Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planned Parenthood Aborts its Own President

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Planned Parenthood Aborts its Own President

Planned Parenthood Aborts its Own President

Planned Parenthood on Tuesday removed its president after less than a year in the job, seeking new leadership at a time when abortion rights have come under increasing attack from statehouses and Republicans in Washington.

The move came after hours of negotiations Tuesday between the board of directors and the president, Leana Wen, according to two people familiar with the decision.

Dr. Wen had been the first physician to lead the organization in decades. The people familiar with the move said there had been internal strife over her management, and that the group felt it needed a more aggressive political leader to fight the efforts to roll back access to abortions.

The board voted unanimously on Tuesday to appoint Alexis McGill Johnson, the co-founder of the Perception Institute, an anti-bias research group, to temporarily replace Dr. Wen, the people said. Ms. McGill will serve as acting president and chief executive of both Planned Parenthood Federation of America, the nonprofit that provides health care services, and Planned Parenthood Action Fund, its political arm.

Apparently, they want somebody more combative to lead their culture of death.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I was watching a TED or TEDx video of her speaking.

It sounded like she was a concerned doctor. But, as I recall, there were a few things about doctors being upfront about something... when they talk to patients. It didn't sound quite right. But there was a compliment of this doctor by a Christian , within the remarks. Go figure.

Then I looked her name up and saw she was head of Planned Parenthood. Any good impressions about her had disappeared.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewhitney View Post
    I was watching a TED or TEDx video of her speaking.

It sounded like she was a concerned doctor. But, as I recall, there were a few things about doctors being upfront about something... when they talk to patients. It didn't sound quite right. But there was a compliment of this doctor by a Christian , within the remarks. Go figure.

Then I looked her name up and saw she was head of Planned Parenthood. Any good impressions about her had disappeared.
    Yeah, I'm not really sure what her story is, and how she got pulled into (then out of) that position.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    NBC quoted her as saying that Planned Parenthood "ended my employment at a secret meeting." And someone at Buzzfeed is saying while it was in part due to her not being aggressive enough it was also because she refused to "use ‘trans-inclusive language’."
    Last edited by rogue06; 07-17-2019 at 12:33 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    NBC quoted her as saying that Planned Parenthood "ended my employment at a secret meeting." And someone at Buzzfeed is saying while it was in part due to her not being aggressive enough it was also because she refused to "use ‘trans-inclusive language’."
    Yeah, I just heard that last part last night.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Heard she was the third president to be let go in 18 months.

Faith
    invalid value
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I like your use of ‘Aborts’ in the title and agree that this entire subject would benefit from a little more levity.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” ― Anne Lamott
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by firstfloor View Post
    I like your use of ‘Aborts’ in the title and agree that this entire subject would benefit from a little more levity.
    The use of "Aborts" was kinda like a laser pen to the cats.

Faith
    invalid value
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    The use of "Aborts" was kinda like a laser pen to the cats.
    I recently discovered “Opening Arguments” podcast with Andrew Torrez and Thomas Smith, as recommended by AG at MSW. She, by the way, ex-military I think, and one of those super smart people who are just a delight to listen to, is interviewed at OA254 (it’s in my listening queue). Are we blessed, or what?
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” ― Anne Lamott
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Who didn't see this coming?

Surprise — The Future of Planned Parenthood Is Abortion

Planned Parenthood’s board has fired the organization’s president, Leana Wen, after less than a year on the job. According to reports, Wen was dismissed because the board deemed her insufficiently dedicated to expanding Planned Parenthood’s political advocacy, particularly on abortion.

The news comes as a shock for a few reasons. For one thing, Wen was appointed just last fall to replace Cecile Richards, who resigned on good terms after leading the institution for twelve years.

But it’s surprising, too, if Wen’s ouster was due to her reluctance to focus more on politics than on public health, as several reports suggest was the case. In June, after all, Planned Parenthood announced a six-figure ad campaign, “Bans Off My Body,” to oppose recent state laws regulating abortion. Judging from Wen’s Twitter account, she was perfectly comfortable promoting what the group frequently calls “reproductive rights.”

Why, then, was she forced to depart so unceremoniously, and what does her abrupt exit say about the future of Planned Parenthood?

Wen’s dismissal is perhaps best understood in light of the escalating national fight over abortion policy. As blue states have codified the right to abortion on demand, in many cases deeming it a “fundamental right,” red states have passed limitations like heartbeat bills to protect unborn human beings earlier in pregnancy.

Planned Parenthood has long sought to downplay its commitment to abortion, calling itself a health-care organization and spreading the lie that abortion is only 3 percent of its business, even as its clinics perform between one-third and half of all abortions in the U.S. annually. The group’s leadership evidently believes this political moment demands more aggressive advocacy.

And Wen wasn’t up to the task. Considering her record thus far, she was hired for the “M.D.” beside her name, and little else. She came across in interviews like a placid physician repeating rote talking points drilled into her on the drive to the studio. She consistently inserted the phrase “as a doctor” into her messaging to give the organization the gloss of medical legitimacy, and she never sounded like the polished, sure-footed political advocate Richards had.....