Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Straight Pride Parade Permit Submitted To City Of Modesto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jim B. View Post
    Why do you see "Black Lives Matter" as being racist?

So you wouldn't see this fact as racist - correct?

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
      Not a fan myself, but what do you guys think of the song God Bless the U.S.A. aka, Proud To Be An American?
      I am proud to be as humble as I am!

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
        Aren't there different ways you can take the word "pride"?

When a father says "I'm proud of my boy" I don't think he's committing the sin of Pride. I also don't think its a sin to have pride in being a human for instance. Because "pride" as a word here refers to different things. When its the sin of pride, isn't is more specifically referring vainglory? In holding yourself more than others, because of what you have achieved, or qualities you perceive yourself having that others don't, or in outright resisting the True and Good because you consider own values higher?
        I think it's pretty much attitude and direction - if I'm boasting about ME, it's pride, if it's me boasting about YOU, it's encouragement!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Also, it is not sinful to refer to a pride of lions. However, the act of throwing Daniel to a pride of lions was sinful. So, again, context matters.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

That's not what it's about. I used to think that too, and I definitely hear where you're coming from. Of course they acknowledge that all lives matter. That's a given.
            Tell that to 2016 Democratic presidential candidate Martin O'Malley who was forced to issue an apology for saying that "All Lives Matter."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
              So you wouldn't see this fact as racist - correct?

It is a pure accident of history that it was people with predominately low melanin concentration in their skin who started the industrial revolution. If it had started in China, someone could have written the above but focused on far eastern features.

So together with that, and them mentioning the scientifically dubious notion of "biological race" you have to ask yourself why they're highlighting a completely arbitrary feature? And that's when you realize who the founders are, and who are participating in these "Straight Pride Parades".

I do not want to get associated with that kind of racism, no matter what cloak it hides under seer.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                I think it's pretty much attitude and direction - if I'm boasting about ME, it's pride, if it's me boasting about YOU, it's encouragement!
                That's basically my take as well. In that way, I can imagine a Texan pride event. Where the focus is what Texans have in common. Though don't Texans already have like dozens of those. What are they called... chili cook-offs?

I also believe it's not a sin to take satisfaction and be happy about good results you've worked towards.

Comment

That's not what it's about. I used to think that too, and I definitely hear where you're coming from. Of course they acknowledge that all lives matter. That's a given. To emphasize that black lives matter is to acknowledge that there is an ongoing and historical disparity in how blacks have been treated by criminal justice and policing relative to whites. Statistics about routine police stops where all variables are held constant bear this out. Also incarceration rates and time served for the very same offenses also bear this out. To say "All Lives Matter" and leave it at that would be to leave unacknowledged this major disparity.
                  Forgive me if I don't accept your say-so on the bold bit; I've seen them condemn the very notion too many times. Do you have any support you can show for claiming that?
                  Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Why do you see "Black Lives Matter" as being racist?
                    I just said why.

Wouldn't a "White Lives Matter" group be racist?

Comment

The bible is against arrogance and being boastful: Hubris.

Not being proud of your accomplishments or your children or your country.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        The bible is against arrogance and being boastful: Hubris.

Not being proud of your accomplishments or your children or your country.
                        Then I don't think this concept can be directly transferred to the concept of pride events.

Comment

Then I don't think this concept can be directly transferred to the concept of pride events.
                          Being boastful about their sin?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            Being boastful about their sin?
                            In that specific case, because of that, yes. Because its called "pride" and is generically about defending ones right to be? No.

Comment

It is a pure accident of history that it was people with predominately low melanin concentration in their skin who started the industrial revolution. If it had started in China, someone could have written the above but focused on far eastern features.
                              Well the political systems of Greece and Rome and England as adopted by the US, which gave rise to the freedoms that fueled industrial revolution, did not start in China or the far east. So it is more about ideology than skin color, but it is fact that Caucasians created this. If other racial groups can be proud of their accomplishments why can't whites?
                              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                                Well the political systems of Greece and Rome and England as adopted by the US, which gave rise to the freedoms that fueled industrial revolution, did not start in China or the far east. So it is more about ideology than skin color, but it is fact that Caucasians created this. If other racial groups can be proud of their accomplishments why can't whites?
                                Because, again, you try to refer to something which doesn't exist. You are not greek. The idea that the Greeks and Scandinavians were the same "race" is ridiculous. I think a Greek person, can take pride in the history of their country in that sense. Perhaps a European can take pride in the European history.

But to make this something that refers to a racial component is transparently flirting with outright racism seer. And doing precisely that has a really dark and blistered history. Without invoking Godwin's law I can safely say its strongly associated with White Nationalism in all its toxic forms. For that sin alone, I think its wrong for "white" to invoke something like that.

Comment