Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Answering Street Epistemology

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I have only dabbled in apologetics.

The external evidence would serve as a bridge to accepting the gospel. It would be like crossing a brook via a felled tree. When you are on the right side of the brook, it is okay if the tree is washed away.

The change that a person has toward the Bible is spiritual and transcends the understanding gained through logic. Would this be agreeable to such apologists?

2. Amen KingsGambit amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    Some atheists say, "I'm not claiming that God does not exist. I just lack a belief in God."
    Just "lacking a belief in God" without at the same time believing God does not exist is not possible unless you have no knowledge of the concept of God in the first place. If you "lack a belief in God" while being aware of the concept of God and what it means then you automatically believe God does not exist. Either that, or you're an agnostic (in the original "whether God exists is unknowable" sense, and not the newish "I don't believe God exists, but I'm not sure" sense, i.e weak atheism).

"I just lack a belief in God" is just an excuse cowards use in order to avoid having to defend their position.
    Last edited by Chrawnus; 07-16-2019 at 02:59 PM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrawnus View Post
    Just "lacking a belief in God" without at the same time believing God does not exist is not possible unless you have no knowledge of the concept of God in the first place. If you "lack a belief in God" while being aware of the concept of God and what it means then you automatically believe God does not exist. Either that, or you're an agnostic (in the original "whether God exists is unknowable" sense, and not the newish "I don't believe God exists, but I'm not sure" sense, i.e weak atheism).

"I just lack a belief in God" is just an excuse cowards use in order to avoid having to defend their position.
    Yep. As I said earlier, while the evidence for God might not be convincing to them, they have to admit that there IS evidence, and that there is no positive evidence for there not being a God, so the only logical stance they could have is agnosticism. If they claim atheist, then they are not only lacking a belief in God, they are making the affirmative statement that there IS no God.

Same with UFOs being aliens visiting us. I personally don't believe the various reports and evidence, but I can't say positively they are not real. I have to remain agnostic on the matter, if I want to be honest about it.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Yep. As I said earlier, while the evidence for God might not be convincing to them, they have to admit that there IS evidence, and that there is no positive evidence for there not being a God, so the only logical stance they could have is agnosticism. If they claim atheist, then they are not only lacking a belief in God, they are making the affirmative statement that there IS no God.

Same with UFOs being aliens visiting us. I personally don't believe the various reports and evidence, but I can't say positively they are not real. I have to remain agnostic on the matter, if I want to be honest about it.
    Wait, I thought you were alien?

download.jpg
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post

download.jpg
    I just had too much grog.

7. Amen seer amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post

download.jpg
    That's Johnny Depp.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    I agree with your idea of challenging them on whether there is a reliable method for knowing anything. Someone can say that he or she definitely knows something because he or she experienced it with one of their five senses, but one can ask, "How do you know that your senses are reliable?" Someone else could claim that they know things because he or she figured something out with their reasoning skills, but someone could ask about how their reasoning is reliable. A person can ask "How do you know that?" every time he hears a knowledge claim. In order to avoid the infinite regress of justifying one's truth claims, there must be some belief that does not require a justification or a belief that is impossible to deny its truth.

What do you think of the presuppositionalist's claim that without the Christian God, one cannot justify their belief that their senses and reasoning are reliable?
    Do you know, that's just the sort of leading response I would expect of a Street Epistemologist. I noticed when you were new that many of your responses fitted the Street Epistemologist pattern, and on looking at your recent posts I see that pattern continues.

Most Street Epistemologists are atheists, it's part of the ethos, part of the DNA, it's part of Peter Boghossian's 'deconvert a million' strategy of using a target 10,000 Street Epistemologists to deconvert a ball-park 100 each. While I am sure it is no offence against TheologyWeb rules to be a Street Epistemologist, it is against the rules to claim to be a Christian when you are not and post where you may not.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    My usual response to the typical atheist epistemological trainwreck is to say that I'm not looking for absolute certainty, only reasonable certainty.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    My usual response to the typical atheist epistemological trainwreck is to say that I'm not looking for absolute certainty, only reasonable certainty.
    If I had to guess, they'd go and argue that Hebrews 11:1 requires absolute certainty. But that seems to be an abuse of the context there.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    "Reasonable certainty" and "high degree of confidence" are not mutually exclusive.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra