Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 105

Thread: Democrats' Far-Left Lean Risks More Than the Presidency

  1. #41
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,798
    Amen (Given)
    114
    Amen (Received)
    412
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    Yep, except with FDR he was refering to the Big Banks and Corporations, with Trump it's about immigrants and people of color.
    Big Banks against Trump, Big Social Media, Big Mainstream Media... so many woke corporations hate guts of Trump.
    Trump is basically "Bruce Wayne pretending to be a foppish retarded billionaire" tier genius, in case nerds need a simpler metaphor.

  2. #42
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    53,353
    Amen (Given)
    11582
    Amen (Received)
    24774
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
    Then why do they spend so much money lobbying for repeal of regulations?
    They'd lobby for repeal of regulations hampering their own operations.

    The big auto makers fought against seat belts, then they fought against airbags, emission standards, etc. Big tobacco fought against warning labels on tobacco products. What you're saying may be selectively true in isolated cases to suppress competition, but the evidence points against it being true across the board.
    I think lobbying should be way more transparent --- who the lobby is, who he/she lobbied, and for what purpose. But the fox is guarding the hen house.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

  3. #43
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,910
    Amen (Given)
    1602
    Amen (Received)
    1438
    Quote Originally Posted by demi-conservative View Post
    Obviously they want make money, so sometimes regulations help them, sometimes hurt. Not simple naive situation of 'all regulations hurt them or else not'.
    Rethinking your position I see, demi. Too late!

  4. #44
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,910
    Amen (Given)
    1602
    Amen (Received)
    1438
    Quote Originally Posted by demi-conservative View Post
    Big Banks against Trump, Big Social Media, Big Mainstream Media... so many woke corporations hate guts of Trump.
    Banks and Corporations love Trump and the main stream media simply calls it as they see it, That is why the conservatives decided to build a propaganda machine to demean the media as fake news. Trump is certainly jumping on that bandwagon. "Just remember, what you see isn't really what's happening." Listen to me, don't listen to what the lying media says. Republicans have fallen for it too, hook, line, and sinker.

    Besides, that wasn't the point, the point was that the quote from FDR was directed at Corporations and Big Banks, Trumps remarks of defiance would be directed at immigrant and people of color. So, Trump might sound like FDR, but their targets are far different.

  5. #45
    tWebber Darth Ovious's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Faith
    Christian Theist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,323
    Amen (Given)
    1127
    Amen (Received)
    541
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    But you guys believe anything left of Reagan to be socialism. So why should anyone take it seriously when US Conservatives cry wolf that this or that leftist person is socialist?
    Even the New York Times admit that the Democrats are the ones moving left while the Republicans and not moving a lot. They just say that it is closer to the median in Europe. However the following graphic from the article shows them being beside the British Labour Party. I don't think that is a good place to be.

    Democrats move left.JPG

    It's from this article. Obviously they paint it as a good thing but I'm just pointing out that the Democrats have moved a lot too the left in recent years.

    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...far-right.html
    “I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.” - C.S. Lewis

  6. #46
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    48,973
    Amen (Given)
    4870
    Amen (Received)
    21707
    Quote Originally Posted by demi-conservative View Post


    Demi probably not back back too. We'll see!
    What are you, Darth Executor's puppy dog?

  7. #47
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    418
    Amen (Given)
    8
    Amen (Received)
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by demi-conservative View Post
    Obviously they want make money, so sometimes regulations help them, sometimes hurt. Not simple naive situation of 'all regulations hurt them or else not'.
    I agree. But if you look at the actual record of big oil, big coal, the big auto makers and tobacco, etc, the big combines have acted pretty much in concert (read "collusion") to lobby against regulation.

  8. #48
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    53,353
    Amen (Given)
    11582
    Amen (Received)
    24774
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
    I agree. But if you look at the actual record of big oil, big coal, the big auto makers and tobacco, etc, the big combines have acted pretty much in concert (read "collusion") to lobby against regulation.
    Collusion? Definition: secret or illegal cooperation or conspiracy, especially in order to cheat or deceive others.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

  9. #49
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    418
    Amen (Given)
    8
    Amen (Received)
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Ovious View Post
    Even the New York Times admit that the Democrats are the ones moving left while the Republicans and not moving a lot. They just say that it is closer to the median in Europe. However the following graphic from the article shows them being beside the British Labour Party. I don't think that is a good place to be.

    Democrats move left.JPG

    It's from this article. Obviously they paint it as a good thing but I'm just pointing out that the Democrats have moved a lot too the left in recent years.

    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...far-right.html
    Sanders is a standard New deal Democrat. Nixon could not even be a Republican now -- he initiated the EPA and other federal agencies(which most Republicans now want to abolish) and seriously considered a national minimum income. So in the long-term, the Rebublicans have moved far further to the right than the dems have moved to the left.

  10. #50
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    418
    Amen (Given)
    8
    Amen (Received)
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Collusion? Definition: secret or illegal cooperation or conspiracy, especially in order to cheat or deceive others.
    Ye, I would say that these were cases of collusion according to that definition. Note the word "or".

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •