Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ocasio-Cortez gets new 2020 challenger

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Nothing to see here. The Democrats could nominate the corpse of Ted Bundy and a Republican isn't winning that district.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Nothing to see here. The Democrats could nominate the corpse of Ted Bundy and a Republican isn't winning that district.
    that's the same sentiment the country had about Trump.

3. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm not under any illusion that the district is in danger of going red -- I'm just interested that an actual honest-to-goodness immigrant who actually loves our country may be calling her to task.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I believe that Pelosi told AOC that a glass of water could win the latter's district as long as it ran as a Democrat (which is equally true of Pelosi's district)

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Maybe, but I think a lot of AOC's constituents are unhappy with her. She killed that Amazon deal that would have brought a lot of money to her district. And Murray is right, what has she actually done for her district? I don't think she has done squat since being elected other than complain about Trump, push her green new deal and fight with Pelosi.
    Don't forget that NYC has a long tradition of electing um, shall we say, eccentric and extravagant characters -- and voting to reelect them.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Good luck to her, but it'll be quite an uphill battle.
    Maybe, maybe not. AOC can't primary a Republican - and even the bluest districts will vote out a rep they really don't like. Honestly, her issues will be in the primary - she may escape redistricting but she's managed to annoy her entire party plus most of her constituents.

It's too early to tell - but I wouldn't be surprised if her seat went red.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    that's the same sentiment the country had about Trump.
    The entire country's borders weren't gerrymandered.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yeah, funny thing - Republicans literally could not get elected dog catcher in Alabama when I was a kid. The party is in trouble and it's having major issues with a disaffected center. If the folks like her enough, they might just vote red in order to send a message - that, and the only thing that stays absolute in politics is politicking.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    Yeah, funny thing - Republicans literally could not get elected dog catcher in Alabama when I was a kid. The party is in trouble and it's having major issues with a disaffected center. If the folks like her enough, they might just vote red in order to send a message - that, and the only thing that stays absolute in politics is politicking.
    But you generally see that sort of change in more homogenous districts first, not in poor parts of NYC.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    My only issue is with saying this candidate actually has any chance to win. Her candidacy is very smart from a tactical perspective. In 2018, there was one district in Illinois that was so reliably blue that the Republicans didn't bother putting anybody up. An open Nazi supporter filed and ended up on the ballot with an R next to his name. The party didn't endorse him at all but it was still an embarrassment that made national news. Imagine how much news it would make if this happened in a race with the most talked about Representative in the country. Making sure you have somebody legitimate on the ballot early is smart.