Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

“Top Gun 2” Is the Tom Cruise Midlife Crisis Movie We Deserve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• “Top Gun 2” Is the Tom Cruise Midlife Crisis Movie We Deserve

“Top Gun 2” Is the Tom Cruise Midlife Crisis Movie We Deserve

Tell me it isn't SO!!!!

(And they won't even need to use that FaceApp to make him look old)

When you think of leads in incredible film runs, your mind might go to Al Pacino from Panic in Needle Park in 1971 all the way to 1999’s Any Given Sunday, with the Godfather films (not counting the third), Dog Day Afternoon, Scarface and more hits than misses in between. Or Harrison Ford in the late-’70s when he was Han Solo and Indiana Jones, and still managed to find time to shape our idea of a dystopian future with Blade Runner. Or Humphrey Bogart’s late-’40s noir run, Robert De Niro’s three-decade run with Martin Scorsese, Denzel Washington from the ’90s well into the aughts, Meryl Streep’s entire career… and so on.

The point is, there are misses and gaps in all of those resumes. Nobody is perfect. For every Serpico or Scent of a Woman you get a Dick Tracy. Films that might not make sense in the middle of incredible runs or just downright suck. (The 1990 live-action version of the famous comic detective that Pacino played in doesn’t suck, it’s just weird.)

For well over a decade, from the early ’80s into the new millennium, Tom Cruise had one of those runs. Start with 1983’s Risky Business, work your way through The Color of Money and Rain Man, and end up at 1999’s Magnolia, and you get one of the more impressive little runs in movie history. He might not have a Goodfellas or Training Day in there, but there’s at least one Cruise film in that span that resonates with just about everybody. The biggest difference between Cruise and those other people is that, for the most part, they all stage late-career comebacks. (De Niro is TBD. Let’s see how he is in The Irishman.) Cruise pretty much did it all in the ’80s and ’90s, and has sort of been on auto-pilot since......

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I think he is a robot.

Comment

Maybe this will bring Sterling Archer out of his years-long coma.

Danger Zone!
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Somehow I missed the original Top Gun when it was out. In the Air Force I got called Maverick or Iceman a bit cause I wore aviators on duty all the time. A few years ago I finally sat down and watched it. Really wanted to see why it's been so hyped over the years, and (unpopular view)...I wasn't a fan. Here's a short review I wrote on it to some of my friends on Facebook,

The acting is pretty decent, and it's neat to see an all star cast right before they blew up. Tom Cruise, Val Kilmer, Anthony Edwards, Tim Robbins, and Meg Ryan all became household names after this film. Others like Tom Skerritt, Michael Ironside, and James Tolkan were highly recognizable regulars in this period. Tom Cruise acts more like a real human being in this film than I've seen him in a long long time. Its just the simple mannerisms and levity that makes him seem less like the brainwashed robot he seems in his later films (and I'm a fan of his later films). Even his distracting unibrow makes him seem a bit more human. I was also really impressed by the camera shots of the flight crews, and how they filmed the fighters. That could not have been easy to do in the mid-80s. The DTS-HD audio track on the bluray is unbelievable with a decent 5.1/7.1 speaker setup. Jets sound like they're flying right over your head, and the musical score is extremely lush, filling all the speakers.

The bad. Pretty much everything else for me. The ridiculous playing-hard-to-get then lightning-fast romance. The impromptu public singing anytime anyone is in a bar. The shirtless hunk-guy scenes. The not-so-clever one-liners that sound like they came from a bunch of boneheaded frat boys (actually that part rings true based on my military experience). The boring inspirational speeches. Also, why is everyone always so sweaty all the time? Didn't they have central air in the 80s?

The film really does feel like what it is...a Tony Scott directed, Jerry Bruckheimer produced big box office schlockfest. It reminded me a lot of other melodramatic romantic action films like Titanic, and especially that other cringe-inducing Bruckheimer film, Pearl Harbor. I think its the military theme, and Bruckheimer's playing up that sort of all-American cheesiness. I liked Tony Scott's films well enough (R.I.P.), but he was no Ridley. Then again, he was mercifully no Michael Bay either.

At any rate, the trailer for this sequel looks a lot better. Hoping it is.

Comment

I'll wait til it comes out on VHS.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
            Kinda wondering what Cruise will be flying. In the trailer, at the end, he's wearing a fully pressurized suit like a U-2 pilot would wear. There's nothing in the Navy's inventory that would require such a suit.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Kinda wondering what Cruise will be flying. In the trailer, at the end, he's wearing a fully pressurized suit like a U-2 pilot would wear. There's nothing in the Navy's inventory that would require such a suit.
              Maybe they are sending him up in a test craft that launches into space? Meh....
              A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
              George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Somehow I missed the original Top Gun when it was out. In the Air Force I got called Maverick or Iceman a bit cause I wore aviators on duty all the time. A few years ago I finally sat down and watched it. Really wanted to see why it's been so hyped over the years, and (unpopular view)...I wasn't a fan. Here's a short review I wrote on it to some of my friends on Facebook,

