Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shop local!!!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I mostly shop online now (I guess I'm gonna have to get one of those carts of my own.. ) but when I used to travel a lot with work, I always found the local restaurants were usually the best.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by myth View Post
    I make it a point to regularly eat lunch at small mom-n-pop style restaurants in our town, as opposed to the chain restaurants. Sure, it feels like I'm overpaying a little. But I like the variety and the employees usually seem happy to have business. I really enjoy the ethnic-themed places. We've got a cool little El Salvadoran place with some authentic food, this neat bakery that does Uruguayan food, and a Mexican taco truck. Now that I think about it, I guess I really enjoy any kind of Hispanic cuisine....though we do have an awesome BBQ joint and a really unique burger place.
    What I love is when the places treat you like family. Then you WANT to go back. We have a couple of mom-n-pop places where they seem to excel at wanting to call customers by their names.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

3. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    What I love is when the places treat you like family. Then you WANT to go back. We have a couple of mom-n-pop places where they seem to excel at wanting to call customers by their names.
    Oh yeah. I gotta say, the exception to the chain restaurant hate is Chick-Fil-A. I've literally never had a bad experience there. We got one in our county a few years ago. They're awesome, they give me a 50% discount when they notice where I work.

And there's been multiple times when we've been out after hours dealing with a major incident and we sent a supervisor to go buy food (we don't normally do that, but when it turns into a 14 hour ordeal and no one has had dinner....). I'm talking an order for like 60 sandwiches and 50 large fries. We're plenty willing to pay (it's the PD's dime anyways) but they routinely just donate the food. Our chief went by for the first time 2 years ago and ordered a massive amount of food like that. He was surprised when they said to come back in a half hour, and it's on the house. He tried to argue them into letting him pay like half price but they wanted to donate it. We were dealing with a drive-by shooting and a tornado had just gone through town, so they wanted to help

Also, I think you mentioned the secret shopper thing earlier. I used to work for a tourist attraction that was a member of a regional tourist attraction association. Each member organization got secret shopped like 4-5 times a year. They'd send employees from one location in regular clothing and have them pay for admission, buy gifts, buy lunch. They'd note the name of every employee they interacted with and rate them 1-10 in like 10 different categories. Our organization was super serious about our score (the aggregate scores were published within the association annually as a competition). If you scored a perfect 100 on a secret shop, you got like a $50 gift card or something. If you scored less than 70% you got to have a meeting with management to discuss ways to improve. I'm not aware of anyone who ever scored lower than that (but then again our organization was normally ranked #1 or #2 in the association, out of like 20). Anyways, it was a great way to encourage excellent customer service. You never knew who was gonna be a secret shopper.
    "We see unmistakably the sort of universe in which we have all along been living, and must come to terms with it. If we had foolish un-Christian hopes about human culture, they are now shattered. If we thought we were building up a heaven on earth, if we looked for something that would turn the present world from a place of pilgrimage into a permanent city satisfying the soul of man, we are disillusioned, and not a moment too soon." - C.S. Lewis, The Weight of Glory

5. Amen Teallaura, Cow Poke, mossrose amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Oh yeah. I gotta say, the exception to the chain restaurant hate is Chick-Fil-A. I've literally never had a bad experience there. We got one in our county a few years ago. They're awesome, they give me a 50% discount when they notice where I work.
    When I'm President, I'll put Chick-Fil-A in charge of training "civil servants" -- especially those at the DMV.

7. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    And there's been multiple times when we've been out after hours dealing with a major incident and we sent a supervisor to go buy food (we don't normally do that, but when it turns into a 14 hour ordeal and no one has had dinner....). I'm talking an order for like 60 sandwiches and 50 large fries...
    I do a lot of work with Disaster Relief through Texas Baptists, and it's not unusual for Chick-Fil-A so show up with their portable kitchen, like they use at big events. When I've tried to pay for food, the manager will say something like "we brought everything but the cash register", and inform me there's no way for them to accept payment.

9. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    When I'm President, I'll put Chick-Fil-A in charge of training "civil servants" -- especially those at the DMV.

11. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Reformed Baptist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Justin Trudeau is that you :P

13. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by ReformedApologist View Post
    Justin Trudeau is that you :P

He never had to work for a living. The best he could manage before he became an MP was Substitute Drama Teacher. He was born with his parents' money.

He is still only a substitute drama queen.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Faith
    Reformed Baptist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I along with my family own a candy. ice cream and antique shop. Many in the area where I live don't have too many mom and pop stores. And given the area is big on tourism we thought it be a good idea.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    A number of years ago, I considered opening an old fashioned ice cream parlor. The location was perfect - except for the not having enough traffic part and then there was the needing a huge amount of capital to get it in shape part...

But it would have been perfectly beautiful... but sadly, not a good business choice...

If I were in better physical shape, I'd still like to find a good location for an ice cream parlor....