Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Homo Sapiens migrated to Europe at least 210,000 years ago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homo Sapiens migrated to Europe at least 210,000 years ago

Recent evaluation of aa skull found in Greece demonstrates Homo Sapiens migrated to Greece before Neanderthals.

Source: http://www.sci-news.com/othersciences/anthropology/apidima-2-skull-early-homo-sapiens-07377.html

Enigmatic Skull Found in Greece Suggests Early Homo sapiens Reached Europe 210,000 Years Ago

A 210,000-year-old partial skull found in southern Greece about four decades ago has been identified as the earliest example of anatomically modern Homo sapiens discovered outside the African continent. The discovery, described in a paper in the journal Nature, pushes back the known date of our species in Europe by more than 150,000 years.

An artist’s reconstruction of an anatomically modern Homo sapiens. Image credit: Peter Schouten.
    An artist’s reconstruction of an anatomically modern Homo sapiens. Image credit: Peter Schouten.

“Our results suggest that at least two groups of people lived in the Middle Pleistocene in what is now southern Greece: an early Homo sapiens population, followed by a Neanderthal population,” said Professor Katerina Harvati, a researcher at the Senckenberg Centre for Human Evolution and Palaeoenvironment at the University of Tübingen, Germany.

Professor Harvati and colleagues re-examined two fossilized human skulls discovered in 1978 in Apidima Cave, Mani, southern Greece.

They virtually reconstructed both specimens, dubbed Apidima 1 and Apidima 2, and conducted detailed comparative description and geometric morphometric analyses.

They also used U-series radiometric methods to date the fossils and the surrounding sediments.

“Apidima 2 is about 170,000 years old. We could tell that it was a Neanderthal,” Professor Harvati said.

“Surprisingly, Apidima 1 is even older, about 210,000 years old, but has no Neanderthal features. Rather, we revealed a mixture of modern human and primitive features, indicating an early Homo sapiens.”

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment