Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump proves he’s a racist.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post
    Leonhard, those quotes were accurate, this is not an unknown concept. Sure nuts can use anything to justify their violence.
    Listen, seer, if you wanna talk about it feel free. But argument by weblink is not something I'm interested in.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      No, all politics is about power. Identity is just the latest trend in window dressing.
      Politics are an exercise in power - no doubt about it. But it is always on behalf of an identifiable group.

If you disagree - then your course is simple: give me an example of an exercise of political power that was NOT about a particular group of people.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
        The fact you are ignorant of history and the use of the phrase "go back where they came from" does not change the facts surrounding its historical use and the implications of its use by Trump.

Jim
        Again Jim was the term we used in the 60s, "America, love it or leave it" racist? If I told an America hating Russian immigrant to go back where he came from - racist?
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
          If you disagree - then your course is simple: give me an example of an exercise of political power that was NOT about a particular group of people.
          How about a particular set of values or ideals?
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Again Jim was the term we used in the 60s, "America, love it or leave it" racist? If I told an America hating Russian immigrant to go back where he came from - racist?
            "America, love it or leave it" is a generic statement applicable to the entire population.
            "Go back where you came from" is a specific statement aimed at an individual or group that is deemed an "outsider."

This is an apples-to-oranges comparison.
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

How about a particular set of values or ideals?
              Vague. Give me a concrete example of an exercise of political power that was NOT about a particular group of people. Then you can make the case that politics is not always about identity. I don't see how you can do it. There is no political position/movement/concept that wasn't conceived because someone(s) somewhere had a need. If no group is experiencing a need - then there is no need to wield political power.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                Listen, seer, if you wanna talk about it feel free. But argument by weblink is not something I'm interested in.
                Leonhard, if you have some free time listen to Jordan.

Comment

As I said to MM, "go back where they came from" is racist (and anti-immigration) rhetoric that has been in common use from before the KKK was formed.

For Trump to use it and double down on it can really lead to no other conclusion.

Jim
                  Stop believing the fake news lies. Trump never said "go back where they came from". Here's what he actually said:

So interesting to see “Progressive” Democrat Congresswomen, who originally came from countries whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe, the worst, most corrupt and inept anywhere in the world (if they even have a functioning government at all), now loudly and viciously telling the people of the United States, the greatest and most powerful Nation on earth, how our government is to be run. Why don’t they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came. Then come back and show us how it is done. These places need your help badly, you can’t leave fast enough. I’m sure that Nancy Pelosi would be very happy to quickly work out free travel arrangements!

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...ich-they-came/

Again, this is clearly a political statement and not a racist one.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Trump said "they can go back where they came from"...
                    No, he didn't.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                      Leonhard, if you have some free time listen to Jordan.
                      I've already got Marie Konde's works if I need tips on cleaning my room. I've only read a bit of Jordan Peterson, and I've only come back with an impression that

1) He's a postmodernist and doesn't realize it.
                      B) He doesn't have a clue what postmodernism is.
                      III) His book Maps of Meaning is a mess.
                      Last edited by Leonhard; 07-16-2019, 01:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                        Politics are an exercise in power - no doubt about it. But it is always on behalf of an identifiable group.

*emphasis mine

You just affirmed my position - politics is about power.
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                          The fact you are ignorant of history and the use of the phrase "go back where they came from" does not change the facts surrounding its historical use and the implications of its use by Trump.

Jim
                          The fact is that Trump never said "go back where they came from".

Comment

Vague. Give me a concrete example of an exercise of political power that was NOT about a particular group of people. Then you can make the case that politics is not always about identity. I don't see how you can do it. There is no political position/movement/concept that wasn't conceived because someone(s) somewhere had a need.
                            Carp, I'm not sure what you mean, yes politics effect people, but I don't argue for specific groups - black, white, brown, yellow. But for policies that broadly help all groups and races.

Comment

"America, love it or leave it" is a generic statement applicable to the entire population.
                              "Go back where you came from" is a specific statement aimed at an individual or group that is deemed an "outsider."

This is an apples-to-oranges comparison.
                              What is wrong with telling outsiders who hate a country and actively work against the interests of its people to go back to their countries of origin?
                              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                The fact is that Trump never said "go back where they came from".
                                Here is the exact quote

Source: Trump

Why don’t they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came.

© Copyright Original Source

I guess you think because he suggested a job for them while they are there it makes it 'better'?

Jim
                                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment