Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

“Top Gun 2” Is the Tom Cruise Midlife Crisis Movie We Deserve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    Yeah, I realize that. The idea that popcorn movies get a pass for being stupid is unfortunately the counter-argument I often hear from people who defend films like Independence Day and Transformers, but there are plenty of great pop-corn movies that are also smart. It's not a prerequisite of mindless popcorn movies to be dumb, so for instance Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark/Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade, 3 of 4 Mad Max movies, Die Hard, Romancing the Stone, Lethal Weapon, Alien/s, Terminator, etc.. You've got a point about it being a chick flick disguised as an action flick though.

I recently watched The Right Stuff for the first time as well, and while I liked it a whole lot better than Top Gun, and loved how many major future stars were in it, it also had a bit of that schmaltzy dialogue and over the top/over produced sheen to it. So, yeah, you may have a point about the decade, and I'm just looking back on the films I like with Rose tinted glasses.
    Yeah the 80s and 90s were kind of the dawn of the "popcorn" movies genre. Some were actually pretty good. I still like the Matrix films, and Blade Runner is one of my favorite movies of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
      As a major movie buff, I'd like to think I'm past that. I routinely attempt to look at films from the perspective of the audience of the period. Sometimes that easier said than not. I LOVE the Marx Brothers, and think their comedy is timeless. The Three Stooges is a whole lot harder for me to relate to. Perhaps it's because I lived through the 70s and 80s that it's harder for me to give 80s films a pass.

Off topic, but I'm currently 215 films away from completing the 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die. Top Gun and The Right Stuff were on that list, which is why I finally caught up with them.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Yeah the 80s and 90s were kind of the dawn of the "popcorn" movies genre. Some were actually pretty good. I still like the Matrix films, and Blade Runner is one of my favorite movies of all time.
        I'd say the official start was Jaws and then the Star Wars films, but yeah, the 80s is really when it exploded.

Comment

This is the only Tom Cruise movie I'm interested in:

cruise crews.jpg
          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

The shameful thing about this movie is that the F-14 is mostly CGI and she's flown by the bad guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Sherman View Post
              The shameful thing about this movie is that the F-14 is mostly CGI and she's flown by the bad guy.
              Welcome to Tweb!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment