Announcement

Collapse

Economics 301 Guidelines

This is the area where economic theories and trends are discussed.

Balance your checkbook before participating.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Shop local!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But I do shop local. Amazon is just up the street from me!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      And the amazing thing is that, as far as profit is concerned, one of the really tough expenses to control is labor.
      Smiles don't cost anything.
      Good attitudes don't cost anything.
      A friendly "Welcome to [this store]" as you enter doesn't cost anything.

Another example (I think I've shared before)....

When a nearby town had BOTH a Office Depot and an Office Max (maybe they're the same thing now?) I was trying to figure out which one I'd utilize.

I needed an ink cartridge for a Deskjet 500 (long time ago, eh?)

I walked into Office Depot, told them what I wanted, and the guy kinda grumbled at me, pointing to a side wall of the store, and said "printer cartridges are over there". I went "over there" and couldn't find the list of which cartridges went with which printers (much more simple these days) and finally gave up and left.

I went to Office Max, and a young lady greeted me before I even got all the way in the door, and asked "Can I help you find something?" I told her I was looking for an ink cartridge for a Deskjet 500, and she literally grabbed my hand and said, "come with me...." and took me all the way back to the cartridges, flipped through the little chart, then pointed to the proper section, asking "just one?"

Interestingly enough, that Office Max is now a non-denomination church!
      So, the one you utilized folded?
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        So, the one you utilized folded?
        Pretty sure they merged with the other, but, yes. It's no longer there.

https://www.officedepot.com/

officedepot.jpg

The "surviving" location was a much better location, next to the big Best Buy, and across from Texas A&M Campus.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The "surviving" location was a much better location, next to the big Best Buy, and across from Texas A&M Campus.
          Come to think of it, the 'closed' location (that became the home of a Church) is nearer to the big Mall, which is pretty much a ghost town. That part of town has really gone down, hence, probably the reason a Church was able to buy/lease the large retail space.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I make it a point to regularly eat lunch at small mom-n-pop style restaurants in our town, as opposed to the chain restaurants. Sure, it feels like I'm overpaying a little. But I like the variety and the employees usually seem happy to have business. I really enjoy the ethnic-themed places. We've got a cool little El Salvadoran place with some authentic food, this neat bakery that does Uruguayan food, and a Mexican taco truck. Now that I think about it, I guess I really enjoy any kind of Hispanic cuisine....though we do have an awesome BBQ joint and a really unique burger place.
            "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

I mostly shop online now (I guess I'm gonna have to get one of those carts of my own.. ) but when I used to travel a lot with work, I always found the local restaurants were usually the best.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post
                I make it a point to regularly eat lunch at small mom-n-pop style restaurants in our town, as opposed to the chain restaurants. Sure, it feels like I'm overpaying a little. But I like the variety and the employees usually seem happy to have business. I really enjoy the ethnic-themed places. We've got a cool little El Salvadoran place with some authentic food, this neat bakery that does Uruguayan food, and a Mexican taco truck. Now that I think about it, I guess I really enjoy any kind of Hispanic cuisine....though we do have an awesome BBQ joint and a really unique burger place.
                What I love is when the places treat you like family. Then you WANT to go back. We have a couple of mom-n-pop places where they seem to excel at wanting to call customers by their names.

Comment

What I love is when the places treat you like family. Then you WANT to go back. We have a couple of mom-n-pop places where they seem to excel at wanting to call customers by their names.
                  Oh yeah. I gotta say, the exception to the chain restaurant hate is Chick-Fil-A. I've literally never had a bad experience there. We got one in our county a few years ago. They're awesome, they give me a 50% discount when they notice where I work.

And there's been multiple times when we've been out after hours dealing with a major incident and we sent a supervisor to go buy food (we don't normally do that, but when it turns into a 14 hour ordeal and no one has had dinner....). I'm talking an order for like 60 sandwiches and 50 large fries. We're plenty willing to pay (it's the PD's dime anyways) but they routinely just donate the food. Our chief went by for the first time 2 years ago and ordered a massive amount of food like that. He was surprised when they said to come back in a half hour, and it's on the house. He tried to argue them into letting him pay like half price but they wanted to donate it. We were dealing with a drive-by shooting and a tornado had just gone through town, so they wanted to help

Also, I think you mentioned the secret shopper thing earlier. I used to work for a tourist attraction that was a member of a regional tourist attraction association. Each member organization got secret shopped like 4-5 times a year. They'd send employees from one location in regular clothing and have them pay for admission, buy gifts, buy lunch. They'd note the name of every employee they interacted with and rate them 1-10 in like 10 different categories. Our organization was super serious about our score (the aggregate scores were published within the association annually as a competition). If you scored a perfect 100 on a secret shop, you got like a $50 gift card or something. If you scored less than 70% you got to have a meeting with management to discuss ways to improve. I'm not aware of anyone who ever scored lower than that (but then again our organization was normally ranked #1 or #2 in the association, out of like 20). Anyways, it was a great way to encourage excellent customer service. You never knew who was gonna be a secret shopper.
                  "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Oh yeah. I gotta say, the exception to the chain restaurant hate is Chick-Fil-A. I've literally never had a bad experience there. We got one in our county a few years ago. They're awesome, they give me a 50% discount when they notice where I work.
                    When I'm President, I'll put Chick-Fil-A in charge of training "civil servants" -- especially those at the DMV.

Comment

And there's been multiple times when we've been out after hours dealing with a major incident and we sent a supervisor to go buy food (we don't normally do that, but when it turns into a 14 hour ordeal and no one has had dinner....). I'm talking an order for like 60 sandwiches and 50 large fries...
                      I do a lot of work with Disaster Relief through Texas Baptists, and it's not unusual for Chick-Fil-A so show up with their portable kitchen, like they use at big events. When I've tried to pay for food, the manager will say something like "we brought everything but the cash register", and inform me there's no way for them to accept payment.

Comment

When I'm President, I'll put Chick-Fil-A in charge of training "civil servants" -- especially those at the DMV.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          Justin Trudeau is that you :P

Comment

Originally posted by ReformedApologist View Post
                            Justin Trudeau is that you :P

He never had to work for a living. The best he could manage before he became an MP was Substitute Drama Teacher. He was born with his parents' money.

He is still only a substitute drama queen.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I along with my family own a candy. ice cream and antique shop. Many in the area where I live don't have too many mom and pop stores. And given the area is big on tourism we thought it be a good idea.

Comment

A number of years ago, I considered opening an old fashioned ice cream parlor. The location was perfect - except for the not having enough traffic part and then there was the needing a huge amount of capital to get it in shape part...

But it would have been perfectly beautiful... but sadly, not a good business choice...

If I were in better physical shape, I'd still like to find a good location for an ice cream parlor....
                                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X