Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Does Christianity Violate Logic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    And we can't know your credentials. It's the internet. Anyone can lie about credentials.
    He legitimately does have a PhD. I will personally attest to that much.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      He legitimately does have a PhD. I will personally attest to that much.
      But you're some guy on the internetzweb - who validates YOU!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And we can't know your credentials. It's the internet. Anyone can lie about credentials.
        I'd advise you to let Nick handle this, cbw. This one's not a chew toy.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          I'd advise you to let Nick handle this, cbw. This one's not a chew toy.
          I'll be nice. Can I still pray for him?
          If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

I'll be nice. Can I still pray for him?
            Absolutely.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
              Do you violate logic with Christianity?
              Yes.

1. God is omniscient, knowing everything.

2. Jesus does not know the day or the hour (Matthew 24:36).

3. Jesus is God.

You can have any two of the three without a logical contradiction. All three together give you a logical contradiction: God both knows everything and does not know everything.

Comment

I said nothing about a privileged position.
                Why do I keep getting the feeling only one of us is reading this thread.
                I do consider those three laws as they are all aspects of how being behaves.

That was in response to the correction that all of them are essentially arbitrary given with specific theoretical and practical counter-examples supported by links to the original literature and popular treatments from Stanford's philosophy department.

I'm losing faith in you here, Nick.

You're not holding up your end.

I simply said there are no laws of logic that Christianity violates. It doesn't violate the Law of Identity, Excluded Middle, or Non-Contradiction.
                Now there's an awesome game if you want to play:
                Construct an axiom system that excludes the existence of any divine being other than mine.

Dayum.

On the mountaintop, looking out at fame, fortune, and that night out with J Lo for the bucket list. Oh stop already, I'm thinking about me now, not you. Prizes go to players only. This could totally work. Aim at the most prosperous faith. Tell them you can prove the existence of their god.

Tell them your axioms are laws.

Right now I would say most any Thomist philosopher. Garrigou-Lagrange, Feser, Stump, Gilson, Wippel, etc.
                Let's restrict the list to people who know logics, k, and people who wouldn't laugh at your idea that arbitrary axioms are actually laws, kk?

If you're talking about an infinite in math, then that is one of quantity.
                "If."

It's considerably more than just quantity, Nick.

That's one reason also Aquinas would reject a Kalam argument as given by Craig, at least with regard to the philosophy, since there are some versions of infinite regresses he thought were possible.
                Good for 'Quinas! Score one for a tiny glimmer of insight into a process that would one day be foundational to mathematics.

Now we know you haven't gotten around to looking at calculus yet.

That's why those fuzzy logic industry rounds ran over.

Ready the ranging fire.

If the 21st century is too big a stretch, we can back up to between the 18th and 19th century, if you like. The industrial revolution. It ran on steam power. Steam power needed calculus. Calculus needs infinite regression. And it needed it when it was developed, back in the 17th century.

Tell me when I get to a century you're comfortable in.

But we have to compromise. The 13th century won't cut it for me.

And neither will Craig. I've actually heard him say we can't subtract infinite cardinals. And that's just one example. Literally every time he says anything about the transfinites, it's cringeworthy. Craig excludes the infinite from reality because there can be no greatest infinite. With no winning endgame in sight, he kicks the table. The guy's not honest.

He has great teeth, though.

The infinite like that is not what is had in mind when talking about God.
                That would depend on what "is" is.

It's about a quality He has without limitation.
                There's a word for "without limitation."

Regards, J

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  But you're some guy on the internetzweb - who validates YOU!
                  The preacher posts on my ratemyprofessor page. The kids absolutely adore him.

They want to take him dancing.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    I dream of finishing that book one day. I've tried a couple times. I just need enough free time to plow all the way through it without having to put it aside for too long.
                    It came out in 79. I read it in the early 80s.

When was you born again, piglet?

In the late 80s, I was at a national conference where this immensely amusing fat guy wearing a raggy t-shirt, baggy shorts and flip flops, all under a small and graying ponytail, gave a featured lecture on Escher's woodblock tessellations. He was automorphism-ing at us, hopping all around the stage mimicking transformations that can turn a swan into farmland.

It was glorious.

Escher.jpg

My name's on a paper with the amusing fat guy. His name is on quite a few papers with Erdös.

Comment

Originally posted by rossum View Post
                      Yes.

2. Jesus does not know the day or the hour (Matthew 24:36).

3. Jesus is God.

You can have any two of the three without a logical contradiction. All three together give you a logical contradiction: God both knows everything and does not know everything.
                      Jesus in His humanity doesn't know everything. Jesus in His deity does. Jesus took upon Himself limitations in the incarnation.

Comment

Jesus in His humanity doesn't know everything. Jesus in His deity does. Jesus took upon Himself limitations in the incarnation.
                        Then there are two separate Jesuses: human-Jesus who does not know everything and divine-Jesus who does know everything. We can tell they are separate and different because one is omniscient and the other is not. Combining them into one entity results in a logical contradiction.

So, rewriting my points:

2. human-Jesus does not know the day or the hour (Matthew 24:36).

3. divine-Jesus is God.

4. human-Jesus and divine Jesus are not the same.

That resolves the contradiction at the cost of duplicating two differing versions of Jesus which cannot be the same: human-Jesus is not God, while divine-Jesus is.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
                          It came out in 79. I read it in the early 80s.

