Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: US Census

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    The general plan from conservatives seems to be that if they receive a census form that doesn't ask the citizenship question, they'll just pitch it in the trash.
    That would be monumentally stupid. "Hey, let's help the liberals even more by being UNDERcounted!"
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    So I was wondering... Even if Trump got his way and put the question about citizenship on the census, why would any illegal admit it?

They are already paranoid about the government finding them out, so why would they tell the truth about it on the census?
    While I don't fully understand why people would oppose a citizenship question, I do not agree with the Trump administration effectively violating a Supreme Court ruling to make it happen.

Jim
    OK - maybe there are 'some' friends

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    That would be monumentally stupid. "Hey, let's help the liberals even more by being UNDERcounted!"
    Yeah, not so great a plan.
    I have called you my friends.... Jesus
    Jn 15:15

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    While I don't fully understand why people would oppose a citizenship question, I do not agree with the Trump administration effectively violating a Supreme Court ruling to make it happen.

Jim
    Yeah same here since he pretty much stacked the SCOTUS to his side, he should at least go by their ruling on it. But they didn't say it was unconstitutional or anything, they just said his reasoning wasn't sufficient or some such. The question used to be on the census and I see no problem with it. I also don't see that it would really work because illegals would probably lie on it.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Yeah, not so great a plan.
    Not to mention illegal.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Yeah same here since he pretty much stacked the SCOTUS to his side, he should at least go by their ruling on it. But they didn't say it was unconstitutional or anything, they just said his reasoning wasn't sufficient or some such. The question used to be on the census and I see no problem with it. I also don't see that it would really work because illegals would probably lie on it.
    Which is why I think it's all about politics -- Trump, again, is backing liberals into the corner of 'open borders' while playing to his base that he's defending the country.
    I have called you my friends.... Jesus
    Jn 15:15

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Jim
    When the Supreme Court gets too political, a political counter-response isn't a surprise. It isn't uncommon that alternative approaches to a problem are offered when SCOTUS points out a problem with a previous attempt.

8. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewhitney View Post
    That would help compensate for illegal migrants being counted. Greater accuracy in the census count is a good goal. Imagine California losing half of its representatives.
    There were estimates that California, New York and (IIRC) Illinois would lose 12 or more seats if the citizenship question was on the census.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    There were estimates that California, New York and (IIRC) Illinois would lose 12 or more seats if the citizenship question was on the census.
    It would depend again on the supreme court, whether they decide that representation only counts citizens or total population. The constitution doesn't say, but it could be argued that since illegals and non-citizens can't vote, they don't get representation in our government.

11. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Since conservative votes don't count within California, the conservatives in California shouldn't be included in the census count. Right?