Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

California's Mistreatment and Neglect of the Homeless Causing Public Health Crisis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    You just have to have a church picnic and let anyone who wants to, join in!
    Pretty much, yeah.

When we do our Car Clinic, our insurance company makes us have them sign a waiver that we are not professional mechanics, blah blah blah..... AND, we had to buy a special rider that costs about $80 a year for that liability.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Pretty much, yeah.

When we do our Car Clinic, our insurance company makes us have them sign a waiver that we are not professional mechanics, blah blah blah..... AND, we had to buy a special rider that costs about $80 a year for that liability.
      I remember the incident you were talking about with the food. These guys live by eating rotten food out of dumpsters but the city is worried that Baptists are trying to give them food poisoning?

how would the city be liable anyway? At worst, the Church could be sued if someone said they got sick. Not the city. Maybe because it was a city park? Just do it on private land then.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        I remember the incident you were talking about with the food. These guys live by eating rotten food out of dumpsters but the city is worried that Baptists are trying to give them food poisoning?

how would the city be liable anyway? At worst, the Church could be sued if someone said they got sick. Not the city. Maybe because it was a city park? Just do it on private land then.
        I'd have to double check, but I'm pretty sure it was an abandoned lot, so not on city property at all.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38447[/ATTACH]
          No, no. They're DEMOCRATS!
          When I Survey....

Comment

R.o.u.s.

Comment

So, what kind of home would someone who can't stand being enclosed accept? Something like a pavilion that's open on all sides or maybe a house that can be opened that way (yep, they exist)?

Home (as in place to live) doesn't have to be a structure, I don't suppose, but it does need to provide some elements like security and stability (and place to hygienically go potty). Maybe a structure for those things and something else for living/sleeping?

Obviously, I don't know - I mean, nothing is gonna work that doesn't take that person's particular needs/desires into consideration. And while providing stability is important, they also need a livelihood - sticking someone in an old house in the country where they have no idea how to make a living is not a solution at all.

And yeah, this is only one portion of the homeless - but 'one-size-fits-all' really doesn't.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                So, what kind of home would someone who can't stand being enclosed accept? Something like a pavilion that's open on all sides or maybe a house that can be opened that way (yep, they exist)?

Home (as in place to live) doesn't have to be a structure, I don't suppose, but it does need to provide some elements like security and stability (and place to hygienically go potty). Maybe a structure for those things and something else for living/sleeping?

Obviously, I don't know - I mean, nothing is gonna work that doesn't take that person's particular needs/desires into consideration. And while providing stability is important, they also need a livelihood - sticking someone in an old house in the country where they have no idea how to make a living is not a solution at all.

And yeah, this is only one portion of the homeless - but 'one-size-fits-all' really doesn't.
                Pretty much anything that can block wind and rain. Large appliance boxes (refrigerators, freezers, stoves) are common in Houston, and one of the vets explained "it blocks the wind, the bridge blocks the rain, and I can always cut my way out of it in an emergency".

But, yeah, no "one-size-fits-all" solution. We have one large room that's set up with "berths" like on a ship or railroad car that some of the guys (I rarely deal with women) seem to like because it's a one-way-in/one-way-out 'cubby hole' where they can keep an eye on that one approach.

As you can see, trust is a major issue.

Comment

Pretty much anything that can block wind and rain. Large appliance boxes (refrigerators, freezers, stoves) are common in Houston, and one of the vets explained "it blocks the wind, the bridge blocks the rain, and I can always cut my way out of it in an emergency".

But, yeah, no "one-size-fits-all" solution. We have one large room that's set up with "berths" like on a ship or railroad car that some of the guys (I rarely deal with women) seem to like because it's a one-way-in/one-way-out 'cubby hole' where they can keep an eye on that one approach.

As you can see, trust is a major issue.

Yeah, I knew that just from my experience. Trust was a major issue for me - and I didn't face a fraction of what those guys dealt with - and deal with.

I wonder about yurts and tepees. The latter is easier to cut out of but not everyone will need that comfort. Tiny houses (not the overbuilt expensive ones) can be tailored to 'one way in/out' easily enough - and built to stay or to be mobile.

Yeah, I'm wondering out loud - like I said, wanna start to understand the picture so I have a better chance of helping find pieces that fit.
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment