Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Straight Pride Parade Permit Submitted To City Of Modesto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post
    Well the political systems of Greece and Rome and England as adopted by the US, which gave rise to the freedoms that fueled industrial revolution, did not start in China or the far east. So it is more about ideology than skin color, but it is fact that Caucasians created this. If other racial groups can be proud of their accomplishments why can't whites?
    You don't think this is a little childish? "They're doing it, why can't I?!" Just because some people wrongly take pride in their skin color doesn't make it right for others to do the same. And anyhow, you're missing the point in things like "black pride." While, yes, I'm certain there are black racists who think their blackness is something to be proud of, most black people are uniting and celebrating their shared heritage, which includes the survival of hundreds of years of slavery, civil rights abuses, and racism. We have pride parades every year for white people if that's what you so desperately need. They're called St. Patty's Day, Christopher Columbus Day, and Octoberfest.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
      Perhaps a European can take pride in the European history.
      OK, I'll go with that

But to make this something that refers to a racial component is transparently flirting with outright racism seer. And doing precisely that has a really dark and blistered history. Without invoking Godwin's law I can safely say its strongly associated with White Nationalism in all its toxic forms. For that sin alone, I think its wrong for "white" to invoke something like that.
      Would you say the same thing when Blacks take pride in black accomplishments? Or Chinese in Chinese accomplishments?
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
        Aren't there different ways you can take the word "pride"?

When a father says "I'm proud of my boy" I don't think he's committing the sin of Pride. I also don't think its a sin to have pride in being a human for instance. Because "pride" as a word here refers to different things. When its the sin of pride, isn't is more specifically referring vainglory? In holding yourself more than others, because of what you have achieved, or qualities you perceive yourself having that others don't, or in outright resisting the True and Good because you consider own values higher?
        Yeah, I think I agree with this.

Scripture Verse: 2 Corinthians 7:2

Make room in your hearts for us. We have wronged no one, we have corrupted no one, we have taken advantage of no one. 3 I do not say this to condemn you, for I said before that you are in our hearts, to die together and to live together. 4 I am acting with great boldness toward you; I have great pride in you; I am filled with comfort. In all our affliction, I am overflowing with joy.

© Copyright Original Source

Scripture Verse: 2 Corinthians 5:12

We are not commending ourselves to you again but giving you cause to boast about us, so that you may be able to answer those who boast about outward appearance and not about what is in the heart.

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
          You don't think this is a little childish? "They're doing it, why can't I?!" Just because some people wrongly take pride in their skin color doesn't make it right for others to do the same. And anyhow, you're missing the point in things like "black pride." While, yes, I'm certain there are black racists who think their blackness is something to be proud of, most black people are uniting and celebrating their shared heritage, which includes the survival of hundreds of years of slavery, civil rights abuses, and racism. We have pride parades every year for white people if that's what you so desperately need. They're called St. Patty's Day, Christopher Columbus Day, and Octoberfest.
          I don't need anything Adrift, I'm just tried of being the bane of humanity as a white person... The attacks on "whiteness" of late have been disconcerting at best, dangerous at worse.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Would you say the same thing when Blacks take pride in black accomplishments? Or Chinese in Chinese accomplishments?
            These two groups are not the same. And there's a lot of ambiguity as well, but I'm guessing you're referring to African-Americans living in the US and citizens of China?

The latter can clearly have national pride and love of their country, and their history without it being any problem at all. African Americans, are a specific group in the US that has faced over a century of institutionalized injustice against them, with lingering remnants of that history still there to be seen. When they have a Black Pride month, its not to boast of racial superiority (unlike Storm Front or Proud Boys), its to celebrate where they've come and to claim their right to be here and to move forward as equal members of society.

Comment

I don't need anything Adrift, I'm just tried of being the bane of humanity as a white person... The attacks on "whiteness" of late have been disconcerting at best, dangerous at worse.
              You're a son of God with power from on high. A joint-heir with Christ, destined for eternal glory. Who cares what the world thinks about your skin color. If it weren't that it'd be something else.

Comment

You're a son of God with power from on high. A joint-heir with Christ, destined for eternal glory. Who cares what the world thinks about your skin color. If it weren't that it'd be something else.
                Perhaps, but I see this as a deep reverse racism. And we should be against racism - correct?

Comment

Perhaps, but I see this as a deep reverse racism. And we should be against racism - correct?
                  By demonstrating our white pride? I think a better alternative would be to love on those people who are racist, and let them know that we're all created in the image of God.

Comment

As I said earlier, "they did it too" is not a real justification. Try using it next time you get pulled over for speeding and see how well it works for you.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      The bible is against arrogance and being boastful: Hubris.

Not being proud of your accomplishments or your children or your country.
                      Given the US's immense abortion totals, I just don't see anything to take pride in. If anything, we should be pleading for mercy.
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

By demonstrating our white pride? I think a better alternative would be to love on those people who are racist, and let them know that we're all created in the image of God.
                        No, by arguing that "whiteness" is not a disease, and that white people are not inherently evil. And yes we should love the Proud Boys...

Comment

Although it's not intended as a full defense for black pride/power, I think it should be understood as more similar to people who take pride in their German/Irish/Scandanavian heritage, because most African-Americans simply don't know where in Africa they came from due to the nature of the slave trade.

Comment

So you wouldn't see this fact as racist - correct?

Whiteness/Caucasian – the mass majority biological racial component of the developers of western civilization.
                            I wouldn't see the italicized phrase as racist? Huh? What does that have to do with what I wrote? No, I wouldn't see it as racist; it's simply a fact of geography and cultural development, since western Europe was by and large inhabited and settled by caucasians. Does anybody have anything to say about what I actually wrote?

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              Tell that to 2016 Democratic presidential candidate Martin O'Malley who was forced to issue an apology for saying that "All Lives Matter."
                              Again, context matters. I don't agree with that policing of speech that's too prevalent on the left, but in the context of a presidential campaign, just because he was forced to issue an apology does not mean that the BLM movement believes that some lives do not matter. That conclusion does not follow at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                I just said why.

Wouldn't a "White Lives Matter" group be racist?
                                I would say probably yes. People are historical and cultural by nature. That's a crucial and essential element of what differentiates us from other animals. As I said, history and context matter. BLM is meant to call attention to long-standing systemic inequities and injustice that members of the black race have experienced and continue to experience in America that white people have tended not to experience. Even black celebrities, such as the current Republican Senator from South Carolina, say they are routinely and regularly stopped by police for no reason at all other than for driving expensive late model cars. I haven't been stopped in over twenty years-- I don't drive a real expensive car but I don't drive a clunker either.

Comment