Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

California's Mistreatment and Neglect of the Homeless Causing Public Health Crisis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    That makes intuitive sense. Some people can't handle the hoops you have to jump through to obtain housing. Also, based on my personal experience with homeless people, I believe there are some people (not the majority by any means) who legitimately prefer being homeless.
    That has been my experience, and I do this a LOT.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      That has been my experience, and I do this a LOT.
      Okay, why? What is it that makes them prefer homelessness?
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
        I really don't know, but I can think of one guy in particular who said he always hears voices when he's in buildings, and never when he's "on the street".
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

One of my godsons was voluntarily homeless for a couple years. He couldn't stand living with his parents after high school, so he bummed around the country for a while. He's back in housing now, but when I met him he was living in his van.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I really don't know, but I can think of one guy in particular who said he always hears voices when he's in buildings, and never when he's "on the street".
            Thinking about this some more, I'm thinking that a lot of this has to do with the paranoia that comes with drug use (past or present). There's the fear of being trapped in a building, as opposed to a "clear field of view" when out in the open, or sleeping with your back to a building or something like that.

JD is the chief operations officer for our local mission efforts - I'll ask him, cause now I'm curious.

Comment

Thinking about this some more, I'm thinking that a lot of this has to do with the paranoia that comes with drug use (past or present). There's the fear of being trapped in a building, as opposed to a "clear field of view" when out in the open, or sleeping with your back to a building or something like that.

JD is the chief operations officer for our local mission efforts - I'll ask him, cause now I'm curious.
              Thanks!

Homelessness is a really important issue to me - but I don't wanna start suggesting stuff that won't work. I want to understand the various dynamics better so maybe, somehow, I can help out someway.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Thanks!

Homelessness is a really important issue to me - but I don't wanna start suggesting stuff that won't work. I want to understand the various dynamics better so maybe, somehow, I can help out someway.

To me, the biggest and most important key has been "talk less, listen more". Like the guy who told me he only "hears voices" when he's in buildings - I never would have seen that coming.

There is a local business that unofficially allows him to sleep on their loading dock (which happened to have a full view of the approach to their complex) in exchange for...
                A) they keep a cooler on the loading dock with cold soft drinks and sandwiches
                2) he would press a panic button specially put there for him if he saw anything suspicious

Due to liability issues, this all has to be "we didn't know he was there".

There are a number of such 'arrangements' of which I am aware around here.

Comment

Is that an issue with homeless vets as well? I mean, related to PTSD - not wanting to be hemmed in? I have a friend who served but not in combat, yet he has to have his back to a wall or corner in order to be comfortable in a room.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

There are a number of such 'arrangements' of which I am aware around here.
                    Here's the thing - and you've made me think of this more and more.....

the LEGAL aspect prevents us from doing a LOT of good.

Recently, there was a Church group in Houston that decided to show up at a place where "the less fortunate" tended to gather and serve free hot dogs, chips and soft drinks. The city of Houston shut them down because they didn't have a food service license! There was no way to get such a proper license because of the culinary requirements - like they'd have to have a "commercial kitchen" that passed inspection.

The idea was to "serve them like family" - not "we're a church here to serve you poor homeless derelicts". There were games for the kids, interaction with other church members...

I bet they wouldn't have let Jesus serve bread and fish without a proper license.

There are a number of ways we are actually helping people knowing full well they are violating some law or code or licensing requirement, or concern over "getting sued".

FORTUNATELY, we live in a community where many of us in leadership can "conspire" to "look the other way". Don't know how much longer than can continue.

Comment

Is that an issue with homeless vets as well? I mean, related to PTSD - not wanting to be hemmed in? I have a friend who served but not in combat, yet he has to have his back to a wall or corner in order to be comfortable in a room.
                      From my police days, to THIS DAY, my wife knows that, when we go in a restaurant, I will want to sit at a table with my back to the wall, and full view toward the main entrance. Not so much a "fixation" as a preference - I CAN sit otherwise, but not as comfortably.

So, I'm aware that those who have PTSD is not just "something weird" - but something they actually feel. And, yes, they guy I mentioned was, in fact, former military (Iraqi Freedom) with PTSD.

