Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump proves he’s a racist.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
    Cherry pick much?
    Nope.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• No, telling people who are black that they are not authentically black unless they agree with a certain perspective is a dictionary definition of racism. Who else remembers Starlight trying to argue that "Uncle Tom" is not a racist phrase a few years ago?
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Who said it, and to what were they refering to?
        One of the squad, Jimmy.

Rep. Ayanna Pressley (D-MA) speaks at Netroots Nation conference on Saturday: "I don't want to bring a chair to an old table. This is the time to shake the table. This is the time to redefine that table. Because if you're going to come to this table, all of you who have aspirations of running for office. If you’re not prepared to come to that table and represent that voice, don’t come, because we don't need any more brown faces that don't want to be a brown voice. We don’t need black faces that don't want to be a black voice. We don't need Muslims that don’t want to be a Muslim voice. We don’t need queers that don't want to be a queer voice. If you’re worried about being marginalized and stereotyped, please don't even show up because we need you to represent that voice."

But no, it isn't racist from what I can gather from out of your cherry picked quote. It sounds as if the speaker is saying that if you are afraid of what some may think of you, then you'll be of little help to the cause, and there is no need for you to be there, wherever there is!
        There's nothing "cherry picked" about it. It's one of your party's brightest and best morons spewing forth stupidity.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• The article is paywalled on local news, but AOC's manager (the guy who's thought of as the brains behind her) attacked Rep. Sharice Davids (D-KS) for supporting a compromise bill on the border, saying that her motivations were racist while stopping short of calling her racist herself. Davids is a rising star in the Democratic Party, having turned a red district in a very red state. Oh, and she's both Native American and gay.

The House Democratic Party's twitter went up to bat for her, but the main reason it defended Ms. Davids was on the basis of her being a "woman of color" who turned a red district blue. I believe she was right on that issue and that AOC's manager was wrong, but her race was the only thing that seemed to matter in defending her.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            One of the squad, Jimmy.
            Oh, don't ya just love them, CP!
            Rep. Ayanna Pressley (D-MA) speaks at Netroots Nation conference on Saturday: "I don't want to bring a chair to an old table. This is the time to shake the table. This is the time to redefine that table. Because if you're going to come to this table, all of you who have aspirations of running for office. If you’re not prepared to come to that table and represent that voice, don’t come, because we don't need any more brown faces that don't want to be a brown voice. We don’t need black faces that don't want to be a black voice. We don't need Muslims that don’t want to be a Muslim voice. We don’t need queers that don't want to be a queer voice. If you’re worried about being marginalized and stereotyped, please don't even show up because we need you to represent that voice."
            Seems to me that the last sentence of the quote makes explicit her intent. At any rate, it's far from being a racist statement, as much as you'd like to believe it is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Jim, do you loudly and clearly denounce Antifa?
              I clearly denounce violence and the incitement of violence no matter who it comes from, CP. But that has nothing to do with what we are talking about.

Comment

I really DO! They're almost certain to get Trump a second term.

Seems to me that the last sentence of the quote makes explicit her intent.
                It's no surprise to me at all that you think all black people should be expected to "have a black voice", and so on --- you're not bright enough to know how racist that really is.

At any rate, it's far from being a racist statement, as much as you'd like to believe it is.
                That proves you don't really have a clue what racism is, Jimmy.

Comment

• I have the distinct impression, just from today's postings alone, that those on the left have a blind spot for racism from their own side, and vice versa. It's rather sad.

Comment

Seems to me that the last sentence of the quote makes explicit her intent. At any rate, it's far from being a racist statement, as much as you'd like to believe it is.
                    Given that the definition of racism you guys seem to want to use is 'any assumption, no matter how benign, regarding a person's race, no matter how obliquely' then yes, it's racist by that definition. Using the conservative version 'prejudice and negative bias directed at people of a given race', no it's not racist.

Thing is, you only get to use one definition.
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                      I have the distinct impression, just from today's postings alone, that those on the left have a blind spot for racism from their own side, and vice versa. It's rather sad.
                      I have an issue with conflating bias to racism, yes. Do I have bias' - sure. Am I an actual racist - no.

Like I said, overuse has made the term lose much of its meaningfulness - and it also shuts down conversations we need to actually have.
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I have the distinct impression, just from today's postings alone, that those on the left have a blind spot for racism from their own side, and vice versa. It's rather sad.
                        Pressely is speaking there in support of diverse groups, she's standing up for brown people, for black people, for muslim people, for lgbtq people. It's ridiculous to read that as being a racist remark, or to think she is racist. That's just CP dumb!

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                          The United States is built on immigration.
                          It's also built on subjugation and slavery, but I don't see you arguing for more of that. Or are you?

All of us except native Americans are descendants of immigrants, so are three of the four Congressman attacked by Trump are born in the USA.
                          Native Americans are also descendants of immigrants, they were settlers, just like the Englishmen who created the United States.
                          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

Like I said, overuse has made the term lose much of its meaningfulness - and it also shuts down conversations we need to actually have.
                            But now that society at large seems to be picking up on that, it seems to open the door for people to intentionally push the envelope further, no?

Comment

Pressely is speaking there in support of diverse groups, she's standing up for brown people, for black people, for muslim people, for lgbtq people. It's ridiculous to read that as being a racist remark, or to think she is racist. That's just CP dumb!
                              "She's only speaking for the races I like, therefore she isn't racist."

"As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

But now that society at large seems to be picking up on that, it seems to open the door for people to intentionally push the envelope further, no?
                                We can only hope.

Comment