Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Thoughts on ComicCon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on ComicCon

What did I think?

Link

-----

What can be learned at a place like Comic-Con? Let’s plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

This past weekend, my wife and I went to Comic-Con together. If you don’t know, it’s a convention where people who like comics, anime, sci-fi, video games, those kinds of things, all get together. Some people come in costumes dressed as popular characters known as cosplaying.

For me, my big honor was getting to meet David Yost who played the original blue power ranger on Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. Allie got to meet Sean Schemmel who does the voice of Goku on Dragonball. Goku was a hero of hers growing up which was a major honor.

We did meet one person who had a stall set up with a comic series he has that is Christian-based and chatted with him briefly. Other than that, I didn’t really see much in the terms of religious reference there. However, while religion isn’t explicitly there, let’s mention that many of these people are fans of series that do not kowtow to a materialistic view of the universe. These are universes where magical beings roam. Sure, it may not be God, but there is an openness.

There is also the reality that bullying really doesn’t go on at these conventions. Now, of course, I haven’t been to every convention, but when I have, people are really friendly and open to each other. People don’t hesitate to speak with one another.

These people are at a place where in many instances, they are free to be themselves. There is a great openness there. It kind of makes me wonder what it would be like if that could happen in a church. What if we could come to a church and share what is really going on in our lives and do so without fear of judgment? I’m not saying at ComicCon people gather together and spill their guts, but we all unite around our common interests there. We share a common passion and it’s easy to speak to people when you share that common interest.

Now supposedly at a church, we’re all supposed to share a common interest, and that is the interest of following Christ. We are all supposed to be chasing after God and pursuing holiness together. Yet for some reason, there doesn’t often seem to be that same kind of togetherness there.

As I said, there was one guy doing Christian comics, but what if we did have more of a Christian presence at places like anime conventions and comic cons and places like Dragon Con and others? These people need to hear the gospel as well. Thankfully, there are some people like Vic Mignogna, a popular voice actor, at these places sharing a Christian light, but they are the exception.

The harvest is ripe. Your neighbor is right next door to you. He might be dressed up as Deadpool, but he is still your neighbor.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters

Wow. Vic Mignogna is a Christian? That is good to hear. He has some reputation via his production of the Star Trek Continues episodes.
    https://www.startrekcontinues.com/episodes.html

What does he do now?

I just saw that invitations to most of the conventions this year have been withdrawn and he canceled some appearances. Is there any story behind that?

https://animecons.com/guests/bio/517/vic-mignogna
    Last edited by mikewhitney; 07-16-2019, 12:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
      Wow. Vic Mignogna is a Christian? That is good to hear. He has some reputation via his production of the Star Trek Continues episodes.
      https://www.startrekcontinues.com/episodes.html

What does he do now?

I just saw that invitations to most of the conventions this year have been withdrawn and he canceled some appearances. Is there any story behind that?

https://animecons.com/guests/bio/517/vic-mignogna
      Well, there's this unfortunate stuff about allegations of sexual harassment.
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
        Well, there's this unfortunate stuff about allegations of sexual harassment.
        Yeah, Funimation cut their ties with him earlier this year as a result of the allegations and he is suing them.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

And it's a bunch of nonsense as well. I've met him. He's not like that at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
            And it's a bunch of nonsense as well. I've met him. He's not like that at all.
            I have been very surprised by people I've met who "aren't like that at all".
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              I have been very surprised by people I've met who "aren't like that at all".
              The person who started the claims has a personal grudge against Vic and Allie tells me Funimation even faked evidence.

Comment

The person who started the claims has a personal grudge against Vic and Allie tells me Funimation even faked evidence.
                yowza
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Did you dress up in a bronie costume?

Comment

No, but I did sit in the Batmobile

Comment

Probably blew a .14 for brony juice.

Comment

Then how did I find this photo of you dressed like your avatar?

Comment