The acting is pretty decent, and it's neat to see an all star cast right before they blew up. Tom Cruise, Val Kilmer, Anthony Edwards, Tim Robbins, and Meg Ryan all became household names after this film. Others like Tom Skerritt, Michael Ironside, and James Tolkan were highly recognizable regulars in this period. Tom Cruise acts more like a real human being in this film than I've seen him in a long long time. Its just the simple mannerisms and levity that makes him seem less like the brainwashed robot he seems in his later films (and I'm a fan of his later films). Even his distracting unibrow makes him seem a bit more human. I was also really impressed by the camera shots of the flight crews, and how they filmed the fighters. That could not have been easy to do in the mid-80s. The DTS-HD audio track on the bluray is unbelievable with a decent 5.1/7.1 speaker setup. Jets sound like they're flying right over your head, and the musical score is extremely lush, filling all the speakers.

The bad. Pretty much everything else for me. The ridiculous playing-hard-to-get then lightning-fast romance. The impromptu public singing anytime anyone is in a bar. The shirtless hunk-guy scenes. The not-so-clever one-liners that sound like they came from a bunch of boneheaded frat boys (actually that part rings true based on my military experience). The boring inspirational speeches. Also, why is everyone always so sweaty all the time? Didn't they have central air in the 80s?

The film really does feel like what it is...a Tony Scott directed, Jerry Bruckheimer produced big box office schlockfest. It reminded me a lot of other melodramatic romantic action films like Titanic, and especially that other cringe-inducing Bruckheimer film, Pearl Harbor. I think its the military theme, and Bruckheimer's playing up that sort of all-American cheesiness. I liked Tony Scott's films well enough (R.I.P.), but he was no Ridley. Then again, he was mercifully no Michael Bay either.

You have to realize that all of the tropes weren't really that cliche back when the film first came out. A lot of films copied from this one and made them tropes. It looks pretty corny to me today too, but I thought it was great when it first came out.

Comment

That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    You have to realize that all of the tropes weren't really that cliche back when the film first came out. A lot of films copied from this one and made them tropes. It looks pretty corny to me today too, but I thought it was great when it first came out.
                    Yeah, that might be it. I don't know. I mean, I watched a lot of movies in the 80s, and none of those others felt as corny. Maybe I would have given it a pass back then, but I know 10 years later when movies like Bad Boys, and The Rock came out, I thought they were completely cheeseball and over the top stupid. Granted, I really liked Beverly Hills Cops I and II when they came out, and they're also Bruckheimer productions, so...eh, who knows. I haven't revisited them since the 80s, and maybe they don't stand up to the test of time as well as I remember though.

Comment

Yeah, that might be it. I don't know. I mean, I watched a lot of movies in the 80s, and none of those others felt as corny. Maybe I would have given it a pass back then, but I know 10 years later when movies like Bad Boys, and The Rock came out, I thought they were completely cheeseball and over the top stupid. Granted, I really liked Beverly Hills Cops I and II when they came out, and they're also Bruckheimer productions, so...eh, who knows. I haven't revisited them since the 80s, and maybe they don't stand up to the test of time as well as I remember though.
                      Well none of them including Top Gun were meant to be intellectual films, just feel-good flicks. And Top Gun was a chick flick disguised as an action flick.

Comment

It's like watching a Marx Brothers movie and seeing all these jokes that were old back when you were a kid. You should understand that these old jokes were new when the movie introduced them.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Well none of them including Top Gun were meant to be intellectual films, just feel-good flicks. And Top Gun was a chick flick disguised as an action flick.
                          Yeah, I realize that. The idea that popcorn movies get a pass for being stupid is unfortunately the counter-argument I often hear from people who defend films like Independence Day and Transformers, but there are plenty of great pop-corn movies that are also smart. It's not a prerequisite of mindless popcorn movies to be dumb, so for instance Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark/Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade, 3 of 4 Mad Max movies, Die Hard, Romancing the Stone, Lethal Weapon, Alien/s, Terminator, etc.. You've got a point about it being a chick flick disguised as an action flick though.

I recently watched The Right Stuff for the first time as well, and while I liked it a whole lot better than Top Gun, and loved how many major future stars were in it, it also had a bit of that schmaltzy dialogue and over the top/over produced sheen to it. So, yeah, you may have a point about the decade, and I'm just looking back on the films I like with Rose tinted glasses.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            It's like watching a Marx Brothers movie and seeing all these jokes that were old back when you were a kid. You should understand that these old jokes were new when the movie introduced them.
                            Mossy invented the "why did the chicken cross the road" joke. But it started out as "why did the Archaeopteryx cross the clearing?"

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              As a major movie buff, I'd like to think I'm past that. I routinely attempt to look at films from the perspective of the audience of the period. Sometimes that easier said than not. I LOVE the Marx Brothers, and think their comedy is timeless. The Three Stooges is a whole lot harder for me to relate to. Perhaps it's because I lived through the 70s and 80s that it's harder for me to give 80s films a pass.

Off topic, but I'm currently 215 films away from completing the 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die. Top Gun and The Right Stuff were on that list, which is why I finally caught up with them.

Comment