Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

How I feel about Trump.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How I feel about Trump.

I dont like him. I dont hate him. I honestly care little for politics. I try to be a positive influence. I wish trump would be more humble. Humility is hard, but it goes a long way.
    sigpic

You can't be humble and become elected president.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      You can't be humble and become elected president.
      Why not? Servant leadership involves humility. The office of the presidency is one of both leadership and public service.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
        Why not? Servant leadership involves humility. The office of the presidency is one of both leadership and public service.
        Why do you think Trump is not humble?
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

The political game one has to play to actually get elected in the US requires plenty of selfish ambition.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
            Why do you think Trump is not humble?
            His bragging mostly. I suppose I think a more subdued method works better. In constantly seeking praise or building himself up as being so great he opens himself up to hubris and embarrassment. It also drowns out his accomplishments .
            sigpic

Comment

His bragging mostly. I suppose I think a more subdued method works better. In constantly seeking praise or building himself up as being so great he opens himself up to hubris and embarrassment. It also drowns out his accomplishments .
              Are theatrics an indication of a lack of humility?

FWIW I do think Trump is arrogant, but from my experience others who believe the same believe it for bad reasons IE: getting taken in by his performance.
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Here's how JPH defines a lack of humility:

Attempts to better himself at the expense of others (note that this is not a matter of public discourse of ideas, as in challenge and riposte, but personal interaction and value)
                Tries to acquire more than others (money, honor, power)
                (http://www.tektonics.org/whatis/whathumility.php)

Comment

There is often a fine line between confidence and arrogance. In our squeamish "You didn't build that" society, people who confidently assert themselves are often mistaken for being arrogant.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Are theatrics an indication of a lack of humility?

FWIW I do think Trump is arrogant, but from my experience others who believe the same believe it for bad reasons IE: getting taken in by his performance.
                    If he is trying to show others some kind of absurdity by acting as a mirror of sorts who will reflect his absurdities?

I do not think the man is dumb. If anything like most all of humanity he has trouble controlling his tounge.
                    sigpic

Comment

If he is trying to show others some kind of absurdity by acting as a mirror of sorts who will reflect his absurdities?
                      No, he is raising morale and providing leadership. Unfortunately, success, boldness, bravery and other virtues are now viewed as vices by large portions of the American public so the behavior is more polarizing than it would be in a healthier society.

Of course, a healthier society wouldn't have to rely on a morally ambiguous (to be generous) leader like Trump in the first place.

Comment

With the press trying to control the narrative, it helps to have a president who is vocal (or does tweets). Otherwise, we would only hear one side of the argument.

Comment

No, he is raising morale and providing leadership. Unfortunately, success, boldness, bravery and other virtues are now viewed as vices by large portions of the American public so the behavior is more polarizing than it would be in a healthier society.

Of course, a healthier society wouldn't have to rely on a morally ambiguous (to be generous) leader like Trump in the first place.
                          Bravery and the like are good things. Honestly, when it comes to America I respect and love it for the ideals it was built on. I understand that as a nation America has done many things that are rather hypocritical and unjust considering the basis of its foundation. Frederick Douglass comes to mind when I think of someone who saw the best in America and fought against injustice brilliantly.

Trump to me is a rather boorish person. He comes off as egotistical. I must admit however he is someone with experience. I do not really know the man.
                          sigpic

Comment

I find all the vitriol unproductive
                            sigpic

Comment

I, like others on this forum, am not a fan of how he speaks. But I'm even less of a fan of not supporting him, or supporting another candidate because of how they do speak. That just doesn't matter in the end. I believe if Trump acts in a way unbecoming of the presidency he should be criticized. Beyond that I'd rather the press focused more on policies and actual decisions.

Comment