Comment

They're not just ordinary rats. They're ...

(somebody?)
                        When I Survey....

Comment

I honestly don't think there is a solution to the problem.

Here in LA, there are a myriad number of programs to help the homeless -- temporary shelters, job programs, free food and meals 24/7 (and that's a huge one), rehab programs, free and inexpensive housing, etc., yet LA still has the biggest homeless problem in the nation.

Ironically, while liberals like to talk a good game, most of the programs here are Christian funded and/or run, particularly the main missions, with the exception of the Midnight Mission (which started off Christian but has since went sort of neutral). The fact California wants to direct their efforts towards illegal aliens is absolutely asinine, but that's California. Thing is, I highly (and I mean HIGHLY) doubt anything government could do to change anything, especially being that it's... well government.

Most of the homeless have mental problems or drug addiction, or a combo of both and actually prefer being homeless, or else just can't function enough to hold down a permanent residence, much less a job. Long story short, I don't think there is a solution. However, persuading more illegal migration into the state with free benefits will DEFINITELY make it worse, but that's liberal thinking for you.

In fact, probably the only real solution would have to be drastic one, like cut off all the free benefits, especially the free food supply, to make homelessness less of an incentive, but of course that will never happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
                            They're not just ordinary rats. They're ...

(somebody?)
                            rodentz.jpg

Comment

Here's the thing - and you've made me think of this more and more.....

the LEGAL aspect prevents us from doing a LOT of good.

Recently, there was a Church group in Houston that decided to show up at a place where "the less fortunate" tended to gather and serve free hot dogs, chips and soft drinks. The city of Houston shut them down because they didn't have a food service license! There was no way to get such a proper license because of the culinary requirements - like they'd have to have a "commercial kitchen" that passed inspection.

The idea was to "serve them like family" - not "we're a church here to serve you poor homeless derelicts". There were games for the kids, interaction with other church members...

I bet they wouldn't have let Jesus serve bread and fish without a proper license.

There are a number of ways we are actually helping people knowing full well they are violating some law or code or licensing requirement, or concern over "getting sued".

FORTUNATELY, we live in a community where many of us in leadership can "conspire" to "look the other way". Don't know how much longer than can continue.
                              You just have to have a church picnic and let anyone who wants to, join in!

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                                I honestly don't think there is a solution to the problem.

Here in LA, there are a myriad number of programs to help the homeless -- temporary shelters, job programs, free food and meals 24/7 (and that's a huge one), rehab programs, free and inexpensive housing, etc., yet LA still has the biggest homeless problem in the nation.

Ironically, while liberals like to talk a good game, most of the programs here are Christian funded and/or run, particularly the main missions, with the exception of the Midnight Mission (which started off Christian but has since went sort of neutral). The fact California wants to direct their efforts towards illegal aliens is absolutely asinine, but that's California. Thing is, I highly (and I mean HIGHLY) doubt anything government could do to change anything, especially being that it's... well government.

Most of the homeless have mental problems or drug addiction, or a combo of both and actually prefer being homeless, or else just can't function enough to hold down a permanent residence, much less a job. Long story short, I don't think there is a solution. However, persuading more illegal migration into the state with free benefits will DEFINITELY make it worse, but that's liberal thinking for you.

In fact, probably the only real solution would have to be drastic one, like cut off all the free benefits, especially the free food supply, to make homelessness less of an incentive, but of course that will never happen.
                                For some there is no helping because they don't care.

A friend of mine has a brother who is an alcoholic. He basically drank himself out of a home and a family. He doesn't work because he doesn't want to pay back-child support. He ended up living on the streets and just didn't care. His sister, my friend, convinced him to move in with her. So he did. He just works odd jobs enough to have money for cigarettes and booze and just sits around her apartment all day. Doesn't help with the rent, nothing. And she is too nice to kick him back out. He is literally a bum. Nice enough guy but just doesn't care about anything except drinking. The only reason he hasn't drunk himself to death is that he never has enough money to have much on hand at any one time. It's really sad.

Comment