson (activist)

Stephen Yaxley-Lennon[21] (born 27 November 1982),[22] known as Tommy Robinson, is a British far-right and anti-Islam activist.[23] He has served as a political advisor to the Leader of the UK Independence Party (UKIP), Gerard Batten, since November 2018. Robinson is a co-founder, former spokesman and former leader of the English Defence League (EDL) organisation.[24] He has on previous occasions used the pseudonyms Andrew McMaster, Paul Harris,[14] Wayne King,[4][25] and Stephen Lennon.[14]

Robinson has been active in far-right politics for many years. He was a member of the neo-fascist and white nationalist British National Party (BNP) from 2004 to 2005.[1] For a short time in 2012, he was joint vice-chairman of the British Freedom Party (BFP). Robinson led the EDL from 2009 until 8 October 2013. He continued as an activist, and in 2015 became involved with the development of Pegida UK, a British chapter of the German-based Pegida organisation (Patriotic Europeans Against the Islamisation of the West).[26] From 2017 to 2018, Robinson wrote for and appeared in online videos for The Rebel Media, a Canadian far-right political website.

Robinson has accumulated several criminal convictions and has served three prison sentences. His criminal record includes convictions for violence, financial and immigration frauds, drug possession, public order offences, and contempt of court.[27][28][29] He has served at least three separate custodial sentences: in 2005 for assault, in 2012 for using false travel documents to enter the United States, and in 2014 for mortgage fraud.[14][17][5] In May 2018, Robinson was sentenced to 13 months' imprisonment for contempt of court after publishing a Facebook Live video of defendants entering a law court, contravening a court order that disallows reporting on such trials while proceedings are ongoing. On 1 August 2018, due to procedural errors, he was released on bail pending a new hearing of the case.[30] On 5 July 2019, Robinson was again found guilty of contempt of court at the retrial and was sentenced at the Old Bailey to nine months in prison on 11 July․[31][32] Before his sentencing, Robinson appeared on InfoWars and appealed for political asylum in the United States.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Hmmm... perhaps the British government is right to drop the hammer on him. Guy sounds like a classic anarchist.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            In May 2018, Robinson was sentenced to 13 months' imprisonment for contempt of court after publishing a Facebook Live video of defendants entering a law court, contravening a court order that disallows reporting on such trials while proceedings are ongoing. On 1 August 2018, due to procedural errors, he was released on bail pending a new hearing of the case.[30] On 5 July 2019, Robinson was again found guilty of contempt of court at the retrial and was sentenced at the Old Bailey to nine months in prison on 11 July․[31][32] Before his sentencing, Robinson appeared on InfoWars and appealed for political asylum in the United States.

This is what he is going to jail for now. For recording Muslim men in court, who were involved in a rape sex ring.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

There are many problems going on where police and government are protecting the Muslims doing crimes while preventing non-immigrants from any protection of the police and courts.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                There are many problems going on where police and government are protecting the Muslims doing crimes while preventing non-immigrants from any protection of the police and courts.
                I think that was what Robinson was trying to expose - and he got jail for it...

Comment

The contempt charge comes from the violation of a gag order during the duration of a trial. The UK has different laws regarding reporting during trials, and this particular law is to prevent the risk of jurors being swayed. He had already been serving a suspended sentence for doing it.

Robinson likes to portray himself as a free speech martyr but he has a lot of baggage relating to violence (at least one bar fight, one fight at a soccer game). I will say, the reports of him being a racist are lazy and inaccurate; his focus is on Muslims, not race, and he left the English Defense League when white nationalists started taking it over.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Maybe some of you don’t remember, but your nation and mine fought against fascism in the 1940’s. It’s still around and popular in some quarters. People seem to have forgotten what it does. When you see it, beat it down, hard.
                    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                      Maybe some of you don’t remember, but your nation and mine fought against fascism in the 1940’s. It’s still around and popular in some quarters. People seem to have forgotten what it does. When you see it, beat it down, hard.
                      That rhetoric is precisely how innocent people end up getting beaten. Look at Antifa in Portland, who seem to think everybody is a tool of fascism.
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                        Trump is cruel to immigrants because he thinks it guarantees your vote.
                        There is quite an irony to the fact that these evil acts don't stop the evangelicals from supporting Trump. I was a stranger....
                        "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Moderated By: Sparko

I moved the off topic posts about immigrants to the "Kids in Cages" thread located here:

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...-Kids-In-Cages

Please don't derail this thread and take any posts about immigration to that thread linked above or start a new one.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                          Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Comment