When was you born again, piglet?
                          I was born again in 1980, IIRC. Thanks for asking.

I saw a copy of the book on my uncle's coffee table a couple years ago, which surprised me a bit since he didn't seem the type. Turns out neither he nor my aunt have cracked it open - someone gave it to them. I've gotten about half-way, twice.
                          In the late 80s, I was at a national conference where this immensely amusing fat guy wearing a raggy t-shirt, baggy shorts and flip flops, all under a small and graying ponytail, gave a featured lecture on Escher's woodblock tessellations. He was automorphism-ing at us, hopping all around the stage mimicking transformations that can turn a swan into farmland.

It was glorious.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38592[/ATTACH]

My name's on a paper with the amusing fat guy. His name is on quite a few papers with Erdös.
                          I'm sure those names mean something to someone.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
                            Why do I keep getting the feeling only one of us is reading this thread.
                            I do consider those three laws as they are all aspects of how being behaves.

That was in response to the correction that all of them are essentially arbitrary given with specific theoretical and practical counter-examples supported by links to the original literature and popular treatments from Stanford's philosophy department.

I'm losing faith in you here, Nick.

You're not holding up your end.
                            Getting to that.

Now there's an awesome game if you want to play:
                            Construct an axiom system that excludes the existence of any divine being other than mine.
                            Not doing that. I think classical theology with the arguments for it could get you to Judaism, Christianity, Islam, perhaps Deism, or maybe some other system where God just hasn't revealed Himself yet. Philosophy alone cannot prove Christianity.

On the mountaintop, looking out at fame, fortune, and that night out with J Lo for the bucket list. Oh stop already, I'm thinking about me now, not you. Prizes go to players only. This could totally work. Aim at the most prosperous faith. Tell them you can prove the existence of their god.

Tell them your axioms are laws.
                            The problem I see with the examples given such as the Liar's Paradox and such are that there really is no subject matter. What is being lied about? Furthermore, if you want to say that there is more flexibility in reality and contradictions can be true or something of that sort, then if Christianity can work in a tight system, it can work in a more loose system so I don't see how that helps the case.

Let's restrict the list to people who know logics, k, and people who wouldn't laugh at your idea that arbitrary axioms are actually laws, kk?
                            Which sounds like just saying "Let's restrict the list to people who agree with me."

"If."

It's considerably more than just quantity, Nick.
                            The idea though is that God is not on a list such that you keep adding things up together and lo and behold, you get God. That's what I see going on when math is used in this regard.

Good for 'Quinas! Score one for a tiny glimmer of insight into a process that would one day be foundational to mathematics.

Now we know you haven't gotten around to looking at calculus yet.
                            Nor did I claim I have.

That's why those fuzzy logic industry rounds ran over.

Ready the ranging fire.

If the 21st century is too big a stretch, we can back up to between the 18th and 19th century, if you like. The industrial revolution. It ran on steam power. Steam power needed calculus. Calculus needs infinite regression. And it needed it when it was developed, back in the 17th century.

Tell me when I get to a century you're comfortable in.

But we have to compromise. The 13th century won't cut it for me.

And neither will Craig. I've actually heard him say we can't subtract infinite cardinals. And that's just one example. Literally every time he says anything about the transfinites, it's cringeworthy. Craig excludes the infinite from reality because there can be no greatest infinite. With no winning endgame in sight, he kicks the table. The guy's not honest.

He has great teeth, though.
                            I never used Craig in the sense you think I did. If anything, I was going against his position, and I say that as someone who considers Craig a friend. I like him, but I frankly don't use his material that much. The century ultimately also doesn't matter to me.

That would depend on what "is" is.

There's a word for "without limitation."

Regards, J
                            Yes, and if we say everything is limited, I have to ask by what. That strikes me as a system with everything being dependent on everything and not having a grounding.

Comment

Originally posted by rossum View Post
                              Then there are two separate Jesuses: human-Jesus who does not know everything and divine-Jesus who does know everything. We can tell they are separate and different because one is omniscient and the other is not. Combining them into one entity results in a logical contradiction.

So, rewriting my points:

2. human-Jesus does not know the day or the hour (Matthew 24:36).

3. divine-Jesus is God.

4. human-Jesus and divine Jesus are not the same.

That resolves the contradiction at the cost of duplicating two differing versions of Jesus which cannot be the same: human-Jesus is not God, while divine-Jesus is.
                              You're assuming a person and a nature are identical. They are not. This is the Nestorian idea. Jesus in His humanity did not know. Jesus in His divinity did know and took on the limitations of humanity.

Comment

You're assuming a person and a nature are identical. They are not. This is the Nestorian idea. Jesus in His humanity did not know. Jesus in His divinity did know and took on the limitations of humanity.
                                Jesus cannot both know and not know. That would give Jesus both A and ~A, an obvious logical contradiction.

Therefore, Jesus is a compound entity, like a chessboard. That can be both black and not-black because it is a compound of black and not-black squares.

Similarly, your Jesus is a compound of human-Jesus and divine-Jesus. The two are different because one knows and the other does not. Because they are different we should analyse them separately as two distinct entities.

My argument is not due to Nestorius but to Nagarjuna, the Buddhist philosopher.

As to person and nature, I accept the existence of persons, I do not accept the existence of nature/essence/soul as a concept. It is a projection by our minds onto external reality; a reification. Buddhism does not accept the existence of a soul.

Comment