Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Store Brands

THESE should actually be illegal...

HEB BBQ Chips.jpg

To me, they taste better than the Lays.

I remember when we used to try the "store brand", and they were usually pretty poor imitations, but HEB seems to be hitting home runs with their generics.

I did notice that Wally World will introduce their own brand of a product (Great Value), then after a while, the "original" disappears from the shelf, and the Walmart brand is the only one available.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

2. Amen QuantaFille amen'd this post.
    God, family, chicken! Bill the Cat's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I think I only pick store brands when I absolutely HAVE to. But, I've heard the legends of HEB generics from my bestie who used to live in San Antonio.

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    I think I only pick store brands when I absolutely HAVE to. But, I've heard the legends of HEB generics from my bestie who used to live in San Antonio.
    I think they actually strive to be - not simply a substitute - but BETTER than the original for less money.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I generally buy the Kroger brand of most things. They seem to be as good as the regular brand. Cheaper too.

We don't have any HEB stores here. And I don't shop at Wally Word much. Kroger is just up the road from me so I generally shop there, and also Aldi.

I find that Aldi has better produce and dairy than kroger. Especially fruit. Aldi uses local farmers whenever they can I believe. And I think the fruit tastes better. I think Kroger's fruit tastes bland, probably grown in greenhouses or something. And the milk and eggs are cheaper and seem to last longer than Kroger's.

6. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post

I find that Aldi has better produce and dairy than kroger. Especially fruit.
    I like Aldi a lot but I find their produce to be below average, especially their bananas.

Trader Joe's sets the gold standard for store brands.
    "Technology has, in an enhanced way, given mockers a platform to set society on fire with polarizing speech. Internet culture privileges those whose insults are click bait." - Timothy Keller

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I like Aldi a lot but I find their produce to be below average, especially their bananas.
    Maybe it depends on the Aldi store. I hear they use local farms so maybe your local farms are not as good as here?

Trader Joe's sets the gold standard for store brands.
    Overpriced junk in my opinion. Who wants to pay a premium price for a store brand?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Maybe it depends on the Aldi store. I hear they use local farms so maybe your local farms are not as good as here?
    It was the same pre move and before moving for me
    "Technology has, in an enhanced way, given mockers a platform to set society on fire with polarizing speech. Internet culture privileges those whose insults are click bait." - Timothy Keller

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    It was the same pre move and before moving for me
    "Pre move" and "before moving" are the same thing.

11. Amen Teallaura, One Bad Pig amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Oops

My favorite thing from Aldi is their Salisbury steak six packs, for less than $3.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I generally buy the Kroger brand of most things. They seem to be as good as the regular brand. Cheaper too.

We don't have any HEB stores here. And I don't shop at Wally Word much. Kroger is just up the road from me so I generally shop there, and also Aldi.

I find that Aldi has better produce and dairy than kroger. Especially fruit. Aldi uses local farmers whenever they can I believe. And I think the fruit tastes better. I think Kroger's fruit tastes bland, probably grown in greenhouses or something. And the milk and eggs are cheaper and seem to last longer than Kroger's.
    If you go into Krogers and see, say for instance, Green Giant and Bird's Eye veggies on the shelf along with the Kroger brand then it is a safe bet that the Kroger brand comes from one of those two companies.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

14. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.