Faith
    Trinitarian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Thoughts on ComicCon

What did I think?

Link

-----

What can be learned at a place like Comic-Con? Letís plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

This past weekend, my wife and I went to Comic-Con together. If you donít know, itís a convention where people who like comics, anime, sci-fi, video games, those kinds of things, all get together. Some people come in costumes dressed as popular characters known as cosplaying.

For me, my big honor was getting to meet David Yost who played the original blue power ranger on Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. Allie got to meet Sean Schemmel who does the voice of Goku on Dragonball. Goku was a hero of hers growing up which was a major honor.

We did meet one person who had a stall set up with a comic series he has that is Christian-based and chatted with him briefly. Other than that, I didnít really see much in the terms of religious reference there. However, while religion isnít explicitly there, letís mention that many of these people are fans of series that do not kowtow to a materialistic view of the universe. These are universes where magical beings roam. Sure, it may not be God, but there is an openness.

There is also the reality that bullying really doesnít go on at these conventions. Now, of course, I havenít been to every convention, but when I have, people are really friendly and open to each other. People donít hesitate to speak with one another.

These people are at a place where in many instances, they are free to be themselves. There is a great openness there. It kind of makes me wonder what it would be like if that could happen in a church. What if we could come to a church and share what is really going on in our lives and do so without fear of judgment? Iím not saying at ComicCon people gather together and spill their guts, but we all unite around our common interests there. We share a common passion and itís easy to speak to people when you share that common interest.

Now supposedly at a church, weíre all supposed to share a common interest, and that is the interest of following Christ. We are all supposed to be chasing after God and pursuing holiness together. Yet for some reason, there doesnít often seem to be that same kind of togetherness there.

As I said, there was one guy doing Christian comics, but what if we did have more of a Christian presence at places like anime conventions and comic cons and places like Dragon Con and others? These people need to hear the gospel as well. Thankfully, there are some people like Vic Mignogna, a popular voice actor, at these places sharing a Christian light, but they are the exception.

The harvest is ripe. Your neighbor is right next door to you. He might be dressed up as Deadpool, but he is still your neighbor.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters

2. Amen TheWall amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Wow. Vic Mignogna is a Christian? That is good to hear. He has some reputation via his production of the Star Trek Continues episodes.
    https://www.startrekcontinues.com/episodes.html

What does he do now?

I just saw that invitations to most of the conventions this year have been withdrawn and he canceled some appearances. Is there any story behind that?

https://animecons.com/guests/bio/517/vic-mignogna
    Last edited by mikewhitney; 07-15-2019 at 10:49 PM.

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewhitney View Post
    Wow. Vic Mignogna is a Christian? That is good to hear. He has some reputation via his production of the Star Trek Continues episodes.
    https://www.startrekcontinues.com/episodes.html

What does he do now?

I just saw that invitations to most of the conventions this year have been withdrawn and he canceled some appearances. Is there any story behind that?

https://animecons.com/guests/bio/517/vic-mignogna
    Well, there's this unfortunate stuff about allegations of sexual harassment.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    Well, there's this unfortunate stuff about allegations of sexual harassment.
    Yeah, Funimation cut their ties with him earlier this year as a result of the allegations and he is suing them.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Department Head Apologiaphoenix's Avatar
    Faith
    Trinitarian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    And it's a bunch of nonsense as well. I've met him. He's not like that at all.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
    And it's a bunch of nonsense as well. I've met him. He's not like that at all.
    I have been very surprised by people I've met who "aren't like that at all".
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

8. Amen Leonhard, KingsGambit amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Trinitarian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I have been very surprised by people I've met who "aren't like that at all".
    The person who started the claims has a personal grudge against Vic and Allie tells me Funimation even faked evidence.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
    The person who started the claims has a personal grudge against Vic and Allie tells me Funimation even faked evidence.
    yowza
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Did you dress up in a bronie costume?

Faith
    Trinitarian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    No, but I did sit in the Batmobile