Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Ethernet to Wifi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethernet to Wifi?

I have an older computer that I want to use and want to connect to the Internet. The house is on wifi but the computer doesn't have the ability to connect. What do I need to get to make this work?
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Look for a USB WiFi adapter. I use one on my old laptop since the built in WiFi no longer works.
    Alternatively, you could get an Ethernet cable long enough to reach from the router to the computer, if possible. Unless it's a laptop you need to be able to move around, of course.
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Get this:

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Mini-...IKX0DER&sr=8-6

Comment

What Sparko said. Every once in a while, he's not entirely 100% grossly incorrect.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
          Look for a USB WiFi adapter. I use one on my old laptop since the built in WiFi no longer works.
          Alternatively, you could get an Ethernet cable long enough to reach from the router to the computer, if possible. Unless it's a laptop you need to be able to move around, of course.
          This is a much better answer than Sparko's.

(just because)
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Thanks, Everyone!
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Years ago, when we had no wireless functionality, I was able to connect from my room to the modem/router in the other room via ethernet by using a pair of devices -- each of which would plug into an electrical outlet, and then one running to my compy and the other to the modem/router. It worked great during its time. (We still use a pair with our Blu-Ray player for the occasional firmware update.)

It's too bad I can't remember what it was called, or else I'd find a link to it. But it's still another option for you, and doesn't require any device drivers like a wireless adapter.

Edit: Remembered the name, and found a link.
              https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Power...dp/B01929ESG6/
              Last edited by The Melody Maker; 07-23-2019, 05:01 PM.
              ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
                Years ago, when we had no wireless functionality, I was able to connect from my room to the modem/router in the other room via ethernet by using a pair of devices -- each of which would plug into an electrical outlet, and then one running to my compy and the other to the modem/router. It worked great during its time. (We still use a pair with our Blu-Ray player for the occasional firmware update.)

It's too bad I can't remember what it was called, or else I'd find a link to it. But it's still another option for you, and doesn't require any device drivers like a wireless adapter.

I had already ordered the thing Sparky recommended...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Can't you just hook up the computer to the modem via Ethernet cable? While some newer computers might not have an Ethernet port, any that's old enough to not support WiFi should still have one. Or does the computer have to be put into a room away from the modem?

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                    Can't you just hook up the computer to the modem via Ethernet cable? While some newer computers might not have an Ethernet port, any that's old enough to not support WiFi should still have one. Or does the computer have to be put into a room away from the modem?
                    She might not have the computer near the router and running ethernet cable all over the house isn't easy.

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post

I have internet in my shop because of that "ethernet over power" arrangement - and it's purdy durn snappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        I have internet in my shop because of that "ethernet over power" arrangement - and it's purdy durn snappy.
                        Yeah I have one of those TP-Link power jobbies in my basement. It is a wifi extender and has an ethernet port on it too.

But Teal is better off with the wifi USB adapter because she apparently already has wifi in the area, and just needs to be able to connect her PC to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          Yeah I have one of those TP-Link power jobbies in my basement. It is a wifi extender and has an ethernet port on it too.

But Teal is better off with the wifi USB adapter because she apparently already has wifi in the area, and just needs to be able to connect her PC to it.
                          Agreed - much simpler to set up, too. You'd need a cable from the router to the transmitter (of the ethernet over power) device, then another cable from the receiver to the computer, etc...

The USB thing is pretty much plug-n-play and BOOM, internet!

(Mine's not a wifi extender, it's simply ethernet over power)

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                            No, I can't do that.
                            It would involve a ladder - assuming there were a port which I'm pretty sure there isn't (cable company's router, not mine) - and I can barely get up and down stairs. So, no, cable isn't an option and even if it were, I don't want any new wires hanging from the ceiling.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              Agreed - much simpler to set up, too. You'd need a cable from the router to the transmitter (of the ethernet over power) device, then another cable from the receiver to the computer, etc...

The USB thing is pretty much plug-n-play and BOOM, internet!

(Mine's not a wifi extender, it's simply ethernet over power)
                              I think mine is both receiver and transmitter. Like a repeater. You just put it within range of your regular wifi and it extends the range in places that can't get the signal or its too weak.

I think this is what I have:

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Exten...gateway&sr=8-3

Comment